• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You need some training in "One Handed Pistol Manipulations". With practice it's pretty easy to rack the slide by catching the rear sight on a pocket or belt. One handed loading, reloading, and malfunction clearing are skills you should have even with one in the chamber.

:+1:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You need some training in "One Handed Pistol Manipulations". With practice it's pretty easy to rack the slide by catching the rear sight on a pocket or belt. One handed loading, reloading, and malfunction clearing are skills you should have even with one in the chamber.

Sure its easy on the range standing up right without a care in the world. Is it that easy in a struggle when some guy is jerking you around by your off hand as you try to fend him off? Or when someone is laying on top of you banging your head into the pavement? May be a fuzz more tricky, then. Just something to think about.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sure its easy on the range standing up right without a care in the world. Is it that easy in a struggle when some guy is jerking you around by your off hand as you try to fend him off? Or when someone is laying on top of you banging your head into the pavement? May be a fuzz more tricky, then. Just something to think about.

Obviously it's easier to shoot the gun if there's already a round in the chamber.
    He's just saying it's also good to know how to rack the slide one handed, in case you have to reload, or clear a malfunction and cant use your other hand for whatever reason.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Obviously it's easier to shoot the gun if there's already a round in the chamber.
    He's just saying it's also good to know how to rack the slide one handed, in case you have to reload, or clear a malfunction and cant use your other hand for whatever reason.

Ah, judging from the post he quoted in his reply, I took it in a different way.

Anyway, thanks to another forum member finding this video I mentioned in another thread:

LiveLeak.com - Thief in Venezuela tries to carjack a man after locking up his store.

For those that carry without one in the pipe, do you think that guy would have survived if he carried like you do?

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Always carry with one in the chamber.

Just practice your draw and just remember to keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.

Lots and lots of practice.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Indeed. I would NEVER advocate carrying with an empty chamber, I was mearly pointing out that these skills should be learned and practiced even by those who carry correctly. Even the most reliably pistols on the planet can stovepipe if you have to shoot from retention or odd positions and the slide can't cycle fully. One should posses the knowledge and skill to get that pistol back in the fight even if one hand is busy with other things.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have started to conceal carry lately but I'm just nervous at the idea of having a round in the chamber. I know if I ever had to use it that seconds count, but I feel confident I could rack the slide to load a round very quickly. I've also started practicing this.

My question is: Do you carry (open/concealed doesn't matter) with a round in the chamber? Do any of you share this concern?
    I have conceal carried since March and even though I initially had the same fear as you (i even made sure to buy my m&p9c with a the external safety b/c of the added security). I still do not carry with one in the chamber (unless i am in a very sketchy area) but i have practiced enough without one that i am very quick and active to unholster, rackslide,flip safety, aim, fire. It just depends if you practice firing the same way you carry. Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have conceal carried since March and even though I initially had the same fear as you (i even made sure to buy my m&p9c with a the external safety b/c of the added security). I still do not carry with one in the chamber (unless i am in a very sketchy area) but i have practiced enough without one that i am very quick and active to unholster, rackslide,flip safety, aim, fire. It just depends if you practice firing the same way you carry. Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

That's great.

Do it with one hand and then report on how comfortable you feel.

Also - if you carry on an empty chamber already, why engage the safety?

-J-

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI

This makes absolutely no practical sense how are you going to do that in a struggle? Sounds to me like you bought an expensive paper weight.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I carry with a round in all six of my chambers. :-)

But carrying an auto on an empty chamber? Sounds like a recipe for a prolonged fistfight and a struggle to determine who really owns the gun.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When I first started carrying, I carried a very expensive and quite ineffective bludgeoning tool. I did that for a week or two, until I was a bit more comfortable with it (I carried primarily concealed, and all the time). Once I was more comfortable, I converted to a much more effective lead-propulsion device, for free!

Seriously, though. IMHO, any gun that is not ready to go may as well be at home in the safe.

What's the old saying about "when seconds count, the cops are minutes away"? That applies here as well. If you only have seconds, do you want to spend that time racking slides, flipping levers, and otherwise fiddling with your gun? I don't.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

FAIL

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

jesus+facepalm.jpg

Top Bottom