Revolver suggestions- I have some in mind...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jespol227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey All,
    Here I am with another revolver question:

Does anyone own any of these (or has any shot any of these) who can share some input on these?

Rossi M971 (ported barrel)
    Smith and Wesson 327 PD(8 shot) - 4inch
    Smith and Wesson 27

(all 357s)

Any input- these are all priced VERY Differently from one another. Rossi-$300, 327-$650, and 27- $990.

My main goal is to find a revolver that I'm comfortable shooting- for the shooting range. I'd prefer a 357.

To be honest, I think I liked the Rossi the best (but it could be my bank account choosing it!)

Thanks in advance for your always-wonderful advice!
    Jes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    personally I'd stay away from rossi, my dads split at the barrel after 10 rounds. and this was only earlier this year.

I'd look at taurus , i know they own rossi but the taurus is a much better firearm. i've put close to 1,000 rounds through my 357 cia with only a few hiccups firing magnums, but not anymore.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you looking for a 357mag range gun. I would look at Ruger's GP100 and S&W 686.

You can get then used in great shape for good prices.

both are great guns and will hold up to the 357mag loads.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Ruger makes great .357 revolvers. I had a SP101 and loved it (another gun I sold and wished I hadn't). Rugers are definitely built to last and can be had at a great price.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The Ruger is built like a tank ....i love them ...

A lil heavy to carry everywhere ,atleast the gp100 , but you cant beat the way they are made and the reliablity :twocents:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    You should have hollered when you were down here. If you want to shoot a few .357's, let me know... I have a Colt and a couple of S&W's..... Gonna be tough to beat Ruger, S&W, and Colt, in the revolver line.......

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    .357? S&W or Ruger all the way! You can find them used (but the gun doesn't know it. It stills thinks and acts like a new one) at good prices. You just have to be patient and shop around a bit. They show up here in the "Firearms" section every so often, but they don't last long.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I'd go for a Smith L frame first if you are going to be shooting mostly full power loads or a K frame if there will be more 38 level stuff run through it. Nothing wrong with the GP100 either (it is a little larger) If price is an issue you can pick up used Ruger Security Sixes quite reasonably. I'd rather have one of those than a Rossi or Taurus. I personally like the old 27's but that's not a cheap way to go, for $990 that one better have the display case and be pristine!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are looking for a shooter/range gun, why not go with something heavy to soak up the recoil?

I like the Smith M28:

SWM28HP006.jpg

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Buy once, cry once.
    Here's my 327 PC 2". Recoil is a bit, um, stout, with magnum loads, but I like it. My wife bought it for me for our anniversary last year. I finally bought some .38spl a month or so ago, so that she could try it, and it was really comfortable for her to shoot with the lighter loads. It's more of a personal protection gun than a range gun, so if you're looking for a range gun, there are better choices. 8 rounds of .357 magnum is quite comforting when you're sitting in a dark parking lot late at night.

DSCN0421.jpg

One of the best choices, IMO, is a 627. the older ones come with a 6 rd cylinder, instead of the newer 8. They're quite heavy, and can handle maximum pressure forever if you roll your own. My personal favorite is the 627-0, but the newer ones are quite nice as well.

For some unknown reason, I don't have any pictures of my GP100, but a GP100 can make an excellent range gun. They're very well made, and very accurate, especially with the 6" barrel. comfortable to shoot with heavy hunting loads as well. A couple of Wolff action springs and 10 minutes really does wonders for the action, too. Sadly, they quit putting the wood inlaid grips on them and switched to some hogue or something, but they're still great guns.

Get a Colt Python, if you have lots of money.

I don't recommend south american guns (Rossi, Taurus). It's personal preference, but I'd rather save up a little longer, wait out the market for a good deal, and invest a little more in a good made in USA gun (Ruger, Colt, S&W) than buy something from south america. None of my US-made handguns is worth less than what it sold for originally. Rossis and Tauruses don't hold their value. Just ask anyone who has tried to sell one less than 6 months after they bought it. Heck, I've never even been tempted to sell my Rugers.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NEAR GREENWOOD, INDI
    Stay with Smith and Wesson revolvers. Buy more then you can afford.Buy the best you can buy. More pricey up front? yes. but will be worth it when (IF) you sell it. Does anyone really want a used Rossi/charter arms revolver? OVERTHEHILLGUY

Last edited:

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    If you can find one, my favorite is a Ruger security six with the 6 in barrel. Use mine deer hunting and it makes a great range gun. Tough as an anvil,bought used,it seems to have been made in 78, and still works great. think I gave $150.00 about 2 years ago.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Of the ones listed the only one I have personal experience with is the Rossi. I have fired a few of them and my roomate has one. I really like them alot and they have a fair price as well. I own a Taurus and love it. I know many people will have negative comments on Taurus and Rossi and that is their opinion. I am not trying to start a war here I am just giving my opinion as well. I like Taurus and Rossi! Don't get me wrong S&W makes very nice quality revolvers and if I have a chance I would like to get one someday, but I would still keep my Taurus. I have fired S&W revolvers before just not the models you listed. I also really like Ruger revolvers. Good luck in your decision!

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I've got a 686 2.5" that I really like and for a range gun a 686 4" would be good, but my dad has a S&W 66 6" that is an absolute tack driver, thats what I would recomend.

Radtgaeb

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    The Ruger is built like a tank ....i love them ...

A lil heavy to carry everywhere ,atleast the gp100 , but you cant beat the way they are made and the reliablity :twocents:

QFT. Just purchased a GP100, and it's a fine weapon. I'd stay away from Rossi, as well; they're made by Taurus, and while Taurus automatics are fine, I'm leery of their revolvers. Ruger has the triple-locking system on the cylinder, which is GREAT. :rockwoot:

I handled some S&W as well, still think the GP100 is sturdier...built like a tank, and still cheaper. Some people say it's too weighty for CC, but I disagree. Then again I'm a bigger guy and I lift regularly, so whatever.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Love my Taurus 617 It's goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it has a nice wide trigger and hammer making it comfortable to operate. I also like that it has 7 shots. Let me repeat that's 7. Not 5 not 6 but 7 shots. Did I mention that for the money I like my Taurus 617. Wouldn't turn down a Ruger or S&W but for the money I choose Taurus. Not Rossi I've hear too many stories.

sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    S/W MP

I was fortunate enought to acquire a Smith and Wesson Military&Police .38 a few years ago. I really don't know the exact model number. What I do know is that even though it is older than I am - it feels, looks and shoots better than many of my newer pieces. My wife loves it, managable recoil, quick reaquisition. Good gun.

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Stay with Smith and Wesson revolvers. Buy more then you can afford. The best you can buy. More pricey up front? yes. but will be worth it when (IF) you sell it. Does anyone really want a used Rossi/charter arms revolver? OVERTHEHILLGUY

:+1:You will not be sorry if you get ANY S&W revolver,(only sorry if you sell it) as long as it is not rusted and abused. I had an 8 3/8 barrel M-27 in the 1970's and an old rusty 6 inch a few tears, I mean years ago.Yes, I am sorry I sold/traded them.But they retained their value. And even the rusty one shot2" groups (from the bench)all day with almost any .38 or.357. If you can't afford the price of a new M-27(few can nowadays) look around for a used one. Rugers are good too.:patriot:

Top Bottom