Lizton
    I'm giving it whirl this weekend :)
    irons, scope... .22, .223. heck maybe even a pistol for kicks

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    My son and I were chalenging each other last weekend with empty 12 ga hulls pushed into the dirt backstop at 40 yds with my scoped cz 452 we were going for 5 out of 5 but they best one of us did was 3 out of 5, I won't say which one.

the bottom of a 12 ga shell is mighty small at 40 yds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Any challenge is fun, but especially in prone, we should all be up to snuff to clean that target, even with iron sights.

Since the late 1940's the regualtion small bore targets are a lot more challenging than that 7/8ths inch ten ring. The regulation 75 foot (A7) target has a ten ring of only .335" and the more common 50 ft (A-17) has a really challenging .150" ten ring. And those targets are used for off hand, kneeling, sitting and prone with peep sight rifles and no artificial supports.

If our fathers or grandfathers generation could post great scores on those targets with rifles and ammo that was clearly not as good as we have today, we should have the discipline ourselves in practice to really up the rifleman skills. Even someone who has put up master level scores in competitions in the past would do well to challenge himself routinely to keep the skills up.
    I just dug up a bundle of A-17 targets, looks like I am off to the range.

Have fun!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That does look like fun. Now I just need a place where I can shoot prone position. I usually shoot either at JP or Winamac which has benches on the firing line. I've seen people shoot standing position at those ranges, but not prone position.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That does look like fun. Now I just need a place where I can shoot prone position. I usually shoot either at JP or Winamac which has benches on the firing line. I've seen people shoot standing position at those ranges, but not prone position.

Take your shooting mat and crawl under the bench. If anyone asks what you're doing, tell them you're resting. ;)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Quick Note: When I printed these initially were reduced in size by my print manager to fit the "Portrait" aspect of a standard page. I thought it looked a little small in comparison to the pictures on the web page so I went back and changed the print aspect to "Landscape" This gives the correct size target for the challenge. I know most people could have figured this out, but figured I'd post this to save everyone some paper and ink.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Challenge?

Using optics with a zero'd rifle? I don't get it.

I was thinking the same thing about the optics. Other than my 700, I don't have anything with magnified optics on it (not because I don't like optics, I'm just too cheap to buy any).

Now that I've talked smack about it, I'll have to see if I can get my printer working. If not, can anyone tell me how big that center black circle is? I may just make my own so I don't have to mess with technology today.

Top Bottom