• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You also don't need to go with one or the other 100% of the time. You can pick one as your default, and then either chamber or empty for situations that call for it. Just remember what your status is.

Im sure this position will get criticism by people who will argue that your carry procedure should be 100% consistent all the time.

I'm going to be one of those to criticize. You will forget. Pick a way and practice the crap out of it. (If you want to do it correctly, pick the way where you keep a round in the chamber.)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I was really going to try not to get involved in this thread. Yet, here I am, getting involved.

If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, I would argue you are not ready to carry the gun. I would urge anyone who feels uncomfortable with a round in the chamber to jump over to the Tactics and Training forum and find a good, defensive pistol class that covers drawing from the holster, reholstering, and other defense-related gun-handling topics. There are several advertised here frequently. After 16 or so hours of instruction and range drills that involve shooting, considerable gun handling, and holster work, you will feel much more comfortable with your firearm.

If you are convinced there is no discernible difference between carrying with one in the chamber and not when faced with a deadly force situation, I would urge you to go and take a Force on Force class and test that theory. You can also test the theory in various competitions. Though less stressful, I bet it will still foul you up. And if it does, the evidence is even more clear.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I will eventually. Just needed something quick and affordable for the time being. What would you recommend?

Kydex, injection-molded plastic, or leather from a reputable manufacturer (Raven Concealment, Blade Tech, Comp Tac, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, etc, etc). It should be molded to your specific gun, be secure on your belt, and cover the whole trigger guard. There are also a few folks on the forum who make kydex holsters locally. A search or perusal of the forum advertisers will probably locate them.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You also don't need to go with one or the other 100% of the time. You can pick one as your default, and then either chamber or empty for situations that call for it. Just remember what your status is.

Im sure this position will get criticism by people who will argue that your carry procedure should be 100% consistent all the time.

That is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever read on the internet. Ever.

I can't...

I can't even say anything...

It's just so...

It's just so freaking ignorant.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When I was a n00b, I felt the same way. I took the advice I was given and in short order, my apprehension dissolved.
    I was told to carry my intended firearm in the manner it was meant to be carried (in my case, cocked and locked) but go ahead and keep the chamber empty for a little while... as a test, just to see if that hammer would ever fall.
    Guess what... It didn't.
    No amount of bumping door frames, seat-belting over it, or unholstering/reholstering made the hammer fall when it was not supposed to.
    It instilled a confidence about it...
    Give that a whirl.

Klutz :rolleyes:

I do that too. :(

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you are not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, I would argue you are not ready to carry the gun. I would urge anyone who feels uncomfortable with a round in the chamber to jump over to the Tactics and Training forum and find a good, defensive pistol class that covers drawing from the holster, reholstering, and other defense-related gun-handling topics. There are several advertised here frequently. After 16 or so hours of instruction and range drills that involve shooting, considerable gun handling, and holster work, you will feel much more comfortable with your firearm.

If you are convinced there is no discernible difference between carrying with one in the chamber and not when faced with a deadly force situation, I would urge you to go and take a Force on Force class and test that theory. You can also test the theory in various competitions. Though less stressful, I bet it will still foul you up. And if it does, the evidence is even more clear.

Jackson is on it. :yesway:

All 30k INGOers can tell you how they carry their gun, or you can take a defensive pistol course on your own and quickly decide for yourself which is the better way. You need confidence in yourself and your gear. Training will provide both of those.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Buy a cheap airsoft gun. Have a friend start 21' from you, then have him charge you. See if you can unholster, chamber a pellet, and get a shot off before he's on top of you. I guarantee you can't. If you don't carry with a round in the chamber, then why carry? You might as well not carry. The XDm has a grip and trigger safety. It sounds like you need to take a basic pistol course. You can take one through the NRA for a reasonable price. My opinion, no one should carry without any basic training.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You are going down the same path many of us went down when we first started to carry. At first, just having a gun on you feels very different. It's a common progression. Once you are comfortable with the gun, you'll probably get comfortable with carrying one in the chamber. Eventually, you'll be fine carrying in condition one if that's the way you want to go. Don't worry too much about it, most of us have been there too.

Top Bottom