• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Yesterday, between the rain, I managed to get out and put some .38s through my Uberti birdshead Cattleman. This morning, between showers, I went out with my Harrington and Richardson Auto Ejecting 3rd Model, 1st variation (smokeless), in .32 Smith and Wesson.

It was made between 1905-1908. Well, I have been reloading for it, since I picked it up last year, and was unable to find ammo for it. I am casting an 87 grain lead round nose bullet and pushing it out at 700 fps with a light charge of 700X. A very mild load for the old pocket rocket, even though she is in excellent condition, inside and out.

So, I was pinging rounds off of my 50 yard gong and working my way through the third cylinder of ammo when the action developed a hiccup. I first thought it was an ammunition issue. Broke her open and couldn't see any problems. I tried to finish the cylinder but had the same issues. I downloaded it and headed to the shop.

After a short inspection, I was certain that the timing had gotten off on the little revolver. I could see the hand coming up but it would not turn the cylinder in time with the bolt coming up. If I helped the cylinder along with my fingers, everything else was functioning.

I was heart broken. I had fired less than 100 rounds through the gun, since I got it. Knowing that number one; finding a gunsmith that could and would work on it would be hard and two; the fees associated with such an endeavor would be more than the little revolver is worth, I began to wipe it down and the thought of regulating it to a wall hanger sank in

Well, what I found out, in doing so, was that there was the smallest accumulation of lead on the face of the cylinder and the rear of the barrel. Why does this matter? Well, the tolerances on this revolver, in that location is tight. I didn't dig my feeler gauges out, but I can just slip a cash register receipt between the barrel and cylinder. Maybe 2-3 thousandths of clearance. I cleaned the lead from both surfaces and lo and behold, I do NOT have a timing issue. The revolver is running perfectly fine, again. I am a happy man.

Attachments

• 20210426_003104.jpg
      20210426_003104.jpg
      2.8 MB · Views: 26
    • 20210221_175453.jpg
      20210221_175453.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 26

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Revolvers tolerate neglect better than semi autos, but are less tolerant of long round count maintenance schedules. Especially with dirty loads.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It's always a relief and a source of satisfaction when you figure out a problem that had you feeling down and out.

My Smith 617 once locked up at the range which forced me to end my session early and head home wondering what awful thing had happened to it. After some brief toothbrush cleaning in a couple of key areas, it freed up. A little bit of lead in the wrong place was all it took to render it inoperable.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Another thing that binds those up is dirt or powder residue under the extractor star.

Both very nice looking guns! What grips are on the Uberti?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    ScouT6a, with lead build up does your bullet diameter need to increase?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Interesting that lead buildup specifically, not general shooting gunk, was able to fill in enough of that clearance to drag on the cylinder and prevent lockup. Definitely an easier fix than trying to re-time via adjusting the hand.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Love the birds head!! Glad you got the pocket rocket going again... love those old break top revolvers too....

Top Bottom