20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Review: Wiley-X Guard Sunglasses / Shooting Glasses
    by esrice
    Supplement to the original review by magic man

87cf15cd.jpg

Initial Impressions

Reading magic man's review of these glasses was like being inside my own head. :n00b: I currently wear a pair of old Oakley Half Jackets, and I too was looking at purchasing another pair. Therefore my impressions are largely based on that comparison.

His criteria for selection, as well as mine, were:

• Ballistics rated to double as range glasses
    • Good under eye and side lens coverage
    • Interchangeable lens
    • Straight arms
    I wanted something that could pull double-duty-- wearable both on the street and on the range, without looking out-of-place at either.

I personally like a half-rim design, so that is what initially caught my eye about the Guard. I also prefer straight arms, as they fit better in conjunction with a ball cap, or when propping on top of my head while indoors.

The interchangeable lenses are ideal for range work, as my shooting is often done not only in sunny times, but also dusk/dark. Having the ability to transition from dark tint to clear without an entirely new set of glasses is a real value.

b2c19d06.jpg

So with that in mind, I set out to find a pair locally. Sure, I could order them online, but I'm picky and I really wanted to try them on first, just to be sure. All the shops that carry the Wiley-X line on the south side of Indy had a very slim selection-- often only 3 or 4 frames total. One place offered to order the Guard so I could "try before buy", but said it would take 2 weeks. :n00b: As I'm leaving for a cruise in a week, that wouldn't work.

I finally started calling all the places that carried Wiley-X on the other sides of town. More 'No's. I finally hit gold when I talked with "Tom" at Revolution Eyes at Clay Terrace in Carmel. | RevolutionEyes | Indianapolis | Carmel He not only went through his Wiley-X stock to find them, but he offered to hold them for me until I could get up there later in the day. When I arrived he had them waiting for me all packaged up, complete with lots of swag from the doctor's office (and I'm not even their patient).

9318cd2f.jpg

After ensuring that they fit properly, Tom also showed me their entire line of Wiley-X sunglasses for men and women. They had lots of models to choose from in its own display case. I would HIGHLY recommend checking out this shop if you're interested in the Guard or other Wiley-X models.

Online, direct from Wiley-X, you can purchase the Guard for $75 + shipping. I was able to pick these up from Revolution Eyes for just $79 out-the-door. I consider that an EXCELLENT value.

Now, on to the glasses.

b2d93861.jpg

The Guard is a half-rim design, which means that you have no annoying line in your lower peripheral vision. In comparison to my current Oakley Half Jackets, the lenses are slightly larger, and wrap more completely from side-to-side and eyebrow-to-cheek.

From a style point-of-view I slightly prefer the smaller lenses of the Oakleys. However, from a purely functional point-of-view the Guard wins hands down. They completely seal up your eyes (even without the included sweat guard) from wind, dust, and dirt-- very important to a contact-wearer like myself. Even my oddly-long eyelashes don't get in the way or brush the lenses.

ba8da403.jpg

9cb1e7e8.jpg

The arms, as discussed above, are straight and very comfortable (so far, after wearing them 1.5 hours). Time on the range with earpro will be the true test. They hold nice and snug, even when the sunglasses are propped up on my head.

78daa630.jpg

2a485a90.jpg

1d63039b.jpg

5ed79f28.jpg

Although very very minor, the trademarks on the inside seemed a bit "loud" for my taste. I would prefer they be a bit more subdued.

1e42dbb8.jpg

273f06b4.jpg

The rubber nose piece is nice and solid, yet comfortable.

ee0997f3.jpg

The included sweat guard is interesting. Time will tell if I ever really use it or not.

874f81d5.jpg

536dd2f2.jpg

Same goes for the included elastic headband. :dunno: The way it installs is certainly simple and unique.

9d8f0d69.jpg

989117a3.jpg

2de9f559.jpg

The included case is pretty nice, albeit kinda large. It has reinforced soft sides to provide some crush protection while in your luggage, but it won't survive being run over by your car. It has some goofy belt loops permanently attached to it. It also has slots for keeping your extra lenses safe and clean.

5bdb559f.jpg

To break it down. . . .

Pros:

• Comparatively inexpensive
    • Wind/sand/dirt blocking
    • Ballistic rated lenses
    • Versatile
    • Lightweight
    • Comfortable
    Cons:

• Lacks the overall "quality feel" of Oakleys (tough to quantify)
    • Not as stylish as Oakleys
    • Not as easily found as Oakleys

Overall I'm very happy with these new sunglasses. I will add to this review later after I take my vacation with them, and after I get some range time with them.

:ingo:

Part 2: Style for the Street

As I said before, I wanted sunglasses that could function both for everyday wear, as well as for the range.

cd728b4b.jpg

Last week I got my chance to wear the Guards for extended periods of time while vacationing in the Bahamas. This allowed me to get very familiar with them, and I quickly figured out what I did and didn't like.

52badeb7.jpg

The Good

I sometimes have issues with wind and small bits of debris flying in my eyes. As a contact wearer, this can be anything from slightly annoying to OMG STOP THE CAR I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING! One of the best features of these sunglasses is that they wrap and conform to my face such that almost all wind is blocked. As someone who also has longer-than-normal eyelashes, I also appreciate that they don't hug so close to my face that my eyelashes make contact with the lenses.

58a68f87.jpg

64aad92f.jpg

Even with straight arms, the sunglasses hold nice and tight to my head and face. While we were para-sailing I went ahead and used the included head strap just as a precaution. It might've been useful in the event of us falling into the water, but they weren't necessary given any additional wind gusts we experienced while 'flying'.

fmhbb.jpg

With my old Oakley Half Jackets, the arms would always sit on the outside of any ballcap that I wore. With the Guards the arms are more flat, and therefore they will actually tuck up underneath a hat comfortably, without putting downward pressure on my ears.

ee48f090.jpg

The dark lenses provided plenty of light and UV protection. They are very clear, and come clean with a simple wipe of the included cleaning cloth. Even after a day at the beach, where they had sand and salt-water deposits all over them, I simply ran them under the faucet for a minute, shook them dry, and wiped down the lenses.

The Not-So-Good

I'm not a vain person, but part of me cannot get 100% comfortable with the way the somewhat oversized lenses look on my face. My wife said they were reminiscent of the old As-Seen-On-TV "Blue Blockers". I realize that everyone's face/head shape is different, but my pale-white skin, chubby cheeks, and lack of hair might add to this perception. I do, however, like the way they look when I'm wearing a hat. :dunno:

Its still difficult to quantify, but the Guards simply do not "feel" as high-quality as Oakley sunglasses. The plastic frames squeak a little when bending them to swap lenses. The shiny silver logo on the side appears cheapy.

Due to the way the frame wraps to fit your face, they are still rather bulky when the arms are folded. This means that they won't fit into anything other than a bulky case. It also means that they stick up further on your head if you've propped them up there. Not the end of the world for me.

The Summary (so far)

I like them. But I think I like them slightly more as versatile range glasses than every day sunglasses. I might still end up with another pair of Oakleys in the future, but I will continue to wear the Guards every day until I do.

At $75, they are an excellent value if they can do double-duty. I'm not as thrilled with $75 glasses if they will only be used on the range, but they are certainly perfect for that role. The interchangeable lenses makes them very versatile.

I have a refresher training day scheduled next weekend, so that should give me some time with the Guards on the range. I'll be sure to report back then with Part 3.

Part 3: Home on the Range

This past weekend I had the chance to use the Guards on the shooting range, spending an entire day running drills with friends.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nge_report_with_a_side_of_wind_pics_vids.html

These sunglasses really excelled in this environment. Their wrap around design and wind-blocking abilities really shined, as winds were a constant 20+ mph with gusts up to 30mph. My eyes were able to relax and focus on the targets, without squinting because of sun or wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvqUqKpwuwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvqUqKpwuw

I was so pleased with the gray lenses that I never bothered to switch over to the brown or clear. The clear will come in handy during night shooting, but I will probably never use the brown.

The arms, being flatter than Oakleys, did a nice job of keeping my earpro sealed nice and tight. They were comfortable for the most part. I would start to "feel" them after about 2 hours of muffs being on. Taking the muffs off for 2 minutes while I jammed mags seemed to let me go another 2 hours.

During a non-essential walk across the range I did have a small moth get blown directly into my face and down behind the glasses. Problem was they wrap so well that he couldn't then get OUT. Quickly removing the glasses entirely solved the issue.

Final Thoughts

Overall I am very please with these glasses.

At $75 they aren't the most expensive options available, but they certainly aren't the cheap $5 hardware store glasses either. What you get for that extra $$ is ballistic rated lenses that will protect your eyeballs in the event of debris flying back in your face-- a very real threat when shooting any firearm.

The only thing they failed at was being able to fill double-duty as both everyday and range glasses. Once I get another pair of Oakleys for everyday wear, they will become dedicated range glasses. The good news is that they are very well-suited for that purpose.

If you're interested in trying them out, see the above distributors or hollar at me the next time you see me at the range.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom