• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Hey all,

I am planning on buying a 10/22 for Christmas. I want a gun that I can honestly just take to the range and have fun with but shoot pretty decent groups. I plan on just putting a scope, bipod, and possibly new trigger on it. It got me wondering if there was anything better than the 10/22 for noticeable accuracy improvement? Or any other benefits to any others? I know the 10/22 has the most accessories and everything under the sun for it. I can get new stocks and magazines readily available and anything else under the sun but are there any benefits to any others? Do the savages or Marlins have any benefits? Are they more accurate? Is there any gun that is better and still this cheap?

Josh

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My Marlin model 60 gives my stock 10/22 a run for the money with the right ammo. If you really want accuracy right out of the box, look at a CZ 452/455. Cost a bit more but worth every penny.

res04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Cant beat the Ruger. I have tried others and had a hard time even finding spare mags. They all shot well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm a little confused on what you want out of it. Are you wanting something you can blast with, or something to be very precise with? If you're thinking you want to run some mag dumps, the 10-22 will work just fine for that. If you're looking for more precision, then you may want to start thinking about a savage, marlin, or cz bolt action. Over time though, you're probably going to want both. I have a 10-22 that I enjoy shooting a lot, but it's more of a utility gun for me anymore. I also have a savage fv-sr that I enjoy plinking with out to 300 yards. There's probably some more accurate 22lr's out there than the ones I've got, but they suit my needs. The 10-22 is when I want to practice something, or go after a little critter. The savage is when I want to slow and methodically stretch out the 22lr.

The best part is, we live in great times in terms of having a large selection of accurate and reliable 22lr's. You really can't go wrong.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Savages ate excellent rifles. Marlins have better barrels. Neither has the volume of accessories. CZs are Cadillacs

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My Marlin Model 60 will out shoot my dad's and my brother's 10/22 every time. I do like the ability to quickly change out a magazine, but I like accuracy better so I stick with my tube feed.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IMHO, almost anything beats the Ruger in stock form. If you're wanting a rifle you can customize, then yeah, you want the Ruger. But in stock form, I think the Savage 64 or Marlin 60 is a better value.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Hey all,

I am planning on buying a 10/22 for Christmas. I want a gun that I can honestly just take to the range and have fun with but shoot pretty decent groups. I plan on just putting a scope, bipod, and possibly new trigger on it. It got me wondering if there was anything better than the 10/22 for noticeable accuracy improvement? Or any other benefits to any others? I know the 10/22 has the most accessories and everything under the sun for it. I can get new stocks and magazines readily available and anything else under the sun but are there any benefits to any others? Do the savages or Marlins have any benefits? Are they more accurate? Is there any gun that is better and still this cheap?

Josh

Follow this link to see what kind of groups a Marlin 795 can do with Tech Sights, a web sling, and somebody who knows what they're doing behind the trigger.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...pleseed-shoot-nashville-december-7-8-a-3.html

Truth be told, any 22 rifle that you buy can shoot groups like this if you can do your part ... can you? If not, get yourself and your rifle to an Appleseed and get some training.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I put a 16" bull barrel on my 10-22, a Hogue stock, and polished the bejeezus out of the trigger group. Sold the barrel and stock. It's now shooting better than I can, but I'm getting better. Next I want a Savage FV-SR bolt gun. The Savage triggers are pretty slick. .22s don't break the bank, so you can explore several options!

ol' poke

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    My Marlin model 60 gives my stock 10/22 a run for the money with the right ammo. If you really want accuracy right out of the box, look at a CZ 452/455. Cost a bit more but worth every penny.

Is there actually any good cz that is semi auto and not bolt action? Is the bolt action better? I just see the semi auto as easier and more efficient.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    I'm a little confused on what you want out of it. Are you wanting something you can blast with, or something to be very precise with? If you're thinking you want to run some mag dumps, the 10-22 will work just fine for that. If you're looking for more precision, then you may want to start thinking about a savage, marlin, or cz bolt action. Over time though, you're probably going to want both. I have a 10-22 that I enjoy shooting a lot, but it's more of a utility gun for me anymore. I also have a savage fv-sr that I enjoy plinking with out to 300 yards. There's probably some more accurate 22lr's out there than the ones I've got, but they suit my needs. The 10-22 is when I want to practice something, or go after a little critter. The savage is when I want to slow and methodically stretch out the 22lr.

The best part is, we live in great times in terms of having a large selection of accurate and reliable 22lr's. You really can't go wrong.

I want a gun that is more for plinking than absolute accuracy. I have a range that can go out to 150 yards and want to at least be able to hit pretty decent groups at that point. Its not for pure precision. I really wanted to get my fiance into shooting and she liked my brothers 15-22 so I wanted to get a gun that she can practice on and yet I can still take to the range and be able to play with accurately.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    CZ makes a rimfire semi auto but its $400.

A Marlin Model 60 and a 795 have identically cut barrels. for that matter, all of Marlin's rimfire barrels are cut identically using their microgroove method, including the match barrels they made back int he late 80s and early 90s. When it comes down to plain old barrel quality, Marlin surpasses the others in its entry level price range IMO. My problems with the Marlins begins with the skinnyness of the stock. I like it a little beefier. The Rem597 and Ruger 10-22 fit that. My problem with Ruger is that it is overpriced for its quality. Its serviceable, no doubt, and I own one that I love, but it is covered in milling marks, had a bump on the hammer trunnion that I could feel through the trigger ( I fixed that), and the stock sights are so poor that they can be broken simply by attempting to adjust elevation on the rear sight.

None of them are perfect.

If cost is an issue, the Rem 597 or the Marlin LTR 795 is good right out of the box. If cost is less of an issue but still a factor, the 10-22 is a fine choice but will probably need new sights or a scope to make you happy. If cost isn't an issue the CZ would be pretty sweet or a Marlin 7000T.

If you aren't married to the semi autos a CZ MT would be pretty sweet or a Marlin XT.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I want a gun that is more for plinking than absolute accuracy. I have a range that can go out to 150 yards and want to at least be able to hit pretty decent groups at that point. Its not for pure precision. I really wanted to get my fiance into shooting and she liked my brothers 15-22 so I wanted to get a gun that she can practice on and yet I can still take to the range and be able to play with accurately.

If you're looking to hit some steel or paper at 150 yards, then you're probably not going to be very happy with a completely stock 10-22. Doesn't sound like a bolt action is going to make your lady happy, and a regular 10-22 without upgrades probably isn't going to put a grin on anyones face. I think I'd lean towards a marlin model 60 in this case.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    If you're looking to hit some steel or paper at 150 yards, then you're probably not going to be very happy with a completely stock 10-22. Doesn't sound like a bolt action is going to make your lady happy, and a regular 10-22 without upgrades probably isn't going to put a grin on anyones face. I think I'd lean towards a marlin model 60 in this case.

Wow the marlin is that good? And you would pick that over the savage? Everyone seems to like the savages for accuracy? Also if I did marlin I would do 795. Same gun just mag fed and I found 25 round mags for pretty cheap online.

As for stock, I plan on getting a 3-9x40 scope and bipod now , and possibly new trigger in the long run. I do want to upgrade the gun. But yeah I don't think she will like the bolt action as much.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Wow the marlin is that good? And you would pick that over the savage? Everyone seems to like the savages for accuracy? Also if I did marlin I would do 795. Same gun just mag fed and I found 25 round mags for pretty cheap online.

As for stock, I plan on getting a 3-9x40 scope and bipod now , and possibly new trigger in the long run. I do want to upgrade the gun. But yeah I don't think she will like the bolt action as much.

Yes, Marlin's are that good!

And to pick nits ... all Marlins (hell, all rifles) are magazine fed except the single shots ... some have a built in tube magazine, some have a detachable box magazine, some have built in box magazines, some even use a clip to charge the magazine ... sorry ... you hit one of my (many) hot buttons there.

Back from my moment of insanity ... You're talking like you want to spend a lot of money on upgrades. BEFORE you do that, attend an Appleseed to find out what your rifle can do with simple peep sights and a GI web sling ... you won't be sorry, and I guarantee that you'll not spend quite so much in "upgrades" if you apply what you learn.

Finally, you've got to stop thinking for your girl ... that will ONLY lead to trouble ... trust me on this one! Take her to an Appleseed with you. If you talk with the Shoot Boss, I'm sure they can scrounge up just about any type of 22 rifle that you'd like to try. If you let her decide what she likes and doesn't like, you'll look like the hero and she'll be more inclined to spend more time behind the trigger of "her" gun. That, my friend, is a win-win for you.

jtwilson3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    Yes, Marlin's are that good!

And to pick nits ... all Marlins (hell, all rifles) are magazine fed except the single shots ... some have a built in tube magazine, some have a detachable box magazine, some have built in box magazines, some even use a clip to charge the magazine ... sorry ... you hit one of my (many) hot buttons there.

Back from my moment of insanity ... You're talking like you want to spend a lot of money on upgrades. BEFORE you do that, attend an Appleseed to find out what your rifle can do with simple peep sights and a GI web sling ... you won't be sorry, and I guarantee that you'll not spend quite so much in "upgrades" if you apply what you learn.

Finally, you've got to stop thinking for your girl ... that will ONLY lead to trouble ... trust me on this one! Take her to an Appleseed with you. If you talk with the Shoot Boss, I'm sure they can scrounge up just about any type of 22 rifle that you'd like to try. If you let her decide what she likes and doesn't like, you'll look like the hero and she'll be more inclined to spend more time behind the trigger of "her" gun. That, my friend, is a win-win for you.

Ok so lets say I do go with Marlin do I go with the 60 or the 795?
    Sorry about the magazine fed thing. I see what you're saying. I appreciate the niceness you actually stated it with. I have no problem learning so long as people are polite as you were.

And what is an appleseed? I have heard of them being an event but nothing more? And what are so good about peep sights? Are they the tech sights that everyone loves?

As for upgrades I'm not spending a whole lot. I am planning on a cheaper scope (Vortex or Mueller apt, possibly tasco world class mil dot to start with) and a bipod. Then later on when I get my tax check getting a new trigger guard. Only planning on about $150 in upgrades.

Top Bottom