• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    The P944 is the current model. Both it and the P94 say P94 on the side.

I looked at this gun and while it seems fine, Ruger only produces 10 round magazines for it and I could not find any larger aftermarket mags.

This is an awfully big gun to only carry 10 rounds with and even though you might be able to find bigger mags, they will likely be used and the supply will be unreliable.

The P-95 or SR9 might a be a better choice if you want a Ruger. They carry more bullets, weighs less and are cheaper. If you want a .40 caliber, there are several excellent choices other than the P944.

I am wanting something in .40 specifically, but it also depends on what catches my eye and fits my hand well at the 1500. Heck, I might even decide to go with a revolver instead. I've just heard good things about the Ruger.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ruger does make a nice gun. And they are tanks. That's both the upside and the downside of Rugers. They are tanks. Nice to shoot, but carry one all day without a proper holster and belt, and you'll look like a 17 year old wanna be rapper with his drawers hanging down... ;)

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Brought my P89, LCP, 1911, and G23, along with Buckmark and Redhawk to Pop's range last Sunday. Of the four autoloaders (excluding Buckmark), the two Ruger shot round after round with no incident. 1911 had twice double feeding, on the factory 7rd mags. I also used Colt factory 8rd mags and those were fine, which from my reading the 8-rounders that are flush fit should be the more troublesome ones. When it jammed, the 1911 was half way closed, with top round's nose in the chamber, out of the mag and sitting on top of it, and the top round in the mag holding the slide open. Glock on the other hand, gave me three light strikes, which all fired upon second try. I used all cheap ammo, WWB and Blazer Brass for 380, 9, and 40, and Federal 45 FMJ. All from Wally World. It doesn't mean the Colt and the Glock are unreliable (I haven't had stoppage before in them), just that the Rugers can digest cheap ammo really really well... :)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    The ruger line of autos are great ..if you dont mind a little bulk.I owned a p-85 9mm when they first offered it & loved it( did have a recall for the firing pin but took care of it)I currently have a p-94 in 40 cal & love it as well (they are built for abuse),It actually is close on dimensions to the sig 229 in 40 cal & I use the same don hume IWB holster for both pistols

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    They did make a P94 in 9MM, it is not a misprint.

I don't think they made very many in that chambering, relatively speaking, although they seem to be a little more common on the secondary market than the P91 (.40 version of the P89) or P93 (first compact 9mm, essentially a metal-framed P95).

I have a friend in LE out west who has had nothing but trouble from Ruger autos, but IME they are workhorses. My first handgun was a KP-95DC, and it was just as reliable as any of my Glocks. :eek: Downside is that they are physically large guns, and the trigger pull leaves something to be desired.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I have a P90 in 45 ACP and my Dad used to have the P94. The accuracy on the P94 was just terrible. 4-5" groups. The P90 is about 2" Everything I've read on the 2 guns has said pretty much the same thing. So I don't know if the P944 improved on the accuracy, but I'd go for the P90 in 45. Its not just a difference between the 40 and 45 as there are plenty of 40s that shoot fine.

Top Bottom