• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    A LGS had a Ruger Mark II 6 3/4 bull barrel model come in. I didn't look at the right side marking on it but if it ends up being a 'Government Target Model' does that make it more desirable than a regular Mark II model? It's the gun and one mag only, no box or paperwork included.

Curious to learn more about this model before I go back to look at it again. Thanks in advance for help with this; it looked really clean except for some scuffs around the muzzle mabye from holster wear.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Some info in this article:

if stamped US on the right side it is a rare one:

A very limited number with a “U.S.” marking on the right side of the frame—perhaps no more than 25—are believed to have found their way to civilian hands.
    Possible source for more info:

It's an interesting rabbit hole.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I just picked up one of these recently. Besides the chamber work, they were sighted at the factory with some kind of laser sighting apparatus. Rifling is supposed to be a bit tighter. All the special work done for the US target models was done for these - just marked "Government" instead of "US." Originals came with a factory-fired target.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    A LGS had a Ruger Mark II 6 3/4 bull barrel model come in. I didn't look at the right side marking on it but if it ends up being a 'Government Target Model' does that make it more desirable than a regular Mark II model? It's the gun and one mag only, no box or paperwork included.

Curious to learn more about this model before I go back to look at it again. Thanks in advance for help with this; it looked really clean except for some scuffs around the muzzle mabye from holster wear.
    Yes they are more desirable than the regular Mark 2. The Government is sought after by many. I have a Competition Target model which is similar, but would still love to have a Government model

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Everybody likes pics right? I have three more not in the pic, The Mark 2 is a great pistol and not made anymore. OP if you can buy this for a fair price do it! Or tell me where it is and I may add one more to my collection. Below is one of my favorites.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Interesting thread from The High Road:

Some nice pics there.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Some info in this article:

if stamped US on the right side it is a rare one:

Possible source for more info:

It's an interesting rabbit hole.
    Thanks for the links marvin02, they were very informative.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Yes they are more desirable than the regular Mark 2. The Government is sought after by many. I have a Competition Target model which is similar, but would still love to have a Government model
    Thanks Jaybird1980, I have only seen them on gunbroker and not in person. Sure sounds like it would be a nice one to get.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Everybody likes pics right? I have three more not in the pic, The Mark 2 is a great pistol and not made anymore. OP if you can buy this for a fair price do it! Or tell me where it is and I may add one more to my collection. Below is one of my favorites.

Wow Longhair, those are absolutely beautiful MK iis you have there. The stainless models really jump out at you!

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County

I had one for 20+ years. It looks like a pistol but will group like a rifle if you do your part.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The first pistol I bought was the ruger mark 2 government target model. Still have it. Will always have it. Have the box target paperwork and original grips but she wears wooden finger grips with the ruger logo in them and has since I bought it.
    other weird target versions were an 8 inch version, the more popular 10 inch.

pain to clean yes until you do it over and over.

Go back and buy it. Buy it twice if they have two.

Top Bottom