• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Since dad is the Santa around here, I've been thinking about what dad is getting under the tree. I saw an email from SPB for a Ruger AR556 8529 with a soft case, 3 30rd mags and a Primary Arms red dot for $879. Some basic research shows good reviews and what seems to be a reasonable price (for 2021 anyway.) As an intro to AR life, what do you experts think?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ruger has always made a great economic firearm, that said they often do things that “cut corners” (and that’s not a bad thing!)

In this instance they have a proprietary hand guard that you can’t change unless you also change the barrel nut (or at least that was the way it was when the introduced their ar15) so if your dad wanted to put a rail on it, he’d have to change the barrel nut to a standard ar15 nut to change the hand guard, (unless he just wanted to put a rail section in the holes that are already in the guard)

But when Ruger introduced their ar15 theirs included the forward assist and the dust cover, which the dpms and smith ar’s didn’t have, so soon after that, both of those companies added them back to the gun, and at the same msrp as the Ruger!

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Ruger has always made a great economic firearm, that said they often do things that “cut corners” (and that’s not a bad thing!)

In this instance they have a proprietary hand guard that you can’t change unless you also change the barrel nut (or at least that was the way it was when the introduced their ar15) so if your dad wanted to put a rail on it, he’d have to change the barrel nut to a standard ar15 nut to change the hand guard, (unless he just wanted to put a rail section in the holes that are already in the guard)

But when Ruger introduced their ar15 theirs included the forward assist and the dust cover, which the dpms and smith ar’s didn’t have, so soon after that, both of those companies added them back to the gun, and at the same msrp as the Ruger!
    thanks. You got me digging down that rabbit hole, and i see there’s a S&w sport bundle at SPB for $80 less, which oddly seems to be the same price as the rifle on its own ¯\_( ツ)_/¯ .

So it looks like i’m writing off today for some quality AR review reading.

By the way dad & Santa are the same person, a.k.a., me. ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have no problem with mine, for the price it is very good. I did upgrade the charging handle, that was the only issue I had.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ok so if that’s what you really want to do, palmetto state sells assembled lowers and uppers, no optic no mags and no case, 150 for the lower and 300 for the upper (with magpul fed furniture)

I always hated “packages” cause your stuck buying I what they want to sell you, what if you don’t want a primary arms optic? Or the cheapest rifle case they stock? Then all your doing is buying parts to replace parts you already paid for!

Just my two cents

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Since dad is the Santa around here, I've been thinking about what dad is getting under the tree. I saw an email from SPB for a Ruger AR556 8529 with a soft case, 3 30rd mags and a Primary Arms red dot for $879. Some basic research shows good reviews and what seems to be a reasonable price (for 2021 anyway.) As an intro to AR life, what do you experts think?
    That has a free float Mlok hand guard. Only time I can think of a hand guard change would be if you want a longer or shorter one. If it breaks call Ruger for a replacement.

My son has one he loves it.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My son's first rifle purchase was a Ruger AR, he loves it....He hasn't let me shoot it yet....
    OP that doesn't seem to be a bad price.....

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I recall hearing about a lot of quality control issues on the Ruger ARs. The MPR was pretty notorious for under-gassing issues. These were like $400 during the good times.

I'd treat it like a PSA, factor in a few hundred rounds of testing ammo, do some more detailed personal inspection, and be ready to send it back if there's problems.

Price also seems high, aren't PA dots like a hundred bucks now? PMAGS are still nine or ten bucks.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

GTG!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Going to Bardstown, Ky this morning to pick up a new in the box Colt 6920 for $899. 1 in 7 twist, 5.56 or .223, flip up rear sight, ready to go pop pop pop...

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Going to Bardstown, Ky this morning to pick up a new in the box Colt 6920 for $899. 1 in 7 twist, 5.56 or .223, flip up rear sight, ready to go pop pop pop...
    Muy bueno! Do you have to be back in Crawford County before dark? ;)

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Definitely not an expert here, but my personal opinion.

You say as an intro to AR life, so I'm assuming this is your first. Be warned, it probably won't be your last

That being said, I'm sure that rifle would serve you just fine. It's not a top tier rifle, but it isn't junk. It will serve you great as a fun plinker at the range and be plenty suitable for defense if need be.
    Let's be honest, not everyone "needs" a $3000 rifle setup. Everyone is different, some just like to have fun at the range, others put their rifle through the ringer, several hard use training classes a year, or completion shooting...truth is, that rifle will work just fine for what most people need.

Also, being your first one, that's perfect. Spend some time on the range with it, get familiar with the platform, then when its time for the next one you know what you actually want and know what features or upgrades will fit you best. You can waste alot of money on all the newest and flashy "upgrades" out there, when in reality they don't even suit you yourself.

Anyway, I will stop rambling now, good luck with your decision and congrats on your near future purchase!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Wait...what? You're "crossing" state lines??..........Ok.. dayum thats a good price for a Colt! KyGunCo?
    Last time I went to Kentucky I got caught with some books, they charged me with smuggling books, I got off on a technicality....they couldn't prove they were books.......ba dum dum......

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Does the Crawford County passport application include questions about your last Elvis sighting?
    It had a math question: If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take a monkey with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

Top Bottom