• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Awesome weekend! Several earned the Bacon and all played a role in making it a great event.

Congrats and thanks to each of you, more details and pics soon!

:popcorn:

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    It was a fantastic weekend, and I will be sure to post more about that (and pictures) later; I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that Congressman Rokita posted a few comments about his visit to the event, along with some pictures, on his official Facebook page today.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Great weekend as always. Some new faces, and some old faces, but not a whole lot different than my first time being taught by ATM & crew at Crawfordsville. I got the Bacon once again, but still am chasing the perfect score!

Most excellent that Mr. Rokita showed up and took the time to speak with us and answer some questions.

Tyler (My Son in Law) improved greatly over this weekend, and I think he caught a glimpse of why I enjoy so many INGO members, as well as a newfound knowledge towards becoming a better marksman.

Mr. Rokita said I looked familiar, and asked if we met before. We had not... so now I am wondering if maybe my face is on a govt watchlist or something!!! :runaway: I can only assume that my choice to wear pants this weekend helped to disguise me!

Seriously, thanks to all involved. Great meeting all the new faces (even though I knew some of your names here on INGO already)

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I am sore and exhausted after a great day of training with Revere's Marksmen in Crawfordsville. As always, ATM, TJ and Indygunguy ran a very safe and very rewarding two days of training. The story of April 19, 1775 never gets old when being told by such passionate story tellers. The group of shooters was a nice mix of men, women and young folks. Myself and two guests, Alex and Onion saw our groups shrink as instruction progressed. As a neat surprise, Rep. Todd Rokita stopped by at lunch time on Saturday and spoke a bit about civic engagement. It was a great weekend.

HAZZZZAAAAHHHH!!! A perfect string on my first string. And extra points because I shot "Morgan's Shingle" with a cold barrel.
    WP_20151024_007.jpg

More pictures and comments later this evening.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Only managed to make it out for Sunday's activities but what a great time.
    Superb instruction, camaraderie, history and bacon!
    It was great to share the experience with the younger attendees who did fantastic.
    Seeing them being able to get behind an M1 and send rounds down range......priceless.
    Always great to see some old friends and make new ones too.
    Thanks to ATM and the crew for a Stella job.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Just a few pics from the weekend...

Where in the HELL is my SLING? I don't EVER shoot without a sling? Was I adjusting my scope reticle? Stock length? I am confused and bamboozled!
    plus my leg needs to be raised more.
    I think this photo was doctored!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Where in the HELL is my SLING? I don't EVER shoot without a sling? Was I adjusting my scope reticle? Stock length? I am confused and bamboozled!
    plus my leg needs to be raised more.
    I think this photo was doctored!

Or... maybe you had finished that string of fire and were just admiring your shot groups.

I never saw you firing without proper sling support, [STRIKE]I'd have been on you like[/STRIKE] ...well, I'd have mentioned it. ;)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...plus my leg needs to be raised more. ...

Why do you say that?

Great photos, by the way, ATM. Looks like a pretty nice day on the range, sorry this weekend didn't work out for me. Well...I worked...just not at shooting.

-Nate

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Why do you say that?

Great photos, by the way, ATM. Looks like a pretty nice day on the range, sorry this weekend didn't work out for me. Well...I worked...just not at shooting.

-Nate

Leg position is one of the many steady hold factors taught at these events, which cover the various field rifle shooting positions. Come to one and we'll show you all of them!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I can't get my right leg up as high as IndyGunGuy does, but generally I try to at least get my calf in line with the rifle. In that photo it looks like I'm just laying there. I'm guessing without the sling on, I was sighting or something and not actually getting in position.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Thanks, Robby, cb. The reason I asked is because leg position for best prone shooting varies a great deal between individual shooters, and even between different types of firing points. There are also shooters who can get away with a lot of variance in their prone position and still shoot good scores. Unfortunately, I am one of those. The reality is that I generally fall somewhere in the middle between "army guy" and "high knee" for what is best (and I know that), but depending on the firing point and a few other factors, I still usually have to quickly figure out what is gonna work best right then and there. It's not a static thing...at least, not for what we do. I suppose maybe if you're an Olympic smallbore shooter who always shoots from level concrete firing points, that might be a less true statement.

(but if you've ever watched a smallbore final's prep stage, you'll still see those shooters jacking with their positions...)

I can't get my right leg up as high as IndyGunGuy does,...

...and so you should not try to do so. Everybody's lower back is different with regards to how much it will tolerate.

Between shooters, there's no ONE right answer, so watching/asking your neighbor for suggestions on what you should do can be a big mistake, even if they mean well. My experience dictates that only through YOU testing variations in YOUR position will you be able to find what is most reliably going to keep your shots centered. Sure, it's somewhat exhaustive work for awhile, but once you figure out and memorize your own ideal geometry and what it feels like, it works for most any rifle (or at least you have a really good starting point).

-Nate

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Absolutely, everyone's geometry is different. I can get very low in sitting, and is more stable for me. I can also stretch my support hand way out to the sling mount (in prone) whereas others with shorter arms cannot.

I was just making an observation on my position. And of course, what it feels like is usually much different than what it looks like. So partly I was caught by surprise by the photo, until I realized I wasn't slung up.

Top Bottom