• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    1. Thanks Be Mike! I really appreciate you taking the time.
    2. I read much of what you said to my wife and we marveled at your pension covering your basic expenses.
    3. Not so for a teacher pension, but since I get SS, that could even us up, and between the two for me: it will cover our basic expenses, and we will have a small "pile" to cover extra-ordinary expenses. When that runs out, we are in trouble, but we will still eat, and for fun, if I have the energy, there is always the wife who is my friend-with-benefits. :rofl:
    We were married 10 years before we got our first home. We lived with lawn furniture for the living room and a picnic table for a dinner table. Luckily, when we moved, and we moved a lot, we were able to make a little money on each house. Now, we live in a decent neighborhood in a moderately nice house and our mortgage payment is very small compared to most people. My wife worked at various jobs over the years and now she gets much more SS than I. We also were able to save some money and invest it. I also saved enough college money to help pay for one kid's college, with her working part-time. The other didn't go to college. I did advance to a fairly high level and got into the old Civil Service Retirement System (pension system), which was a big draw for me entering government employment. I also was under hazardous duty retirement and worked a lot of overtime over the years. Although keeping up with house chores and repairs, as well as, lawn work keeps me pretty busy, and until recently, taking care of the elderly parents and their business affairs, I still find time for friends and hobbies. Some hobbies of mine are free, but the shooting related ones cost some. Like I said before, I think hobbies are important. I still like doing things with the wife, but I need to go to the man cave now and then and hang out with the old geezer buddies once in a while. I'm sure that going into the teaching profession, you'd never plan on getting rich. I know I never thought I'd get rich working for the government and my expectations were realized. Working part-time after retirement filled the gap for hobbies. Retirement is a big mental adjustment, as well as, financial. Some people so identify with their careers that they can't live without working. Hope you get to enjoy your retirement years.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We were married 10 years before we got our first home. We lived with lawn furniture for the living room and a picnic table for a dinner table. Luckily, when we moved, and we moved a lot, we were able to make a little money on each house. Now, we live in a decent neighborhood in a moderately nice house and our mortgage payment is very small compared to most people. My wife worked at various jobs over the years and now she gets much more SS than I. We also were able to save some money and invest it. I also saved enough college money to help pay for one kid's college, with her working part-time. The other didn't go to college. I did advance to a fairly high level and got into the old Civil Service Retirement System (pension system), which was a big draw for me entering government employment. I also was under hazardous duty retirement and worked a lot of overtime over the years. Although keeping up with house chores and repairs, as well as, lawn work keeps me pretty busy, and until recently, taking care of the elderly parents and their business affairs, I still find time for friends and hobbies. Some hobbies of mine are free, but the shooting related ones cost some. Like I said before, I think hobbies are important. I still like doing things with the wife, but I need to go to the man cave now and then and hang out with the old geezer buddies once in a while. I'm sure that going into the teaching profession, you'd never plan on getting rich. I know I never thought I'd get rich working for the government and my expectations were realized. Working part-time after retirement filled the gap for hobbies. Retirement is a big mental adjustment, as well as, financial. Some people so identify with their careers that they can't live without working. Hope you get to enjoy your retirement years.

1. Enjoyed reading your post muchly. I identified with your approach and to many things and circumstances.
    2. In my case, my 2nd home (bought as a fixer-upper for $15k and sold for double that, giving me about $12k for the next house, $38kish), and so on.
    3. Love your story about your "lawn furniture" and "picnic table." My version was I grew up going to estate auctions, so it was in my blood to go to the weekly auction and buy all my furniture for dimes-on-the-dollar in used prices.
    4. I have discovered that my work is a big part of my "self-worth," but in the past few years I have not had a traditional teaching job where I "perform" but more of a "cheerleader." 95% of the fun I had "performing" in the classroom is gone, so it has been a good transition to what it is like to not have your job dictate your self-worth.
    5. I have other lives, but some of them have been curtailed or completely halted due to the creep of aging, which in my case has been unexpectedly more rapid than anticipated b/c of arthritis, but it could be worse, some here on the site as examples.
    6. I believe you about the hobbies being important. To me, as an escape, and as fun for as long as it is such.
    7. When younger, my hobbies were in the exercise world, as hard as that is for me to believe that now and wonder who that person was in my past. :dunno:
    8. So, the emergence of range time as "exercise." A bit more expensive than the YMCA per month. :laugh:
    9. My old "geezer buddies" have moved on years ago to different parts of the country, so I do worry about the loss of that when retired and lose even the guys "at the office."
    10. The reality and truth of your statement: "Retirement is a big mental adjustment, as well as, financial," is not lost on me.
    11. That will be where the real battle will be fought: loneliness, not financial, which is sobering.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    1. Enjoyed reading your post muchly. I identified with your approach and to many things and circumstances.
    2. In my case, my 2nd home (bought as a fixer-upper for $15k and sold for double that, giving me about $12k for the next house, $38kish), and so on.
    3. Love your story about your "lawn furniture" and "picnic table." My version was I grew up going to estate auctions, so it was in my blood to go to the weekly auction and buy all my furniture for dimes-on-the-dollar in used prices.
    4. I have discovered that my work is a big part of my "self-worth," but in the past few years I have not had a traditional teaching job where I "perform" but more of a "cheerleader." 95% of the fun I had "performing" in the classroom is gone, so it has been a good transition to what it is like to not have your job dictate your self-worth.
    5. I have other lives, but some of them have been curtailed or completely halted due to the creep of aging, which in my case has been unexpectedly more rapid than anticipated b/c of arthritis, but it could be worse, some here on the site as examples.
    6. I believe you about the hobbies being important. To me, as an escape, and as fun for as long as it is such.
    7. When younger, my hobbies were in the exercise world, as hard as that is for me to believe that now and wonder who that person was in my past. :dunno:
    8. So, the emergence of range time as "exercise." A bit more expensive than the YMCA per month. :laugh:
    9. My old "geezer buddies" have moved on years ago to different parts of the country, so I do worry about the loss of that when retired and lose even the guys "at the office."
    10. The reality and truth of your statement: "Retirement is a big mental adjustment, as well as, financial," is not lost on me.
    11. That will be where the real battle will be fought: loneliness, not financial, which is sobering.
    I was born and raised here, but moved away to live with Uncle Sam after high school. Married my high school sweetheart and took her away with me. After retirement we came back to help our elderly parents. I renewed my relationship with many of my childhood friends. Most of them are gun people. That being said, one fellow I met when I moved back is avid about guns, etc. and although he wasn't a childhood friend (childhood friends introduced us), we hit it off. We shoot about once a week and are members of our local indoor range. You may find a similar shooting buddy who likes to shoot, reload, etc. and talk about it when not actually doing it. I've met other seniors at the range who have similar interests. One is a retired teacher. We shouldn't be afraid to start new friendships at our age. Many of my old friends are passing away or becoming unable to physically get out and participate in hobbies. I try not to get stuck in the same ruts. My wife was a long time GSA leader. I learned this: "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold!"

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had the pre-retirement meeting in the Fall, but today I had the real one.

At 2:15 pm today I met with my retirement/investment counselor and we filed for retirement to start in July, with the 1st pension check starting in August.
    I discovered a mistake in my computations concerning comparing my present monthly income with my retirement monthly income, which means I'll be taking a $400/month hit I didn't expect, all b/c I forgot to compute the extra check I presently get twice per year b/c paid 26 checks/year instead of 24/yr.
    The loss of the two checks is equivalent of about $400/per month loss spread out over the year when comparing. :crying:
    Then, today I found out my anticipated monthly pension figures didn't reflect a $280 less/month amount b/c I forgot to figure in my wife getting 100% of my pension in the event of my death. :wallbash:
    After an appropriate amount of mourning, I want her to have all of my pension, not 2/3 of it or 50% of it to celebrate life with. :lmfao: She's earned it.
    Bummer that my pension can't start in July, but has to wait till August. :dunno:

I will file Social Security later, but early enough to be sure the 1st check will be in July (near end of month b/c of my year of birth) to pay for August 1st bills.
    Not knowing/anticipating/predicting how slow SS will be is an X factor. My counselor wants to file sooner than later, which will cost me a loss of $16 - $30/month.

I wanted to put off filing till the last possible month, b/c for every month a person puts off collecting after reaching FRA, it means more money per month for life.
    In my case, only $16 more for each month, but hey, that ammo for the month since I won't be able to afford 300 rounds shot twice/week at the range when retired.

I intend to tell my Principal tomorrow since she would find out in 2-4 weeks anyway.
    B/C she loves to micro-manage, I'm loving how she will learn (next year when I'm gone) of the dozen different things I did that noone knows about to make things go along smoothly.
    The other teachers already hate me b/c of the extra paperwork I do which the Principal uses as an example to prompt them to go the extra mile: they don't. :lmfao:
    There is a learning curve to the job, and due to the clientele, it is not a job for just anyone (alternative ed. students who would normally not graduate).

Due to my "attitude" about money, the counselor said I had positioned myself very well for retirement compared to other teachers in general:
    knowing to the dollar what my expenses were due to strict "tracking" or budgeting,
    balancing out my investment accounts with a good mix of low/moderate/high risk.

In my main "pile" of retirement/investment money (which I haven't figured in at all for the monthly income), I staggered in 5 main accounts.
    Ironically enough, even though I started with the same amount in each account (gradient risk in each), the "riskiest" account (more stocks than bonds) is about 20% further ahead in growth than my most conservative account (more bonds than stocks), even through up/downs of the market in the past 15 yrs.

Just goes to show you that you need to be diversified but have even that moderated from slight risk to moderate risk to most risk (in my case still fairly conservative).
    I'm more of a "moderate" risk taker. I won't get rich but won't lose everything. Small pockets of money I will let ride on the 500, just for fun, but not my main accounts.
    Once, in 1 quarter, when I had everything in only the Index 500, I lost $8000, and panicked, took the loss and put the "pile" in more conservative accounts: stupid.
    I knew better intellectually, but I panicked.
    If I would have left it alone, and let it ride and recover (which I told my son to do b/c of his youth), I would have had much more in my acct. after the good ride we have had lately.
    Even after my accts. suffered here recently, b/c of the nature of my accts. I didn't lose much and recovered nearly all of it already.
    You got to leave some monies in growth accts. of some sort.
    I have two friends who both have 10 times the amount in their accts. (not teachers, ha!), and they have frozen them so as not to lose anything b/c they don't need the growth. With their other retirement income they would have to live 50 more years to drain it all out.
    I'm just trying to get 16 yrs. out of my "pile" by minimal usage. Not for ammo. :laugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm loving how she will learn (next year when I'm gone) of the dozen different things I did that noone knows about to make things go along smoothly.

She won't care.
    It's not her "business/company".
    I work for a large steel mill. People retire thinking, "won't they be surprised".
    And no one cares.
    The company loses money. Then they figure it out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm loving how she will learn (next year when I'm gone) of the dozen different things I did that noone knows about to make things go along smoothly.

She won't care.
    It's not her "business/company".
    I work for a large steel mill. People retire thinking, "won't they be surprised".
    And no one cares.
    The company loses money. Then they figure it out.

1. Wise words. Thanks for sharing them. :thumbsup:
    2. I, like everyone else before me, likes to think they are irreplaceable, but the older I get, the more that I see that is just self-importance looming its egocentric head.
    3. Our particular program is very small (not a school), so that allows me to think that I'm indispensable, but I am gone in my mind already.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    but I am gone in my mind already.

We have already surmised that.... Sorry, I couldn't resist:lmfao: Congrats on your retirement, you won't regret it. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I had the pre-retirement meeting in the Fall, but today I had the real one.

At 2:15 pm today I met with my retirement/investment counselor and we filed for retirement to start in July, with the 1st pension check starting in August.
    I discovered a mistake in my computations concerning comparing my present monthly income with my retirement monthly income, which means I'll be taking a $400/month hit I didn't expect, all b/c I forgot to compute the extra check I presently get twice per year b/c paid 26 checks/year instead of 24/yr.
    The loss of the two checks is equivalent of about $400/per month loss spread out over the year when comparing. :crying:
    Then, today I found out my anticipated monthly pension figures didn't reflect a $280 less/month amount b/c I forgot to figure in my wife getting 100% of my pension in the event of my death. :wallbash:
    After an appropriate amount of mourning, I want her to have all of my pension, not 2/3 of it or 50% of it to celebrate life with. :lmfao: She's earned it.
    Bummer that my pension can't start in July, but has to wait till August. :dunno:

I will file Social Security later, but early enough to be sure the 1st check will be in July (near end of month b/c of my year of birth) to pay for August 1st bills.
    Not knowing/anticipating/predicting how slow SS will be is an X factor. My counselor wants to file sooner than later, which will cost me a loss of $16 - $30/month.

I wanted to put off filing till the last possible month, b/c for every month a person puts off collecting after reaching FRA, it means more money per month for life.
    In my case, only $16 more for each month, but hey, that ammo for the month since I won't be able to afford 300 rounds shot twice/week at the range when retired.

I intend to tell my Principal tomorrow since she would find out in 2-4 weeks anyway.
    B/C she loves to micro-manage, I'm loving how she will learn (next year when I'm gone) of the dozen different things I did that noone knows about to make things go along smoothly.
    The other teachers already hate me b/c of the extra paperwork I do which the Principal uses as an example to prompt them to go the extra mile: they don't. :lmfao:
    There is a learning curve to the job, and due to the clientele, it is not a job for just anyone (alternative ed. students who would normally not graduate).

Due to my "attitude" about money, the counselor said I had positioned myself very well for retirement compared to other teachers in general:
    knowing to the dollar what my expenses were due to strict "tracking" or budgeting,
    balancing out my investment accounts with a good mix of low/moderate/high risk.

In my main "pile" of retirement/investment money (which I haven't figured in at all for the monthly income), I staggered in 5 main accounts.
    Ironically enough, even though I started with the same amount in each account (gradient risk in each), the "riskiest" account (more stocks than bonds) is about 20% further ahead in growth than my most conservative account (more bonds than stocks), even through up/downs of the market in the past 15 yrs.

Just goes to show you that you need to be diversified but have even that moderated from slight risk to moderate risk to most risk (in my case still fairly conservative).
    I'm more of a "moderate" risk taker. I won't get rich but won't lose everything. Small pockets of money I will let ride on the 500, just for fun, but not my main accounts.
    Once, in 1 quarter, when I had everything in only the Index 500, I lost $8000, and panicked, took the loss and put the "pile" in more conservative accounts: stupid.
    I knew better intellectually, but I panicked.
    If I would have left it alone, and let it ride and recover (which I told my son to do b/c of his youth), I would have had much more in my acct. after the good ride we have had lately.
    Even after my accts. suffered here recently, b/c of the nature of my accts. I didn't lose much and recovered nearly all of it already.
    You got to leave some monies in growth accts. of some sort.
    I have two friends who both have 10 times the amount in their accts. (not teachers, ha!), and they have frozen them so as not to lose anything b/c they don't need the growth. With their other retirement income they would have to live 50 more years to drain it all out.
    I'm just trying to get 16 yrs. out of my "pile" by minimal usage. Not for ammo. :laugh:

You are an inspiration, someone who has clearly tried to do things "right" and plan ahead, and has an intimate knowledge of your financial status. You also understand that you have 100% ownership of your situation. That acceptance of responsibility is something sorely lacking in today's world.

My "plan" appears to be work for some part of state government until I die. :): I've worked in two of the three branches (executive and judicial), now if I can get a position in the legislative branch, I'll have hit the trifecta!

Congratulations on your meticulous planning, and I sincerely wish you the joy in retirement you deserve!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We have already surmised that.... Sorry, I couldn't resist:lmfao: Congrats on your retirement, you won't regret it. :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

1. I enjoyed the humor! As you might "surmise," humor is the nectar of life to me! :)
    2. I have enjoyed every chapter, every phase of my life to the fullest, and am truly curious as to what retirement will bring, as I can't imagine not having to work.
    3. Regret? I used to be so glad when school started up in the Fall after working like a real man all summer in some type of construction (in my younger days), but lately, if summer vacation just continued, I would be fine with it, and this is the summer that it will happen after 5 decades that I will not have to go back to work at end of summer. :rockwoot:

You are an inspiration, someone who has clearly tried to do things "right" and plan ahead, and has an intimate knowledge of your financial status. You also understand that you have 100% ownership of your situation. That acceptance of responsibility is something sorely lacking in today's world.
    My "plan" appears to be work for some part of state government until I die. :): I've worked in two of the three branches (executive and judicial), now if I can get a position in the legislative branch, I'll have hit the trifecta!
    Congratulations on your meticulous planning, and I sincerely wish you the joy in retirement you deserve!

4. Wow! You are really feeding that sense of importance to which I referred! Very kind words, and I thank you sincerely.
    5. With all the processing I do about buying a simple few hundred dollar handgun, you can imagine how I've been going to retirement seminars for years to educate myself to be sure of my choices.
    6. I had always planned to literally work until 70 to maximize my retirement income quite handsomely over what it will now be (in my eyes).
    7. I think my hip surgery last summer and future one hanging over my head has pushed me into some urgency about not letting all my remaining health be spent in the classroom: I'm ready for something different in my "end times." :laugh: (you know when writing how I love the dramatic!)

8. Your last sentence truly cheered me. I always second guess myself and overthink, especially when I found out this pm that I was going to be $700 "short" of what I was expecting in my monthly income (the "padding" I was counting on), but I have been determined that I can get back to my frugal roots, despite my reckless hobby this past nearly 2 yrs. :ar15:
    9. I will hate having to actually walk the walk about trimming instead of just talking the talk. But, I do love to talk something to death before actually doing a thing.
    10. Do you think anyone notices? :rofl:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    If you haven't already taken care of it, consider setting your son up with power of attorney, medical POA, etc.

Hopefully none of it will be needed for decades but it sure is nice to have it if it is needed.

After seeing how well the appropriate estate planning worked out for my parents, my sister and myself, I took care of it all and have both my daughters legally set up to step in if needed.

Congrats on retirement. I have no doubts that you will enjoy it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you haven't already taken care of it, consider setting your son up with power of attorney, medical POA, etc.
    Hopefully none of it will be needed for decades but it sure is nice to have it if it is needed.
    After seeing how well the appropriate estate planning worked out for my parents, my sister and myself, I took care of it all and have both my daughters legally set up to step in if needed.
    Congrats on retirement. I have no doubts that you will enjoy it.

1. Well, with my daughter being a lawyer and one of my best and longest friends on Earth being an estate/financial planner (I actually don't even know his official title, since he's the owner): he did the Living Trust that has all that included.
    2. He was giving me a discount and charging $1500 to do it for me, and in the end he wouldn't take any money, explaining he had "bonus" points or something so it didn't cost him anything.
    I normally would never allow that, since it is his business and his living, but since I know his secret that he's a millionaire but you'd the never-know-it-kind, so I "allowed" him to be generous. :laugh:
    3. I never even saw his generosity coming and had put off getting it done due to the usual $2500 fee it cost to set it up, and I was soooo smart, I was going to do it by myself. :ugh: I researched it, and had figured out most of it. :lmfao:
    4. I am smarter now. :coffee: Let the professionals do their thing.
    5. Now that that I'm "going public" at school, I'm a little numb about it.
    6. I just want to get the next 16 WEEKS over with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I told the Principal yesterday, and when we had a meeting after school she told the other teachers and we discussed my departure.
    I had time to put a pencil to the figures and b/c of the 2 mistakes I made figuring my "new" income (a loss of $700/month) in addition to the $940 loss that I was aware of in monthly income totals up to $1640 less in income per month: stunning and sobering.
    I was prepared to deal with the original loss of nearly $1000/month but the truth of the the real amount certainly takes the joy out of it.

I know I have been living "large" and would have to cut back to a "retirement" lifestyle, but this is going to be tough.
    I am determined though, and if I need to substitute teach some, or get a "whatever" part time job: so be it.
    It definitely is going to be interesting and in the context of "the hobby" will be a more severe/austere "trimming" than I had predicted.
    But, I don't work just to fund a hobby, so we will see what happens.
    I wanted to order some ammo last night, but since I haven't even received my last order, I didn't: the beginning of the new level of "trimming."

Having picked up a new gun last evening, it might be my last, and having received my upgraded Shadow 2 this past Sat., it will be the last of such lavish expenditures. :laugh:
    If you think I was cheap during my time of plenty, you won't believe what this time next year will bring, even I can't wait to see how it transpires.
    Until then, I shall enjoy shooting the ammo I have stored, and shooting what I have, and making decisions on which guns I get to keep.

I don't need 9 semi-auto .22LRs, but is certainly is fun. I already made the decision to cut another revolver, since I don't need 2.
    The real difficulty is with the 9mms. I will always keep my .38 revolvers, but I could have to downsize my beloved Colt Cobra for more generic .38 revolver (like I have had in the past): time will tell how long I can hang onto what I have.

I am selling my Sig 365, so I could buy one with a safety, but I don't see that happening now.
    I can keep the Ruger LC9s for my one semi-auto CC, and of course, I would always keep my Ruger LCRx .38 revolver for CC: no compromise there.
    I can justify a couple of the larger 9mms for home protection and when I want a larger CC, when time and clothing allow.
    Off to work now!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you think I was cheap during my time of plenty, you won't believe what this time next year will bring, even I can't wait to see how it transpires.

Just going to say this, you probably spend more on shooting and firearms (and pursuing them) now than a considerable portion of the members on INGO (myself included I'm guessing).
    That's not a bad thing, nor is it an indication of anything but that it is a hobby that you put some resources towards, but while I consider you someone who watches what they spend on the hobby and individual items/expenditures, and focuses on that aspect of it quite a bit, I don't see you as being poor at least when it comes to resources put toward firearms, etc.

Again, it's just where folks spend their available resources, etc as well as where they are in life (some eat out more, some spend more on hobbies, some save more, some spend it more on required items, kids, etc), and that's up to the individual, but the "poor" discussion has about run its course.

I understand you are processing, and that a drastic reduction in income is forthcoming, all good topics, and I know that part of you being able to shoot as much as you do and purchase the firearms you do is a function of trying to maximize the money you do have to put toward it (many of us do those things -- just being fiscally smart to some extent), but the poorness you mention is not reality.

This statement is probably coming off bad from me, and I myself can focus on costs, etc quite a bit (we all have what we value and how much we think things are worth, etc), but the poor routine just gets a bit old. I can't/won't (you pick which) run with some of the big boys here in terms of firearms expenditures (single gun or likely overall collection, etc), but I'm sure I spend money on other things they don't.
    We all make choices (for some of us our wives make alot of those choices, which is in itself a choice).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just going to say this, you probably spend more on shooting and firearms (and pursuing them) now than a considerable portion of the members on INGO (myself included I'm guessing).

1. It has been a wonderful format for "vacationing" for me.
    2. I get like to get consumed with something and enjoy it, but in the past didn't have the time to pursue hobbies (working 2 jobs) or the resources in the earlier days.
    3. It has been so much fun!
    4. My wife has realized that the guns are not the expensive part (they can be and are sold) but the ammo is the main source of real loss that cannot be recouped.
    5. The wife and I had a conversation just today about if I knew how much I spent on ammo (the real cost of the hobby)
    6. I have a 4 phase gun reduction plan in place as of today.
    a. Phase One: now, selling a couple of guns (one not even listed yet).
    b. Phase Two: selling some .22LR pistols this summer
    c. Phase Three: selling a couple of my favorite 9mms (difficult) at end of year/beginning of next year.
    d. Phase Four: selling more .22LRs (ouch) that would be the summer of 2020.

7. Hopefully Phase 3 & 4 will not have to happen as scheduled, but my substituting/working that will delay the time schedule.

That's not a bad thing, nor is it an indication of anything but that it is a hobby that you put some resources towards, but while I consider you someone who watches what they spend on the hobby and individual items/expenditures, and focuses on that aspect of it quite a bit, I don't see you as being poor at least when it comes to resources put toward firearms, etc.

8. I do watch and I track, but I've not had to be disciplined b/c of the good money flow.
    9. That will change, and the "fun" of running 2-300 rounds through at the range twice per week will come to an end.
    10. I will shoot less rounds while at the range (already started doing that), and will shoot more .22LR than 9mm, which I haven't hardly shot any .22LR b/c I've been buying/selling 9mm.
    11. For example: depending on the range results and practical carry applications, I will keep or sell either the CZ P-10 or the Bersa PTR9cm since I want a larger CC gun option available to me.
    12. It will kill me when the time comes to make a decision between the CZ Shadow 2 (freshly upgraged) and the good-shooting Bersa Thunder Pro XT competition gun.
    Not b/c I don't want to keep the Shadow 2, but it cost 3 times what I have in the Bersa XT. Hopefully, I will indulge, and/or hopefully, that "crunch" is in the future.

Again, it's just where folks spend their available resources, etc as well as where they are in life (some eat out more, some spend more on hobbies, some save more, some spend it more on required items, kids, etc), and that's up to the individual, but the "poor" discussion has about run its course.

13. Understood: it is resource application, and since I'm married and she doesn't share my hobby, the hobby will have to have a less priority if $$ is not there for both.
    14. I use the word "poor," really more as a comparison of lifestyle, not literally poor. My dry humor is coming into play and that doesn't do well in print. If you had met me you'd get it, ha!

I understand you are processing, and that a drastic reduction in income is forthcoming, all good topics, and I know that part of you being able to shoot as much as you do and purchase the firearms you do is a function of trying to maximize the money you do have to put toward it (many of us do those things -- just being fiscally smart to some extent), but the poorness you mention is not reality.

15. The reality that I have always known is coming is that I can't spend $1000/month on my hobby. Whether it is dialed back to $100/month or $200/month remains to be seen. I was just talking to a retired friend Sunday about how he handled his retirement. He spent alot of money on his fishing competitions: boats, equipment and etc. He stopped it all and sold most everything and only does a little now and is happy with that.
    16. One of the reasons I hit it so hard with buy/sell/shoot this past 2 yrs. is b/c I knew time was limited: I just didn't know now limited since I only decided I'd retire last Fall.

This statement is probably coming off bad from me, and I myself can focus on costs, etc quite a bit (we all have what we value and how much we think things are worth, etc), but the poor routine just gets a bit old. I can't/won't (you pick which) run with some of the big boys here in terms of firearms expenditures (single gun or likely overall collection, etc), but I'm sure I spend money on other things they don't.
    We all make choices (for some of us our wives make alot of those choices, which is in itself a choice).

17. Not at all, I really appreciate your comments: you are one of the top people I enjoy reading even if you slap me occasionally (I don't remember, actually, ha!).

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have one suggestion and it is if you retire, don't take a job at a gun shop. You'll be like a kid in a candy store! Don't ask me how I know this!:whistle:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have one suggestion and it is if you retire, don't take a job at a gun shop. You'll be like a kid in a candy store! Don't ask me how I know this!:whistle:

1. :rofl: My wife would probably forbid for the obvious reasons. :laugh:
    2. I would want to be on the floor or behind the counter selling, and I really don't have the experience to be hired in that context.
    3. I do realize that I have 2 yrs. worth of experience and the real sales guys probably have been around guns their whole life and have forgotten more than I know. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    2. I would want to be on the floor or behind the counter selling, and I really don't have the experience to be hired in that context.
    3. I do realize that I have 2 yrs. worth of experience and the real sales guys probably have been around guns their whole life and have forgotten more than I know. :dunno:

You would be surprised. For many LGS you would be considered over qualified.
    I have always heard not to turn something you love into a job, but I think it would be cool in a part time retirement job.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Gun salesmen are equivalent to car salesmen. Some know their stuff, some don’t. All statements should confirmed elsewhere.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Realizing I won't be paying as much taxes and can't fund a Roth will help my $1370 disparity between my income now and my retirement monthly income.
    I knew about both of these in concept but won't know its full impact on my money flow per month at first b/c I won't know if my "dependents" that I take will be accurate.
    But, I won't know about the taxes till August, and won't really know until I have a full year of retirement in 2020.
    This year I'll have 7 months of "regular" pay and only 5 months of retirement income, so it will not be full realized until the next year.

I am terribly excited about it all though!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another step toward Retirement today: applied for Social Security.

(already turned in my papers the Teacher's Pension in Febr.)

10 more weeks to go starting 2nd week in April.

Top Bottom