• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just put Tech-Sights on a new Marlin 795 and I'm looking forward to having a go at this. In the meantime I'm left wondering...

Why are round targets used for this promotion instead of the usual AQT silhouettes? Is this an attempt to avoid the possible negative reaction some may have against human-shaped targets?

I've often wondered about this in the past as well. Does shooting at AQT targets make some cast Appleseed as training killers rather than teaching marksmanship?

I have no problem with shooting at AQT targets but I could see this being used against Project Appleseed.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Not bad, but not great considering I was cheating and using an optic.

It's only cheating if you've found a magical optic that makes your hold steadier. ;)

...Is this an attempt to avoid the possible negative reaction some may have against human-shaped targets?

:eek:

I thought those were supposed to be bells. :dunno:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    *pew* DING! *pew* DING! Steel silhouettes also sound like bells.

'Pew, Pew?' When and where did you get a Hollywood silencer? :):

Those are two very nice shot groups Cedartop. Well Done, Sir! And for the record, I agree with ATM, Optics aren't cheating. To believe such would be to believe that using a proper sling is cheating as well. The rifle is worthless without a Rifleman who knows and uses these tools correctly. As an instructor yourself, I'm sure you'll agree that proper mechanics are just as, important than the equipment.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Okay, Okay, I didn't really mean cheating. Just that it makes it easier for me amd my eyes.

Me too but what the hell, I'm still going to try Tech-Sights. I already have the patch so why not, right? Truthfully, I expected to make Rifleman on my first Appleseed with an optic and tricked-out rifle. It wasn't easy but I did make it (barely). I'm not sure with iron sights, though and that's part of the fun and challenge of it.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shooting prone is really inconvenient for me, so I shot sitting at a bench, with a sling, no rest or bi-pod. I believe it was within the rules; what do you think?

With iron sights, 72 - Sharp Shooter. With a scope, 98 - Expert.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I just finished up the pictures frame of my son and I at the Appleseed. I thought I would share it with you guys. This is one memory that I will never forget. We took the Rifleman Challenge at the Appleseed. We both used Ruger 10/22 with Tech Sights.

760AE541-AEDC-4FB8-949A-DBE045F6D4BC-6286-0000094FA10B907F_zps59a9d1fa.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just finished up the pictures frame of my son and I at the Appleseed. I thought I would share it with you guys. This is one memory that I will never forget. We took the Rifleman Challenge at the Appleseed. We both used Ruger 10/22 with Tech Sights.

It's great that you are doing this now. I blew that chance with my kids but I have already told my family, that if I am still around and kicking I will be taking the grandchildren to the range as soon as they are old enough.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It's great that you are doing this now. I blew that chance with my kids but I have already told my family, that if I am still around and kicking I will be taking the grandchildren to the range as soon as they are old enough.
    My son turned 9 in August. This is his first year shooting. We have been talking about guns for a long time but this year he was able to till my the four safety rule and what they mean along with the Eddy Eagle rules. Every time I handed him a gun he knew how to check it and followed those rule, so it was time for he's first Appleseed.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

760AE541-AEDC-4FB8-949A-DBE045F6D4BC-6286-0000094FA10B907F_zps59a9d1fa.jpg

There are people who would give everything they own to be able to go back in time and do that with their parent/child. Well done.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Im one of them Bubba. Would have been some kinda fun to do this with my dad. As much as I try, can't get my son interested in shooting. Oh we'll, lots of friends to this with so I'm glad I found the post.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    There are people who would give everything they own to be able to go back in time and do that with their parent/child. Well done.

Im one of them Bubba. Would have been some kinda fun to do this with my dad. As much as I try, can't get my son interested in shooting. Oh we'll, lots of friends to this with so I'm glad I found the post.
    Thanks guys. I'm very luck that my son is just like me. Sometimes it very scary :D He's really mechanical inclined and truly what's to know how things work. He even told me after the Appleseed don't you dare clean my rifle without me :)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yeah! I love show and tell time … this is my challenge target that was shot during an Appleseed at Lake Village, IN on 29 September using a stock Marlin 990L with Tech Sights a GI web sling and CCI standard velocity ammo.

Got me some work to do. I've noticed that I rush my shots and don't control the trigger as well when there's a clock running.

View attachment 23006

Top Bottom