• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If Unions are forcing over-inflated wages, and RTW is supposed to loosen their grip, wouldn't it follow that average wages would drop, at least in the short term?

This is certainly a ****-poor indicator of the effects of the law, as it doesn't include the effects on unemployment as companies shut down or move overseas to escape the stranglehold.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If Unions are forcing over-inflated wages, and RTW is supposed to loosen their grip, wouldn't it follow that average wages would drop, at least in the short term?

This is certainly a ****-poor indicator of the effects of the law, as it doesn't include the effects on unemployment as companies shut down or move overseas to escape the stranglehold.

If that's the only effect of RTW, I'll be perfectly fine that some bolt-turners' hourly wages drop into the teens rather than the twenties. :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

It's almost impossible to isolate individual factors in an complex environment. You know how one thing affects another, but you can't always measure it in an uncontrolled environment.

For instance, taxes are always a disincentive. If however, there are other incentives operating, the economy might grow by leaps and bounds. That doesn't mean that the taxes made it grow, though some will claim that. The taxes acted as a brake, slowing growth from what it might have been.

The difficulty of understanding these things is field in which politicians play.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It's almost impossible to isolate individual factors in an complex environment. You know how one thing affects another, but you can't always measure it in an uncontrolled environment.

For instance, taxes are always a disincentive. If however, there are other incentives operating, the economy might grow by leaps and bounds. That doesn't mean that the taxes made it grow, though some will claim that. The taxes acted as a brake, slowing growth from what it might have been.

The difficulty of understanding these things is field in which politicians play.

I agree with all of this. The reason I bring it up is that I have read studies with statistics claiming that wages did, in fact, drop once these bills were passed. And I figured someone would bring it up in this debate, which is why I pointed out flaws in a way similar to what you stated.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And NO they don't. Unions are required to represent non-members ONLY if the UNION insists on an "exclusive representation" contract with the employer in which the union is recognized as the only bargaining entity, but this is not required. Contracts can specify that the union will negotiate only on behalf of members and then there are no free-riders that the unions complain so vehemently about. Unions, however, are afraid that non-members will negotiate better deals with management and want to roadblock that possibility at any cost.

Why do unions hate "free riders" but love "forced riders?" Hint: It's not the good of the worker.

Sir,

I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification.

Regards,

Doug

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just ran across this quote and found it rather fitting..

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. " -Thomas Jefferson

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just ran across this quote and found it rather fitting..

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. " -Thomas Jefferson

I like that.

Top Bottom