• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not a fan of the SERPA design, and think there are better alternatives available today. That being said, Rob does a nice job giving an overview of SERPA use (though he doesn't cover my #1 gripe-- mechanism failure that locks up the gun).

[video=youtube;-F0FBsXe6c0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F0FBsXe6c0[/video]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think if people don't use a holster because a couple people have had ND/ADs, they'd have to duct tape the gun. Cause about every holster has had a problem at one time or another.

appleseeder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    usa
    I have heard of a firearms training facility that has banned these due to several people shooting themselves in the leg. Looks like a poor holster to choose if you are new to drawing from a holster.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have heard of a firearms training facility that has banned these due to several people shooting themselves in the leg. Looks like a poor holster to choose if you are new to drawing from a holster.
    Some of them have rethought that and allowed them in classes again.

I have one and have not shot my leg off because of it. Like many things in the gun industry, it's a training issue, not the equipment.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have 2 Blackhawk! Serpa holsters. I have yet to shoot myself or have the failure mentioned above.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I saw a video of a dea agent that shot himself in the leg not from a faulty holster but because he didn't follow basic safety rules. At atterbury many years ago a sheriff deputy shot himself in the leg because he also didn't follow basic safety. If you put your finger inside the trigger guard before your ready to shoot your target then bad things could happen.

I cant stand rob pincus

trip9901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have one!! I like it a lot but I usually only carry with it around the home. And on my property. Stays right were I want it and when moving things around in the garage or yard I know it won't fall from or be pushed upward out of it. Which has happened to me in the past. Not something I want to carry in public as to the difficulty to get a fast and consistent draw in a high stress situation.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey serpa Fans (like me) it's not going to matter who says what the serpa haters are gonna hate. I've said the same thing basically about the serpa and people look at me like I'm purple with Horns.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm not a fan of the SERPA design, and think there are better alternatives available today. That being said, Rob does a nice job giving an overview of SERPA use (though he doesn't cover my #1 gripe-- mechanism failure that locks up the gun).

Is there any actual proof of that happening during training or combat?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I've seen a YouTube video of somebody dragging one through a snow drift and it locking it up tight. But I've also read posts where folks claim to have used them hard, in harsh environments with no problems.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I guess it's what your use to. I've got "adjustable" tension retention holsters that will pull your should out of socket trying to get your weapon out, but I know how every weapon is when pulling them out of each particular holster. Practice makes perfect. I have noticed with the serpas I own, I have to remember to push the button, which is the only problem I've found. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I've seen several different accounts, but the Paul Gomez / Southnarc one stands out foremost in my mind.

***LANGUAGE***

http://link.brightcove.com/services... _E0TWMBUpCe8YivKyjrCCqn&bctid=1155868233001

Paul later did a video on his preferred method with the SERPA mechanism.

[video=youtube;lBuAFxqsllE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBuAFxqsllE[/video]

I'll never suggest that this is going to happen if you use a SERPA holster. But I'll submit that it has happened enough that I think other options are worth examining.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Combat I dont know. Training yes. In addition to the one Evan posted it has heppened numerous other times. MAC has a video out on it, as well there is one floating around out there somewhere with Steve Fisher swinging a guy around by his serpa when it jammed up and wouldn't release the gun.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey serpa Fans (like me) it's not going to matter who says what the serpa haters are gonna hate. I've said the same thing basically about the serpa and people look at me like I'm purple with Horns.

Serpa Fans

Facts don't matter in this argument. it doesn't matter that AD's happen with other holsters, It doesn't matter that I've seen people pull their pants up around their armpit and never get the firearm out of the holster with every brand of friction style holster on the market.

This is about sceniro a product to death and someones perception of data being Fact and all other people being wrong.

I bet back in the old west there were fist fights over Flapped and Strung holsters It seems like everytime someone says something good about the Serpa it's like you went out and killed puppies in front of pre schools.

So if you have to pick and choose your data to make your point then do so.

If there's ever a massive recall of the Serpa and we are advised to turn them in for a free Raven we will know that something went wrong. Till then Buy a holster and if you don't like it get rid of it and get another. I for one have been packing for almost 30 years and not had to fast draw someone in the street. But I have had friction style holsters loosen a gun and it fall out in my Car seat about 10 times.

So for me, I'll take the monumental risk that if someone drags my considerable bulk through a snow drift than blasts me with a CO2 fire extinguisher and completely locks my serpa holster up that it is my day to die.

Top Bottom