Ruger GP100 Trigger - How does it compare to Smith & Wesson?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have always wanted to own a Ruger GP100 .357 Mag revolver based on their reputation for strength and reliability. I never bit on one due to not knowing if the trigger would be as good as or close to the triggers on my S&W K/L frames.

For those who have shot both, how does the Ruger trigger compare? Can the Ruger trigger be slicked up to a comparable level by a competent smith?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    These are not gun writer words more a user trying to explain the deference in something hard to explain. I shall try smith 586 born on date 1985 ish and GP100 was a K (stainless) first year or maybe 2’nd year they made them so about 1986. Both were 6 inch barrels.

The single action pull was about equal. The smith broke well. the ruger with a little more grit feel but that was surely a fix that a good revolver smith or talented individual Could make with a better polish.

The double action was different. The smith had a very heavy stack then a wall which was the same point in the pull then the break. The ruger had less of a heavy stack and hit the wall but had there was some play before the break.

neither are as good as the colt trooper mark V from about 1979 in double action. I don’t know what they did to make the double action pull so nice and repeatable but is was better than both above in double action. Single action was equal to above. This was in a 4 inch revolver not 6 but I don’t think that it would matter. it also to me shot better in double action than any other colt I have shot. Troopers lawmen detective specials and yes the python. Single action goes to the python no question but double action the mark v.

I know single action trigger better in single shot rifles and pistols.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Out of the box I easily favor the vintage S&W K/L frame trigger.

I have shot Rugers with very good triggers after a visit to a good gunsmith. For me though the trigger work made the Ruger trigger action close to the stock S&W action but did not exceed it.

I still prefer a really good stock S&W trigger right out of the box that will light off my handloads without having to use Federal primers.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have a GP100 and a Model 66, as well as a number of J-Frames and a Model 69.

The Model 69 has the best trigger of them all, but I did a lot of work to make it that way, and it was pretty bad from the factory.

My model 66 has a passable trigger, but it's nothing exceptional. The SA is heavy and the DA is a bit stacky, even after some light polishing.

My GP100 is at least the equal of my 66 in SA, and the DA is much smoother throughout. The GP100's pull is more consistent than the 66 through it's full travel, which IMO is important for a DA trigger. Between the two, I'd take the GP100 any day of the week, even though it hurts me to say that because the 66 is a beautiful -4 pre-lock model.

Both guns are pretty easy to work on and smooth up. The Ruger has a modular trigger assembly that comes out as a unit. The S&W has a side plate and pins. IMO the Ruger design is quite a bit more robust, not only in the pressure-bearing surfaces but also the internal mechanicals. Break one of those little pins off in an S&W (like the rebound slide pin) and you now have a very expensive paperweight. They're very different inside, but I'd say they're about equal in difficulty to work on...it's just easier to damage a Smith if you do it wrong.

A good S&W trigger is a thing of beauty. If you get it right, it'll probably be better than any Ruger. But there's no guarantees that you'll get a good one, and the Ruger is pretty nice out of the box and can be made supurb.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Owned an early GP-100 along with a few 686s in the 1980s. At least in SA the Smiths were far and away better. No gritty creep just a clean crisp break. Although the DA on both were pretty good. Also had a Super Redhawk which was on par with the GP-100 in SA.

Used to shoot indoor revolver matches where one handed shooting was required and nearly everyone shot some variation of Smith & Wesson like the old Model 15 or Model 19 with 38s. Had one shooter with a Colt Python that did very well too.

With that said I do wish I had kept the GP-100 , back then I bought mine in Wilmington , NC for $298. A lot more these days!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A Ruger DA trigger can be improved quite a bit but it will never feel like a tuned S&W DA trigger because the geometry of the moving parts is COMPLETELY different. I own and have tuned both types and I'll put the S&W up against any of the Rugers as far as how it "feels". Ruger does make a better heavy caliber revolver for serious long range shooting (200 yds.) - the S&W just can't hold up like the Ruger in heavy Magnum loadings.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I assume we are talking relatively new production models?

Out of the box, the edge will go to SW. They are (generally) better finished throughout and that reflects in the trigger.

Quality control being what it is today, a sample of one may not always result in the fore mentioned.

Sounds like you want one just to have one (which in my world is an extremely good reason!). I would suggest finding a nice used one with some rounds through it. If the trigger hasn't smoothed out enough to compete with your Smiths - work can be done. My guess is that, if you are happy with stock SW triggers, you will be quite happy with a Ruger.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have always wanted to own a Ruger GP100 .357 Mag revolver based on their reputation for strength and reliability. I never bit on one due to not knowing if the trigger would be as good as or close to the triggers on my S&W K/L frames.

For those who have shot both, how does the Ruger trigger compare? Can the Ruger trigger be slicked up to a comparable level by a competent smith?

S&W tuned to be primer sensitive will always be lighter, but the days of Ruger just being worse out of the box are well over. The GP100 WC and GP100 MC I bought were both pretty nice out of the box. The only terrible out of the box trigger I got was a Redhawk, which uses a completely different setup. After having a gun smith deburr and polish it, and install a longer firing pin, it's real nice as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While a Ruger can be cleaned up trigger wise, the grip angle etc just seems off.
    Smiths fit me better.
    Heck I like the trigger shape on Smiths better than Colts.

One of the advantages of revolvers is the "grip angle" can be pretty much whatever you want it to be. Just swap grips.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    There has never been a Ruger revolver trigger, out of the box, that was anywhere close to a S&W N/K/L frame revolver. That being said, no reloading manuals that I own have a "S&W ONLY” loads section either.
    Two different animals.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know about grips to change feel. Run Hogues. Still doesnt solve the Ruger issue for me.

Since the GP100 just has a stub frame, you can buy or make stocks or a grip for about any angle and/or length of pull. Not just feel but physical measurements. If you want a lower "point", try the OEM Match Champion grip. It's a fatty up top in the web of the thumb.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    What a diverse set of opinions. Now I guess we know why we need so many gun companies. Personally, I like them all and find they smooth out considerably after the first few hundred rounds.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I have both a S&W 686-6 and GP100, both unmodified.

The trigger on the S&W is very smooth and very consistent. I can't feel any grittiness or hear any clicks as its pulled. Just a consistent smooth pull until it breaks.

The Ruger on the other hand is not as refined as the S&W but it's not bad either. I just prefer the S&W trigger. That being said, I'll only fire hot .357 magnum loads out of the Ruger. It's a rugged, steel beast of a gun and I carried it in a chest rig while in the remote mountains of Idaho with Buffalo Bore Heavy 180gr hard cast rounds.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have a GP 100 4 & 6 INCH, 19 4inch, 66 4 & 2.5 inch. I followed the video that MCARBO did on the GP 100 and it has a beautiful trigger. I love my Smiths but the Gp 100 is built stronger and I like the balance better

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I have a 2.5" Gp100 I bought new a few years back, I swapped the springs in the trigger and it is one of the smoothest triggers I have ever had on a revolver, another added benefit of the GP100 is some models have replaceable front sights that are easy to swap out.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have a 2.5" Gp100 I bought new a few years back, I swapped the springs in the trigger and it is one of the smoothest triggers I have ever had on a revolver, another added benefit of the GP100 is some models have replaceable front sights that are easy to swap out.
    The front sight swap is a good feature. I have a couple of S&W revolvers that do that too. I wish more models did that.

Top Bottom