Revolver For Wife. Hammer or Hammerless?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I just had a new student yesterday that purchased a 2" 38 revolver on the advice of a co-worker. She had never shot anything other than a 22 previously. After shooting my SR-22 I put a Glock 17 in her hands and she loved it. Next up was the snubby and she didn't care for it at all. 1 shot and she said "I need to buy another pistol", this is too difficult to shoot. First two shots out of the Glock at 5 yards were adjoining holes and the only hit the 10" by 10" paper twice out of 5 shots with the revolver. Learning to manipulate a 14# long double action trigger is a daunting task for a new shooter.
    I would make sure your wife understands how difficult a DA 2" 38 is to shoot before buying anything..
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor
    Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member
    1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My wife prefers the S&W 442. We did get her the Hogue grip for it though. I think that in "the shtf moment" when a belly gun is needed that recoil won't be a big deal, as long as she has shot it enough ahead of time and won't be surprised by it. Those guns aren't meant to be a "range gun" they are for personal protection at close proximity to the target. That's just our opinion anyway.

I will also echo what others have said that you need to find something she is comfortable with. We live down in the Martinsville area. If your wife would like to try shooting the 442, she would be welcome to try Mrs. GGF's.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just had a new student yesterday that purchased a 2" 38 revolver on the advice of a co-worker. She had never shot anything other than a 22 previously. After shooting my SR-22 I put a Glock 17 in her hands and she loved it. Next up was the snubby and she didn't care for it at all. 1 shot and she said "I need to buy another pistol", this is too difficult to shoot. First two shots out of the Glock at 5 yards were adjoining holes and the only hit the 10" by 10" paper twice out of 5 shots with the revolver. Learning to manipulate a 14# long double action trigger is a daunting task for a new shooter.
    I would make sure your wife understands how difficult a DA 2" 38 is to shoot before buying anything..
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor
    Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member
    1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic
    ^^ this! And also what chez said. There's nothing more to say.

Top Bottom