• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Wearing glasses and shooting glasses is a real hassle to me. Because of that, I recently decided to pick up some ESS Crossbow Shooting glasses with their Vice Rx insert. The Crossbow glasses can be purchased with their standard stems or what they call their Suppressor stems, which are thinner for use with over the ear hearing protection. ESS had a sale going at the time, so I decided to get both and see which I liked better.

I ordered the Vice RX Insert without the prescription lenses. I took the insert to Wal-Mart and got a pair of single vision lenses for them. Wal-Mart only wanted $30 for the prescription lenses. They were purchased as safety glasses which was less than half the cost of plain prescription lenses.

The pair on the left are the regular Crossbow stems, the pair on the right are the Suppressors. I found the suppressors do not stay on my face well without the strap attached. The Crossbows were nicely snug without it.
    ess%20stem%20comparison.jpg

ess%20side%20comparison.jpg

They have a new Photochromic lens, which uses Transitions Optics Lenses to automatically change to sunglasses like my regular glasses do, so I decided to get one of them as well.

This is the Crossbow with clear lenses
    ess%20crossbow%20clear.jpg

This is the Crossbow Suppressors with the Hi-Def Copper Lenses.

ess%20copper.jpg

And this is the Crossbow with the Photochromic lenses as well as the Vice RX Insert installed.

ess%20photo.jpg

The glasses arrived in a pair of protective cases. A single pair case and a two pair case. the cases are semi-rigid and hold the glasses snugly. The two pair case is molded inside with slots to keep the glasses in place while in the case.

ess%20cases.jpg

ess%20open%20cases.jpg

All three of the frames feel well made. The protective lenses remove easily. You open a clip in the middle of the frame and pull the lens out of the frame.

ess%20clip.jpg

ess%20lense%20hook.jpg

The nose bridge pulls out of the lens as well.

ess%20taken%20apart.jpg

To use the RX insert, you must replace the nose bridge. The glasses fit snug to the forehead. The new nose bridge moves the glasses out enough to get the prescription lenses away from your eyelashes. The pair on the left have the RX INsert. The pair on the right have the regular nose bridge. I found it easiest to use a pen or screwdriver to help push the bridge into the lens when replacing it.

ess%20nose%20bidges.jpg

I tried both the Crossbow and the Suppressors with two different ear protectors that I have. I didn't find the Crossbow to be uncomfortable with either of them. Nor did I notice them being pushed away from my head by the stems. The Suppressors, as I stated above, were not snug and required the elastic strap to keep them in place.

So far I am happy with the purchase. I still need to wear them for an extended time to get a final impression, but I do not foresee any issues. For now I prefer the regular Crossbow. We will see if that holds true with extended use.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've been using the Crossbow Suppressor glasses for about 2 years now and I love them. Unlike the OP, I haven't had an issue with the glasses staying on, when I have my ears on. The cans snug them in and keep them in place. Unlike a lot of glasses, you can put your ears on first and then slip these glasses on. I enjoy mine enough that I bought a second pair for my wife to use when she goes to the range with me and she loves them as well. She had a problem with normal glasses with thicker frames causing her pain when she put ears on, but she doesn't have that problem at all with the Suppressor frames.

BTW, here's an Amazon link to the Suppressor frame with the copper insert:

Robot Check

They have other kits as well. Check ESS as well, to see who is selling them cheaper at any given time. I bought the Crossbow frame, Suppressor frame and three inserts in a kit at the NRA convention for a good price, but got my wife the set in the link. I recommend them for anyone wanting quality shooting glasses.

EDIT: I'm unsure why the link says Robot Check, but it does indeed go to the Amazon link....:dunno:

bill075

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks wtburnette for sharing your experience with the Crossbow Suppressor safety glasses.

My concern is with the insert (vice Rx insert) and that we (wife also) need a progressive lens prescription.
    I know ESS only does single vision so I would have to check with a optical store to see if it will work.
    Shimp optical (Indianapolis) my be able to make this work.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks wtburnette for sharing your experience with the Crossbow Suppressor safety glasses.

My concern is with the insert (vice Rx insert) and that we (wife also) need a progressive lens prescription.
    I know ESS only does single vision so I would have to check with a optical store to see if it will work.
    Shimp optical (Indianapolis) my be able to make this work.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out, as we may need to do something similar for my wife. Thanks.

bill075

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Good luck. Let me know how it turns out, as we may need to do something similar for my wife. Thanks.

A update to the price on progressive lens. Like so many things you can go cheap or high end on progressive lens, I went middle of the road and the price I was quoted was north of $200. (mounted)

Will do more pricing next week

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Nice review.
    Are you still happy with them?
    Yep. I love them.

A update to the price on progressive lens. Like so many things you can go cheap or high end on progressive lens, I went middle of the road and the price I was quoted was north of $200. (mounted)

Will do more pricing next week
    I have no-line bifocals for my every day glasses, but I went to Wal-mart and got single vision lenses for these. They were $30. There was a discount for safety glasses.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Used ESS Crossbow glasses on multiple multiple high risk dynamic ops. Always stayed in placed and protected well from the common flying glass and such. Still have 2 pair, they are my go to shooting glasses.

Top Bottom