• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was with a friend at the Frankfort store they would not let him touch the Ruger 57 he was buying!!! another man came in to by a long gun which did not have a box and he was told he had to purchase a gun case or bring one in in order to take it out of the store
    Had the same experience on a handgun. Purchased from them online and went in when it was received. They said they wouldn't let me touch it without a trigger lock and they had none available. I walked the employee through a function check before I'd go any further (only because I had already paid for the gun online, etc) and then went through the rest of their miserable process (all their self serve PCs they use for the 4473 were not responding, so I took it upon myself to reboot one as they didn't seem interested in doing so, then had to wait a considerable time for a manager to be available to verify the numbers, and then complete the purchase before they did the perp walk out the door with me). Nope, can't say I'd subject myself again (definitely not have something transferred to one of their stores/purchase in store).

Last edited:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    No issues with Rural King here (although I am slightly annoyed with them on something else.) The best price is the best price. (Although actually usually the best price is online somewhere, Rural King is usually better priced than most LGS.) If the process is slightly more annoying, you still walk out with the same gun in the end. I'd rather pay less for it.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I’ve bought from them once, no issues that would keep me from buying from them again. The 4473 process is annoying, I was there probably 45 minutes to an hour. It would have taken about 5 minutes at my lgs, but whatever. I did find the lady working the counter to be air-headed and annoying, but I find a lot of people annoying so take that with a grain of salt :): Other than the wait for the 4473, no issues.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah same here.

I found a banshee they had online and I could not find it anywhere else at that time - least favorite cerakote color also - but I had to try one.

Just really really slow process.

But if I ever want something that they only have, I would consider doing it again.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    "...I treat RK as a source to buy from and nothing more. If I go there and buy something I have already done my research and know what I'm getting and dont need their help or terrible opinions."
    Great point! I'm of the same school of thought.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I treat RK as a source to buy from and nothing more. If I go there and buy something I have already done my research and know what I'm getting and dont need their help or terrible opinions.
    Great point! I'm of the same school of thought.
    I sure as heck hope you guys are not doing your research at the LGS, abusing their business, to then go buy it from a retailer that lacks the ability to educate you…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I sure as heck hope you guys are not doing your research at the LGS, abusing their business, to then go buy it from a retailer that lacks the ability to educate you…
    These days, when I hear "research" I think of online sources. But what if they were price shopping? Is it "abusing a business" to go in and see what multiple businesses are asking for a particular item in order to find the best price? :dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    These days, when I hear "research" I think of online sources. But what if they were price shopping? Is it "abusing a business" to go in and see what multiple businesses are asking for a particular item in order to find the best price? :dunno:
    That's called capitalism.
    I frequently buy from my lgs because the price isn't that much higher to sell out my lgs for.
    Ammunition is a different story. Lgs prices have been 2x that of online sources and online sources deliver to your door.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There was quite a bit of grumbling about not being able to even function test the guns at RK. There is a fine line between abusing a small local business and shopping. I have my opinion and will call it out when I see it, others can do as they wish. The “shopping for the best price excuse is pretty ridiculous, everyone knows the the internet and big box stores are cheaper because of scale and cheap labor.

If one has Superior Mowers in Greenfield educate them, then buys from the big box guys, I have little respect for them. Go get the education you want to pay for. Same with the LGS. You want to buy a gun cheap, by all means go to RK (I have no issues with RK) and buy it. Just don’t expect the LGS to educate you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's called capitalism.
    I frequently buy from my lgs because the price isn't that much higher to sell out my lgs for.
    Ammunition is a different story. Lgs prices have been 2x that of online sources and online sources deliver to your door.
    No, I get that, but lets say you have 3 or 4 nearby LGS's (and maybe one is RK). And lets say you're looking for a Shield Plus 9mm, and they all have them in stock. IMHO it's not "abusive" to shop around to find who has the best price on what you're looking for.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No, I get that, but lets say you have 3 or 4 nearby LGS's (and maybe one is RK). And lets say you're looking for a Shield Plus 9mm, and they all have them in stock. IMHO it's not "abusive" to shop around to find who has the best price on what you're looking for.
    I agree.
    It's what makes America great. It helps keep the prices down and stores competitive.
    If RK has Shield + for $20 less than my lgs I'm going to still buy at lgs. It would require a pretty substantial difference to make me buy from RK, Academy, etc. Then I also factor in driving time and fuel prices.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is what caught my attention.

I treat RK as a source to buy from and nothing more. If I go there and buy something I have already done my research and know what I'm getting and dont need their help or terrible opinions.

He just uses RK as a source? He gets educated elsewhere, I cannot fathom that education does not include handling the firearms.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So never ever go check out a gun in person then? Just buy it sight unseen?
    If you want the RK types price you should live with their policies on gun handling and the staff that has little knowledge of guns.

If you want knowledge and education on the gun as well as time handling, you should buy from the LGS.

This ain’t my first rodeo on this topic and the whole shopping excuse is just that, an excuse. For all the blather on INGO about markets and using one’s money to speak to and teach the corporations here is a place it actually would work, don’t buy from sources that don’t have handling and education, they will either respond with change, ignore it because it is not enough to bother them, or get out. But no, they are the cheapest, and many equate that with best.

Top Bottom