• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I'm calling Ruger tomorrow. After only 3 months of carry its getting rust speckling and the muzzle has serious holster wear. I know bluing doesn't last forever, but I figured it'd hold up better over 3 months.

I'm carrying it in a Galco Speed Paddle while on duty and a Galco Summer Comfort while off duty. It hasn't even been that hot, so its not been sweated on that much while IWB.

A little disappointed, really. It still shoots great, but I hate to see such a beautiful gun have a finish that doesn't hold up to real world use.

Why didn't you tell me this before I bought a holster to carry it! :D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I called Ruger and they are having it picked up from my house tomorrow and will refinish it. They said it may be a bit before I get it back due to a factory shut down the first week of July.

Customer service was great, they were friendly and said since I'd had it less than a year they'd take care of shipping both ways.

I tried to get some pics to show it, but not sure how well the pics capture it.

Note the light speckling along the roll mark, especially along the word "Ruger" and under the word "read":

2013-06-24102539_zps6053a578.jpg

Wear around the muzzle:

2013-06-24102552_zps763433c7.jpg

Compared to the right side, which isn't showing much wear:

2013-06-24102613_zpse8c126bf.jpg

The marks there are just dust and lint from the shelf carpet in my safe.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Nice to see such a beautiful Ruger revolver and what a great report. Sounds like you have a real winner and a keeper. We should all enjoy our weapons as much as this member did in this report and will probably continue to do so. After I finished reading the post, the first thing I did was check my ammo supply and look at the weather report for this weekend. Looks to me like a great shooting weekend coming up!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    0603130022_zps5719833d.jpg

Mine is plain and old. I bought it in 1989 for about $260. I really like it. I need to get it out for some range time. Thanks for the motivation. When you get yours back and try it SA. Let us know what you think.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Talked to my friend who also bought one today and he said his wife is noticing rapid wear on hers as well. I didn't ask what kind of holster as I didn't think to until I'd already left. This might mean its wide spread, but it also may not as he bought his at the same gun store I bought mine at and about 10 days later, so its quite possible they are from the same "batch." Or it may be a problem model wide, dunno.

Looks like a conundrum. Great gun, shoots great, but is going to wear quickly if you carry it.

He suggested nickel plating it, but I have no idea what that'd run and I like the dark color. Maybe Cerakote, I dunno. Hopefully Ruger fixes the finish for me and its better than the original.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Talked to my friend who also bought one today and he said his wife is noticing rapid wear on hers as well. I didn't ask what kind of holster as I didn't think to until I'd already left. This might mean its wide spread, but it also may not as he bought his at the same gun store I bought mine at and about 10 days later, so its quite possible they are from the same "batch." Or it may be a problem model wide, dunno.

Looks like a conundrum. Great gun, shoots great, but is going to wear quickly if you carry it.

He suggested nickel plating it, but I have no idea what that'd run and I like the dark color. Maybe Cerakote, I dunno. Hopefully Ruger fixes the finish for me and its better than the original.

You might consider Ionbond.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Good info. I really like the looks of the revolver, but wouldn't care for the fast wearing. Thanks again for posting this.

No problem, glad folks enjoyed it and found it informative.

They do make a stainless model that is functionally the same. About the only difference is it has a fiber optic front sight instead of the brass dot. That would probably be the better option for carry, if you can find one.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Rust speckled GP100 roll-mark here. Last time I listen to you on what gun to buy! :xmad::D:D

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I doubt I send it back, they will just put the same lame "finish" back on it. I'll have it redone locally most likely and just never buy Ruger steel again. :)

Maybe. I'll let you know how the redo does. If it doesn't hold up any better...well, I wonder what it costs to do a nice hard chrome finish...

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I doubt I send it back, they will just put the same lame "finish" back on it. I'll have it redone locally most likely and just never buy Ruger steel again. :)
    I've had several Rugers over the years and never had this kind of problem. Does the standard blue finish not hold up for you guys. My GP100 has been all over, hunting, in the rain and brush. Same with my Superblackhawk. No rust. I've had these revolvers since the 80's. Now the Super has lost a little blueing on the back of the grip and where my index finger goes for the trigger. I used to practice quick draws when I was young. Throughout my 20's that is.:laugh: I think Ruger has a great product. Hate to hear about problems.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I've had several Rugers over the years and never had this kind of problem. Does the standard blue finish not hold up for you guys. My GP100 has been all over, hunting, in the rain and brush. Same with my Superblackhawk. No rust. I've had these revolvers since the 80's. Now the Super has lost a little blueing on the back of the grip and where my index finger goes for the trigger. I used to practice quick draws when I was young. Throughout my 20's that is.:laugh: I think Ruger has a great product. Hate to hear about problems.

Not sure what this coating is. It looks more like the black coating they use inside the plastic guns. :dunno: I have other blued pistols and no rust on them.

Top Bottom