Range Report with a side of WIND (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As has become our monthly ritual, shooter521, troy_mp, and myself got together down in southern Indiana to shoot some drills and do some refresher training. As always, we outlined our goals for this trip in advance.

• Work on pistol and rifle skills (3 Glocks, 1 AR and 2 AKs)
    • Get re-acquainted with the AK platform in preparation for the upcoming Henk Iverson class (shooter521)
    • Work through several scored and timed drills, including the MEU(SOC) drill
    • Get acquainted with my new 10.5" SBR.
    • Record a video comparison between the A2 flash hider and the BattleComp 2.0
    • Beta test a new all-cardboard portable target stand system
    The forecast called for a high of 86 degrees and possible rain showers in the evening. Upon arriving at the range in the early afternoon we noticed something that would be more detrimental to our goals-- WIND. The range is located on flat farmland that sits in somewhat of a natural valley. Due to this we experienced constant wind pressure of 20+ mph with gusts often hitting 30mph. Constructing target stands became an exercise in futility, as the wind would tear the backers, tip over the stands, and then finally snap the uprights. Although extremely frustrating at first, we simply adapted our goals to the new environment.

• [STRIKE]Work through several scored and timed drills, including the MEU(SOC) drill[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Beta test a new all-cardboard portable target stand system[/STRIKE]
    • Focus on shooting with movement by utilizing 2 66% Bobcat Steel targets mounted in Bobcat Steel stands
    • Beta test the new target system at a later date
    29cq4it.jpg

We were so impressed with steel targets' ability to withstand the wind we decided to film a "commercial" for Bobcat Steel. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wbt6e9yKTw

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/bobcat_steel/143913-bobcat_steel_saves_the_day.html

At the end of the day we decided that although the wind was an annoyance, it did keep the 80+ degree heat from soaking us in sweat. Like anything, its often a trade-off.

Aside from the wind it was an absolutely gorgeous day. We never did get any rain. If you look closely here, you can see shooter521 kicking and cursing at several target stands. :D

aay9vr.jpg

Gettin' geared up. We decided that if we were even going to be in a gunfight, we'd need at least 30 minutes advanced warning to get all of our ninja gear on. :laugh:

33as6kk.jpg

A little INGO love.

e03amt.jpg

We started with shooting pistols on the move. First left-to-right, then right-to-left, forward and backward, primary and support side. Even threw a little supine in there.

Next we worked on trigger control. We took turns shooting our guns that our buddy loaded, not knowing if there was a round in the chamber or not. If the person pulled or jerked the trigger, they were forced to get 10 good hits with 10 good trigger pulls as punishment. This is certainly the area where I need the most work.

With rifles we did many of the same movement drills. We also ran a "mystery mag" drill wherein your buddy loads your magazine with 1-5 rounds. You are then asked to give the target a total of 5 rounds. If your buddy only loaded 3 rounds, you were forced into a speed reload while simultaneously managing your ammo count.

We also worked on rifle trigger control by shooting some rapid fire drills in which we went as fast as we could while still making accurate hits, focusing on the importance of follow-through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxHrmycHU7I&feature=player_embedded

shooter521 smoked this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TekfUILEC7s

To mix things up we decided to move it back a ways to about 130 yards and try shooting in the high wind.

2wgymtw.jpg

zixglg.jpg

I was extremely impressed with the accuracy of the Noveske upper. After mounting the Aimpoint H1 (which, oddly enough, didn't require any zero changes) I was easily making hits on the steel with 55gr ammo going monopod prone.

2ii73ba.jpg

After running through all the drills with the standard A2 flash hider installed on the Noveske, we decided to compare it to the new BattleComp 2.0.

(tip: bring your gunsmith to the range with you ;):D)
    2s6274p.jpg

Here we are discussing what combination of shims would be best to try first.

rjmbsx.jpg

Viola!

4fwbdj.jpg

Although I will have a full comparison coming soon that features the differences across all 3 shooters, here is a teaser to give you an idea of what the BattleComp does on a 10.5" gun.

Standard A2 flash hider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi25NwK4nuk

BattleComp 2.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvqUqKpwuw

Not satisfied with the giggling that shooting the BattleComp elicited, shooter521 brought out his Gemtech HALO. The look on his face was priceless when he stood upwind 25ft away and heard only an air-gun-esque report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXAriKllmU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4TF6bbbuMc&feature=player_embedded

2e0odar.jpg

All in all it was a GREAT day. I think we all came away tired and dusty, ready to relax. I want to especially thank troy_mp and his family for again opening up their farm and giving us a place to practice those skills we find important and necessary, yet impossible to perform at "regular" ranges.

What did I learn?

• I should've used sunscreen. The wind kept me from getting sweaty, but not from getting burned. Troy came prepped with some, I just didn't partake. :facepalm:
    • Trigger control. Trigger control. Trigger control.
    • I am VERY happy with my SBR.
    • Training the tough stuff sucks, but its the most important stuff you'll do all day.
    • shooter521 showed me a neat little trick for stowing the extra strap on the VTAC 2-point sling. Very cool.
    • Shooting stuff is fun!

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also, I believe shooter521 has more pics/vids/commentary to add to this report! Commentary from troy_mp as well!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    rjmbsx.jpg

Is that the wind filling your shirt or are you going to share with us your due date?:D

That looks like a lot of fun! This looks like you guys had what I would consider a weeks vacation worth of fun in this one day. I HAVE to start clearing brush at my parents farm!

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Looks like a blast,lol. Gotta love that BC! I love living on a farm too btw! I shoot and practice all the time and dont have to worry about someone calling the cops.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've done all the drills you mentioned, and love them. I've been trying to practice them on my own at my dad's little range. Which is very hard to do, since it runs downhill. Keeping your balance is VERY difficult.

What is "supine"? This is a term I'm unfamiliar with.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just curious. How do you find all your brass in that tall grass? Or do you bother with it?

The other guys were shooting steel cased stuff for their AKs. I was shooting brass cased reloads, which were indeed lost in the grass. We were moving around so much, however, that tracking it all down would've been difficult anyway.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also, I believe shooter521 has more pics/vids/commentary to add to this report!

esrice performs a textbook drawstroke:

DSCN4598.jpg

DSCN4599.jpg

DSCN4600.jpg

DSCN4601.jpg

DSCN4602.jpg

DSCN4603.jpg

DSCN4604.jpg

Neat thing is that he did the draw at full speed as part of a shooting drill, not as a demonstration of the draw itself, and I filmed it in "sports mode" on my camera, which takes a burst of 6 shots per second. That means the draw was accomplished in just over 1 second. Being able to execute a perfect technique at speed and on demand without thinking about it is what trainers call "unconscious competence". It is the level of performance to which we should aspire.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The reloads.

Evan on the Iron Widow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtALUvo5QsU

Me on the AK-105:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGfpIkHJts

These were the good ones. What you don't see is that we both screwed up our first attempts, which produced some valuable lessons.

Evan inserted his magazine, then his trigger finger instinctively went to depress the BAD lever to send the bolt home, except my lower on which his SBR upper was riding was not equipped with one! Instead, his trigger finger found the magazine release, dumping the mag he had just inserted. :ugh:

For my part, I was reloading the AK from my belt pouch instead of my chest rig, which is not something I've spent a lot of time doing. When I went to grab the mag off my belt, I initially grabbed my pistol mags and scooped both of them out instead. Dropped those, then ripped the AK mag out of its pouch, knocking the top round loose in the process, which then prevented the mag from locking into the gun. :wallbash:

Muscle memory got the best of Evan, and lack of it got the best of me. Fortunately, the problems arose on the square range, where we can learn from them and overcome them on successive attempts. That's one of the reasons why we train.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    esrice performs a textbook drawstroke:

:wwub:

Thank you for the compliments-- they mean a lot, especially coming from someone as accomplished as yourself.

IIRC, that was taken during a transition from carbine-to-pistol drill (or maybe I just happened to have the carbine on?). Either way, I've always liked the confirmation that pictures and video can provide after a drill. They allow you to see exactly what you did right and wrong, and where you can improve.

Now that we know that your camera has that ability, we'll need to see what else we can freeze-frame. :yesway:

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Great AAR. I learned a lot from your training session, with the primary thing being that I don't train enough! Makes me wonder about all the uber ninja / zombie equipment that is out there that will never perform when needed because the operator can't make it happen.

Most of us could benefit from moving a little money from the "cool gear" fund to the "practical training" fund and immediately realize the benefits from the gear we already have.

Again, awesome job capturing the training in pictures and commentary.

Top Bottom