• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wish he would've expanded into more detail in terms of desired features, but this is a good primer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P2B-8qHeBM[/ame]

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Thanks for posting that. I have been trying to decide what light to get. I have a TLR2 on my home clearing pistol but have been thinking of getting a free held one as well.

I'd be interested in hearing which ones you guys like. It seems to be a huge range of lights from $20 into the hundreds.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    My first thought when I saw the title was "big Mag-light, wield as club", but then I saw he means "with a pistol".

I know its not all tacti-cool and ninja, but a really cheap and nice LED flashlight for this is sold at Batteries Plus. Its an aluminum bodied "Rayovac RoughNeck". It has an end cap that cycles through lo, high, and strobe, is compact but with good light output

I think I paid $25 for mine, and it comes with batteries. Rayovac batteries, of course.

A quick Google shows Amazon sells it even cheaper:

Amazon.com: Rayovac RNT3AAA-B Roughneck 200 Lumen Metal Flashlight with Batteries and Holster: Home Improvement

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Just found this on close out at lapolicegear.com as well, if you have a rail for a weapon mounted light. I've got one one and it works well, but obviously makes it rougher to conceal.

Streamlight TLR1s Weapon Light STROBE

That's a really good price on it, at least compared to the last time I shopped them.

Ramiel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    East side of Indy
    Klarus XT11 is what I carry with me on a regular basis.
    I used to carry a Fenix PD32 until I purchased the XT11, it is a bit smaller for ease of carry, but only about half as bright and without a hardened stainless strike bezel.
    At home I use the Fenix TK35. It is a bit too large for pocket carry, but easily fits in one hand and is very bright with a good throw.
    All are very good lights and operate with the same batteries (CR123A/18650), so I don't need to stock different styles.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Just found this on close out at lapolicegear.com as well, if you have a rail for a weapon mounted light. I've got one one and it works well, but obviously makes it rougher to conceal.

Streamlight TLR1s Weapon Light STROBE

That's a really good price on it, at least compared to the last time I shopped them.

Just a heads up, we have seen numerous failures with the TLR1 strobe model regarding it alternating between strobe and solid and turning off under recoil, even when the strobe feature is turned off. I still have a TLR1 (non-strobe) on my gun, but I honestly only recommend surefire at this point.

For a handheld light to be used for defensive purposes, you want a single setting light with a momentary only switch, no brighter than about 200 lumens. That means when you smash your thumb on the tailcap you get light, and when you release it, you get none. The only multi-setting light i recommend is the Surefire LX2 due to its mode of operation.

Rob Pincus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks for checking out the vids, guys... I really like simple one Button-on-the-back (on/off) designs. A lanyard is highly suggested and a finger loop (such as Clint Smith has recommended) is a great alternative.
    I also spent a lot of time with the L-Shaped Tomahawk light and liked it as well, in regard to overall design, though it was a multi-function type strobe/colors/etc.

-RJP

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just a heads up, we have seen numerous failures with the TLR1 strobe model regarding it alternating between strobe and solid and turning off under recoil, even when the strobe feature is turned off. I still have a TLR1 (non-strobe) on my gun, but I honestly only recommend surefire at this point.

For a handheld light to be used for defensive purposes, you want a single setting light with a momentary only switch, no brighter than about 200 lumens. That means when you smash your thumb on the tailcap you get light, and when you release it, you get none. The only multi-setting light i recommend is the Surefire LX2 due to its mode of operation.
    Completely agree.

Top Bottom