• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The op made allusions to it, not you persé. And, we do agree, although, according to your previous comments, limp wristing the semi-auto doesn’t qualify as a semi-auto failure but operator error, much like not allowing the trigger out far enough on a revolver to reset the trigger in DA mode. :)
    Yes those are all operator errors but thanks for making a point.
    When you limp wrist a auto or accidently hit the mag release you get one shot and then you have to clear the gun malfunction or do a reload or pick up a mag off the ground and hope it hitting the ground didn't dislodge the top round. Either way you are down from a couple of seconds to forever if the mag gets messed up hitting the ground and you don't carry a reload mag.
    The revolver you get the same 1 shot and if you short stroke the trigger guess what ....... you pull the trigger again. .02-.05 of a second and you are back in the fight.;)

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    That was a great post, and this stuck out to me, as I have personally experienced unburnt powder under the extractor in the past (currently working through an 8lb jug of some HP-38 that isn't burning as completely as I'd like). I'd be interested to hear your reloading technique, as I was always taught to point the muzzle up and push (sometimes smack) the extractor rod down to allow gravity to assist in dumping the empties. If there's a better way to do it that mitigates the chance of getting fouling under the extractor star, I'd love to learn it.
    I do what is called a weak hand reload. I keep the gun in my strong hand and reload with my other hand. The other way to reload is switching the gun to the weak hand and putting the ammo in with your strong hand. This requires the muzzle to come up higher than a weak hand reload but no where near straight up.(at least for me when I need to do a strong hand reload for some reason during a match usually for safety reasons).

Ok I'm not one for posting pictures or video of my self online. I don't do hero shots with the animals or fish I shoot or catch with me in the picture.
    I did do a video several years ago when a friend I shot with from the east coast was discussing reload techniques and he wanted to see what I was doing. I posted it on you tube and I would guess all the views were me and him and a couple of others that we talking with.
    This was dryfire and had empties in the gun and was moonclips. I don't shoot as much with speedloaders so I'm .2-.5 slower with speedloaders. I also have to get the gun within 1 to 2 inchs of the timer for it to pick up the dryfire so presentation is really important and I'm definitely seeing the sights and aiming. My splits in those days were faster with live fire than dryfire as it helped with resetting the trigger. I have arthritis in the trigger finger (:xmad: ) and while my splits were never super fast they were not good on the day of the video but it was about the reload not the splits,ect.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    But…do you carry that way for CCW? The op was making THAT point. Unless you are wearing a snow suit, you ain’t concealing any of that gear, Bro. Lol
    Is a revolver suitable for CCW? Sure but not with gamer’s gear….. ;)
    Good job running that wheelgun. Impressive.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    But…do you carry that way for CCW? The op was making THAT point. Unless you are wearing a snow suit, you ain’t concealing any of that gear, Bro. Lol
    Is a revolver suitable for CCW? Sure but not with gamer’s gear….. ;)
    Good job running that wheelgun. Impressive.
    I was responding to person I quoted not op.
    Just showing how I reload without muzzle up.
    Same reload no matter the gear.
    Never claimed that was carry setup.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    do what is called a weak hand reload. I keep the gun in my strong hand and reload with my other hand. The other way to reload is switching the gun to the weak hand and putting the ammo in with your strong hand. This requires the muzzle to come up higher than a weak hand reload but no where near straight up.(at least for me when I need to do a strong hand reload for some reason during a match usually for safety reasons)
    Thanks for the video...that's really impressively fast! I had to watch it a few times to get a clear picture of how everything was happening. I believe you that nothing is getting under the extractor on your gun...it doesn't have time to fall out of the case! :cool: Can you get the cases out like that without moon clips and a short snubby extractor?

I have to admit, I've always kind of treated a wheelgun as a single-use weapon...something to use in an environment where I'm very unlikely to ever need more than 5 or 6 rounds. I carry a reload, but just so I'm not carrying around an empty gun afterwards if I ever have to use it. My 640 pro is even cut for moon clips, I've just never used them. Watching your video makes me think I need to put in some practice time and get proficient with my revolver reload, because it clearly can be done!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I was responding to person I quoted not op.
    Just showing how I reload without muzzle up.
    Same reload no matter the gear.
    Never claimed that was carry setup.
    I’ll bet there aren’t ten people on this forum that can reload a revolver like that. I used HKS & Safariland speed loaders for my M586. 12 shots, with a reload at 7 yards….12-14 seconds. USUALLY I shot 120 and oftentimes 9-10x using 158gr LSWC W/3.5gr of Bullseye.
    Is that a M625 or did you have a 38/357Mag cylinder cut for full moon clips?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I’ll bet there aren’t ten people on this forum that can reload a revolver like that. I used HKS & Safariland speed loaders for my M586. 12 shots, with a reload at 7 yards….12-14 seconds. USUALLY I shot 120 and oftentimes 9-10x using 158gr LSWC W/3.5gr of Bullseye.
    I bet there aren't ten people that can load an auto that fast. Once again, not about the gear but the person using it.

And still with the angst against revolver people. Let people ****ing be.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Can you get the cases out like that without moon clips and a short snubby extractor?
    Yes for the most part some guns and loads like j frame .357 I really have to punch the ejector rod pretty hard for them to clear.
    Another thing I taught in my classes was I never get a case stuck under the star either as I punch the ejector rod pretty good and they don't have time so slip behind the star. They fly all over the range but that's ok:).
    I have had then get behind the star when I'm done shooting as I'm not on the clock anymore and unload slowly and that is when it happens.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I bet there aren't ten people that can load an auto that fast. Once again, not about the gear but the person using it.

And still with the angst against revolver people. Let people ****ing be.
    Angst? Not at all. @Bosshoss has my utmost respect and honestly, I’m in awe of his reloading skills. Not many use the technique to reload that he shows in his video unless they are doing so on a flat range. When cops carried revolvers day in day out, none were taught to reload like that. Then again, they, most of them rather, we’re using full power 357Mag loads and they may not eject with the weak hand load.

@bobzilla what technique do you use to reload your revolvers?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    That is a 625 and is still my dryfire gun it has 50K live rounds and probably closing in on 2 million dryfires on it.
    I currently shoot a 929 S&W in competition that I converted to a 38 super and it is a 8 shot gun and is moonclips also.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Not many use the technique to reload that he shows in his video unless they are doing so on a flat range. When cops carried revolvers day in day out, none were taught to reload like that. Then again, they, most of them rather, we’re using full power 357Mag loads and they may not eject with the weak hand load.
    Not sure what the flat range has to do anything. I would reload that way for defense if ever needed.
    Their is nothing wrong with doing the old switch hand reload and many competitors still use it.
    As hard as I hit the ejector rod their is no way I can hit the rod any harder with the old switch hand reload.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    That is a 625 and is still my dryfire gun it has 50K live rounds and probably closing in on 2 million dryfires on it.
    I currently shoot a 929 S&W in competition that I converted to a 38 super and it is a 8 shot gun and is moonclips also.
    I love S&W Wheelguns. You run them well. In my opinion, the M625 JM style is a great one to use for competition. I know about the newer 8 shot revolvers but have no experience with them. What competition do you use them for? Plates?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Angst? Not at all. @Bosshoss has my utmost respect and honestly, I’m in awe of his reloading skills. Not many use the technique to reload that he shows in his video unless they are doing so on a flat range. When cops carried revolvers day in day out, none were taught to reload like that. Then again, they, most of them rather, we’re using full power 357Mag loads and they may not eject with the weak hand load.

@bobzilla what technique do you use to reload your revolvers?
    Why does everyone assume I carry a revolver? I own an M88 Rossi. It doesn't get carried and gets shot little. Mostly sits in the safe for sentimental reasons.

EDIT: let me put it this way, I get down to the point where the Rossi has to come out it's likely the world as I know it has ended. I've already been through 2 smith's with 4 mags, 2 1911's with 11 mags, the EBR with 20 mags, the 500 with 5 rds of 00 and the remington model 11 with #7 birdshot, all 7 rds. I'm in a corner and this is it.... but I'd rather have it over a rock.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Not sure what the flat range has to do anything. I would reload that way for defense if ever needed.
    Their is nothing wrong with doing the old switch hand reload and many competitors still use it.
    As hard as I hit the ejector rod their is no way I can hit the rod any harder with the old switch hand reload.
    I use the switch hand method to reload. I will try your method. Looks pretty good. I have two 5" 625s, one for steel w/ fiber optic front sight and one for bullseye with a dot. I also have a couple 627s for steel challenge and ICORE. I prefer revolvers for shooting matches. Another plus; don't need to chase brass all over the place with moonclips.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Just a comparison between what you do and how cops trained for their real life scenarios, that’s all.
    Not sure what you are trying to say here.
    Most of the police I know or have seen training have been training on the same flat range as I have been using.
    What I do is try to reload and shoot as fast and accurately as I can no matter if carry gear or competition rig.
    Just because the police are taught a certain way doesn't make it the best or only way.
    Gun handling skills are gun handling skills and I have always said that competition is one of the best training tools. You have to safely handle a gun and work under pressure while thinking on your feet and your skill level will go up way faster than just shooting on a range by yourself or with friends. Oh it is a lot of fun too.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I use the switch hand method to reload. I will try your method. Looks pretty good. I have two 5" 625s, one for steel w/ fiber optic front sight and one for bullseye with a dot. I also have a couple 627s for steel challenge and ICORE. I prefer revolvers for shooting matches. Another plus; don't need to chase brass all over the place with moonclips.

I started out with a S&W model 15 in the USAF and I also use the FBI method (what you called switching hands) the only issue I run into today is some range nazis get nervous because the muzzle straight up (with the cylinder open gun pretty much disassembled) them muzzle straight down (gravity is your friend) to load. Aim non revolver folks get uneasy but as respectful as I can say it they don’t k ow what they don’t k ow.

I kept that method because it works and I am pretty proficient as I my squadron shot a lot both work wise and PPC stuff in the late 80’s through the 90’s. The CATM (AF instructor but remember this was mid 1980’s) explained it with the FBI and switching hands you use your dominant hand to line up 6 rounds with 6 chambers so that makes/made sense. (My commander bought us all Safariland Comp 2 and split 6 speedloader pouches for our duty use so that also helped)

Fast forward I have also seen several reload with their week hand pretty proficiently like Bosshoss does so the answer is what works for you.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I started out with a S&W model 15 in the USAF and I also use the FBI method (what you called switching hands) the only issue I run into today is some range nazis get nervous because the muzzle straight up (with the cylinder open gun pretty much disassembled) them muzzle straight down (gravity is your friend) to load. Aim non revolver folks get uneasy but as respectful as I can say it they don’t k ow what they don’t k ow.

I kept that method because it works and I am pretty proficient as I my squadron shot a lot both work wise and PPC stuff in the late 80’s through the 90’s. The CATM (AF instructor but remember this was mid 1980’s) explained it with the FBI and switching hands you use your dominant hand to line up 6 rounds with 6 chambers so that makes/made sense. (My commander bought us all Safariland Comp 2 and split 6 speedloader pouches for our duty use so that also helped)

Fast forward I have also seen several reload with their week hand pretty proficiently like Bosshoss does so the answer is what works for you.
    When I've done revolver classes I always say that do whichever reload style feels best to you. There isn't a wrong way or a right way.
    I do explain the the weak hand reload has several advantages over a strong hand(switch hand) reload especially shooting a match.
    The strong hand(switch hand) reload has a couple different advantages over the weak hand reload also.
    Again do whatever feels best for you.
    I have shot USPSA Revolver nationals many times and the IRC(International Revolver Championship) several times and I would make a guess that 75% do a weak hand style reload. That being said some doing strong hand style are at the top of the results so it works with practice.
    My reloads are comparable to the top shooters time wise but I'm older and fat so I can't move like them so I have to be accurate and smooth and nail those reloads.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Seems the reload of the revolver vs the mag change could convince a CCW towards a semi auto vs revolver.
    My training was first with revolvers, then semi autos. I feel comfortable using the barrel up,extract,barrel down...speed load feed. Been doing that for over 30 years.
    Feeding a magazine after extracting isn't a totally new concept, but slide release can be forcing 2 hands. I'm smooth with either, and use a slingshot release vs the slide release lever. For me its more positive.
    I keep a few of each in rotation, sometimes using a J frame to backup a G45-5(9mm). Sometimes i use my Kahr CM-9 to back up my mod 10 S&W-4in. Most combos work if you practice.
    Always spare ammo for both too.
    Any Single actions either revolver, or 1911, comes along fairly easy. Mindset and practice is the key.
    Good luck, practice and shoot both to become profecient.

Top Bottom