• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I bought another FEG Hi-Power and it is like brand new. I want to remove the mag safety, and need real punches so I don't booger it up. My last attempt at it was successful, but I don't want to take any chances using a nail on this pistol. Any advise on a good punch kit at a reasonable price, and where to get it?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I bought another FEG Hi-Power and it is like brand new. I want to remove the mag safety, and need real punches so I don't booger it up. My last attempt at it was successful, but I don't want to take any chances using a nail on this pistol. Any advise on a good punch kit at a reasonable price, and where to get it?
    Brownells most likely has what you need.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Matco, Mac, or Snap-on tools. Or a hardware store. Or Brownellls. Mayhew is the supplier to all of the quality outlets. Punches are punches as long as they are not from harbor freight or the like..

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Matco, Mac, or Snap-on tools. Or a hardware store. Or Brownellls. Mayhew is the supplier to all of the quality outlets. Punches are punches as long as they are not from harbor freight or the like..

Harbor Freight has sets for $7 and $9 but the size range in either set probably doesn't cover the pins you will encounter on firearms, the 8 piece set might be too short and I am not sure about the hardness and precision. The Mayhew punches at Brownells look much better for your purposes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/punches/5-piece-long-drive-pin-punch-set-93111.html

8 Piece Pin Punch Set

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've used the same Starrett punch set for 10 years. Still going strong.

A guy I work with used to be a gunsmith. Starrett is what he used, and said it was the best. He wasn't sure if he could find them. Another guy I work with brought me in a craftsman. It was junk, but it worked, so tomorrow I will be putting my new Hi-Power to the test.

Midway carries the Lyman set I use on ARs- I think it's got 8-10 of them for around $20 or so- I've used them quite a bit with no issues.

I order from Midway all the time. I will check them out...for next time.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I bought a punch at Sears one day when I was in a hurry and needed one.

Later on, I bought a set but I can't remember if I picked it up from Grainger or McMaster. Anyway, one of those should have a quality set ... I know I paid a decent penny for my set but you get what you pay for. Having said that, a friend of mine picked up something similar to this and it has worked fine for him.

PS ... the previously mentioned Brownells set looks like a firearms dedicated set so that might be worth a look.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom