• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    i have been looking at ruger 10"bbl chargers, i read something about a goofy rule that said if you put a brace on it, it has to have less that a 13.5" length of pull? is that true? if i wanted to put a standard ar-15 buffer tube and brace would that make the LOP too long to be legal? Thanks

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i have been looking at ruger 10"bbl chargers, i read something about a goofy rule that said if you put a brace on it, it has to have less that a 14.5" length of pull? is that true? if i wanted to put a standard ar-15 buffer tube and stock would that make the LOP to long to be legal? Thanks
    Would putting a stock (as opposed to a brace) on it make it an SBR?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    from what i have read, no it wouldnt, as long as it has a shorter LOP than the 14" or what ever the length is.
    Even though its a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length?

I'm not talking brace, as you specifically mentioned "a stock"

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    Even though its a handgun fitted with a buttstock and a barrel of less than 16 inches length?

I'm not talking brace, as you specifically mentioned "a stock"
    from everything i have read and watched on youtube its ok, from what i understand the brace does not have to have a strap to put on your arm just so long as the LOP is 13.5 or less.

Last edited:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    from everything i have read and watched on youtube its ok, from what i understand the brace or stock does not have to have a strap to put on your arm just so long as the LOP is 13.5 or less.
    Yeah, no; a brace is basically forbidden by ATF; pending trials, injunctions and appeals. And if you’re mounting a stock, well it’s a stock; automatic SBR. There’s no LOP defined or mentioned in the NFA, that was an opinion of a single ATF agent about braces, used as braces; not as stocks.

ATF has NEVER said it was okay to us a brace as a stock and before anyone presents the ATF letter that every one of your favorite gun channels said was the ATF blessing the use of a brace as a shoulder stock… that letter said “incidental, situational or sporadic” shouldering didn’t necessarily make an SBR

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    from everything i have read and watched on youtube its ok, from what i understand the brace or stock does not have to have a strap to put on your arm just so long as the LOP is 13.5 or less.
    Nope...by definition, a rifle has an overall length of 26" or more with a barrel that is 16" or longer...no mention of LOP anywhere.
    If it has a barrel that is less than 16" in length, and you put a 'stock' on it, it's now an SBR...based on an overall length of less than 26" and less than 16" barrel...and it's now a Class III weapon and requires a tax stamp.
    If it has a barrel that is less than 16" in length, and you put a 'brace' on it, it's now considered a pistol and no tax stamp is required.
    However, a rifle or SBR (stock) can be shouldered consistently and be intentional whereas shouldering a pistol (brace) can only be 'incidental, situational, or sporadic' and should not be done consistently or intentionally!

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    im so confused about this. so to be considered a brace to be legal it has to have a velcro strap on it to be legal? then its ok to add to add a "brace" with a strap to a ruger charger? i was also wondering about this tippman micro, am i allowed to buy one of these without a tax stamp?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    im so confused about this. so to be considered a brace to be legal it has to have a velcro strap on it to be legal? then its ok to add to add a "brace" with a strap to a ruger charger? i was also wondering about this tippman micro, am i allowed to buy one of these without a tax stamp?

Currently with the injunctions that have been placed on the ATF's "rules" updates from last year, yes you can put a product that meets the definition of a brace on a pistol. This of course is subject to change as the cases move through the courts or if the ATF feels like it and issues some different rules.

If you install a stock then it needs to have an NFA stamp.

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    A stock goes on a rifle so it can be shouldered for firing. A brace goes on a pistol and is not "intended" to be used to shoulder the pistol for firing.
    so legally they are the same exact thing? its just how you hold them? a stock turns into a brace when you hold it out and dont shoulder it?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    so legally they are the same exact thing? its just how you hold them? a stock turns into a brace when you hold it out and dont shoulder it?
    I did not say that, and you are getting all twisted up on minutia. They are not "legally" the same. By GCA definition, a pistol is designed to be fired one handed. It is illegal to put a stock on a pistol, or to put a fore-grip/fore-end on a pistol so as to fire it with two hands or from the shoulder. A brace is not a stock, it is intended to be used against the forearm to "BRACE" the pistol against the arm for those that do not have the physical ability to steady the pistol otherwise.

May I suggest that you go to the ATF website and look at the Gun Control Act of 68- as Amended, and the National Firearms Act of 1934, as amended. You will find much information there, even though it may be somewhat confusing. Do not follow old posts on u-tube for legal info!

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    I did not say that, and you are getting all twisted up on minutia. They are not "legally" the same. By GCA definition, a pistol is designed to be fired one handed. It is illegal to put a stock on a pistol, or to put a fore-grip/fore-end on a pistol so as to fire it with two hands or from the shoulder. A brace is not a stock, it is intended to be used against the forearm to "BRACE" the pistol against the arm for those that do not have the physical ability to steady the pistol otherwise.

May I suggest that you go to the ATF website and look at the Gun Control Act of 68- as Amended, and the National Firearms Act of 1934, as amended. You will find much information there, even though it may be somewhat confusing. Do not follow old posts on u-tube for legal info!
    ok, i will look into that. i just called my local gun shop owner, i figured he would know all the answers about it, but he wasnt sure either. i guess the rules are changing day by day. he did tell me he thinks braces are ok now, but its supposed to have a strap on it.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    ok, i will look into that. i just called my local gun shop owner, i figured he would know all the answers about it, but he wasnt sure either. i guess the rules are changing day by day.
    Yes, the rules are ever changing anymore. Stupid agencies making up new rules everyday, then getting sued to block implementation because they don't have the authority to make rules with the effect of law. Have to stay on your toes to keep ahead of the game.

Top Bottom