• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So I am retiring a bit earlier than planned. I plan on waiting 1.5 years to start drawing on my SS and pension, which will be age 65. I will need to tighten the belt a little bit. But I thought before I tighten it too much, I should get myself a congratulatory gift.
    Things I am considering:
    H&K USP Expert .45
    H&K MR762a1
    Galil Ace 2 5.56
    Citori 20g

I am not sure which of these I need most or if there is something else that I might need even more...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    First, congratulations!

It’s a milestone accomplishment. Which one, to you, is most representative of this once-in-a-lifetime achievement? If possible, it should be the item, when you hold it, use it, you’d associate with this accomplishment the most.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    For commemorative items, I want the mere sight of the object to bring back a flood of positive memories. It should take you back to stories, feelings, and relationships. It doesn't matter what the object IS, it's what it is connected to. With that as the marker, the object must be pleasing in its own right, as your brain will more immediately associate pleasure with pleasure. Wood and finely finished steel does it for me. Ubiquitous and utilitarian does not. I can buy many items to "use", but very few to embody an experience.

Don't underestimate the power of "wow" items, even for conversation launch points. People recognize specialness when they see it, and they want to know the story. On top of that, there are inheritance factors, etc.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Congrats! Not to be emotional or ruin the good vibes, but its an amazing accomplishment and thank you for contributing to society and all the hard work, late hours, early morning, blood sweat and tears you sacrificed for all those years.

A lot of people, sadly, do not live to retirement age. Not only is it an accomplishment to have worked and completed that aspect of it, but being healthy enough and blessed to have the opportunity to live to retire is a blessing on its own.

Congrats again expat, you deserve it and im really happy for you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What do you enjoy shooting most? Hopefully you will be hitting the range a lot more often.
    I joined a range this year so that i could get out more. I even signed up for a couple of classes that they offer. So I am looking forward to it. Unfortunately they dont have a trap or skeet set up and the longest range is 100 yards. But I should have enough ammo to last me awhile :D

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Congrats.

Get the Citori. I’d like to imagine that’s the kind of gift that used to be given at retirements by colleagues

I remember when a guy for Indiana division fish & wildlife retired after like 35yrs the boys got him an engraved Golden Boy.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Why not get them all?

Reduces the risk of regret.
    YOLO.
    You've earned it.
    I could go on, but you get the point.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    4 possibly 5 more years until I retire, I’m already trying to talk my wife into me buying a 1968 442 convertible as my retirement gift (I had one back in the 80’s)
    Crap, you have single handedly changed my retirement strategy. I drove a '65 Impala convertible in high school/college and had a '65 Corvair convertible in the late 1990s. So I guess I have to get one later.

Maybe that will be my justification to work part time an extra year, to [ay for the fun car.

1711129506775.png

Top Bottom