• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Not sure what this coating is. It looks more like the black coating they use inside the plastic guns. :dunno: I have other blued pistols and no rust on them.
    I wonder if it would be an option to ask Ruger when the refinish it, to just refinish it with a standard blueing?:dunno: Maybe a dumb thought, but it's a thought.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I got the Ruger back at the beginning of the week and it has been refinished. The work sheet says:

Refinished firearm
    Repaired cylinder
    Smoothed action

I'm not sure what repair was done to the cylinder, but suspect it was whatever was causing it to be hard to close once it got heated up. The cylinder is definitely easier to close cold now, it was pretty stiff originally. Hopefully tomorrow I can heat it up and make sure it functions fine before I start carrying it again.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I got the Ruger back at the beginning of the week and it has been refinished. The work sheet says:

Refinished firearm
    Repaired cylinder
    Smoothed action

I'm not sure what repair was done to the cylinder, but suspect it was whatever was causing it to be hard to close once it got heated up. The cylinder is definitely easier to close cold now, it was pretty stiff originally. Hopefully tomorrow I can heat it up and make sure it functions fine before I start carrying it again.

Thanks for the update.

Let us know how the finish holds up this time. I've got one of these I picked up in Winchester a few months ago. It's only been to the indoor range a few times and not carried much yet. So far the finish is holding up well but it does concern me some.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I had a standard 3" GP100 years ago and loved it. I agree the frame is like a Smith 686. The L frame S&W's use a K size grip frame and grips. So to me, the GP100 grip is as big as an N. A bit large for my wimpy hands.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I called Ruger and they are having it picked up from my house tomorrow and will refinish it. They said it may be a bit before I get it back due to a factory shut down the first week of July.

Customer service was great, they were friendly and said since I'd had it less than a year they'd take care of shipping both ways.

I tried to get some pics to show it, but not sure how well the pics capture it.

Note the light speckling along the roll mark, especially along the word "Ruger" and under the word "read":

Wear around the muzzle:

Compared to the right side, which isn't showing much wear:

The marks there are just dust and lint from the shelf carpet in my safe.

Called Ruger with the same problem with mine, plus the crane latch is very stiff making the cylinder hard to open. Not so great service for me, I have to pay the shipping..

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Called Ruger with the same problem with mine, plus the crane latch is very stiff making the cylinder hard to open. Not so great service for me, I have to pay the shipping..

It seems endemic for everyone who actually carries it. The "Hawkeye Blue" finish is apparently meant to be looked at, not used. I quit carrying mine in favor of the P220, but am strongly considering just getting it cerakoted.

Top Bottom