• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yep, no doubt about it we were supposed to move to Indiana but sometimes I really miss having ranges for both muzzleloaders and for centerfire out back.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have 4 weeks left before retirement (19 days exactly).
    I'm taking a Personal Day next Friday to get a head start on visiting the daughter and grandkids in TN for the long weekend.
    I have a 4 day week, then another 4 day week, then 4 days before graduation, then 5 days left before last day for students, then the last day: "records day,"
    which will be a play day for me b/c I'll have everything done early.
    I have been throwing a little bit away every day for weeks now from my files or taking them to Teacher's Treasure to give away to other teachers.
    I have been on the committee doing job interviews for my replacement, and that is fun.
    Reflecting my humor in any situation, just today I warned the Principal that the candidate we were interviewing was going to be after her job since she just finished her Master in Administration and starting her Doctorate program. :lmfao:

There never is a "perfect" replacement for someone like me who has taught in 5 different decades with a varied background of 13 yrs. middle school, , 15 yrs. of special education, 8 yrs. of alternative education and the rest in regular H.S.
    At the end of the day it takes a leap of faith to know whether a person is going to "play-well-with-others."
    It is nice that others (Principal, Counselor & Dean) recognize all the behind-the-scene things that I do to make my job look easy and fluid from being able to deescalate situations/conflicts along with detailed record keeping. (I'm sure no surprise there :laugh:)
    Yes, I'm excited. :rockwoot:

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    You have worked long , and hard enough putting up with all those kids. You should be proud of what you did for them, now do for yourself.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You have worked long , and hard enough putting up with all those kids. You should be proud of what you did for them, now do for yourself.

I have paid my dues, starting in 1975.
    This job with alternative ed students was my pre-retirement job.
    Much less stress than working with classes of 40 strong 6 periods per day.
    But, at a certain point: you are done!

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Congats doddg, I trust that you will enjoy your retirement. I retired from teaching nine years ago, after teaching 39 years in the same school. During that time, I have seen a lot of changes in our educationsl system with a few of them that were repeated using a different title. Next fall my teaching slot will be filled by the 3rd teacher since I left. That sort of bothers me thinking that neither the students nor the program has continuity, but I can’t do anything about that. So, look back on your years as a teacher with pride and confidence knowing that you influenced a lot of sudents in a positive way. Suerte.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congats doddg, I trust that you will enjoy your retirement. I retired from teaching nine years ago, after teaching 39 years in the same school. During that time, I have seen a lot of changes in our educationsl system with a few of them that were repeated using a different title. Next fall my teaching slot will be filled by the 3rd teacher since I left. That sort of bothers me thinking that neither the students nor the program has continuity, but I can’t do anything about that. So, look back on your years as a teacher with pride and confidence knowing that you influenced a lot of sudents in a positive way. Suerte.

Just today when I was at the range a young man was checking in talking to the man behind the counter and I was chiming in about what they were talking about.
    All of a sudden he starts asking me questions because he realized I had him in a Government class and his brother in a psychology/sociology course many many years ago.
    That was fun.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I bought significant amounts of ammo and reloading components before I retired.
    20k .22
    Lots of .223 and .308.
    60k rounds worth of components for 9mm, .40 and .45.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have already figured out what I am going to do to keep shooting.

FREDGARVINPOSTERjpg.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm surprised how much I've shot already.
    1/2 of the .22 is gone (the grandkids help with that),
    4k .223, gone. 2k .308, gone.
    It's not gonna last...樂
    Yeah, and Wallie World eliminated the job of greeter, so it'll be doubly hard for us old farts to earn ammo money!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I remembered I had a "Retirement" thread and found it and read through it again this week since I'm retired now.
    Fun seeing my processing through stages.
    I didn't even think of retiring seriously until last Fall sometime: WOW, be careful what you think about!

It's official now: teachers reported to work last week of July and I'm starting to feel the "fun" of not being at work and having friends that are.
    Nearly all of my personal close friends have been retired: I was the youngest in the group.

The financial realities of my projected $1400 per month of less income (really $1300 b/c of waiting to file for SS at the last minute gaining extra $$/mo. and even for the wife who switched to spousal support), have not hit yet.
    Even though retirement didn't officially start until last week of July, I have been on summer break for 6 weeks with full income until August hit.

There has been "windfalls."
    $1137 for an "extra' partial month pension check I wasn't expecting (an accounting issue), and a last school regular July paycheck of $2817 since pay is 2 weeks in arrears.
    I'll never see those again and both hitting in the same months as regular pay coming in seem like extra money.

I bought the wife carpet for the open area and hallways of our "new" downsized house (2 yrs. in Nov.) since there was extra money, just in time for our anniversary, so I get to be a hero in her eyes. :)
    When we bought the house with brand new light grey carpet (contractor grade), I thought we'd have 5 yrs. before replacement.
    The wife thought differently.

Had to get 2 crowns done July 10th with no dental insurance ($1837), but found out when I checked into paying for my Cobra dental late in JL (forgot to do it), it was retroactive since I was still under the grace period.
    It only paid $612 of it, but I was grateful.
    I also have a medical account (like an HSA) for $13,000, which is a part of my retirement package, which will be wonderful till it runs out paying for all the deductibles. I used it 2 days after it was activated to pay for the $1837 crown work, taking the pain out of such things. Getting $612 from the Dentist seems like a bonus since I had already paid the bill.

Our medical expenses last month was over $3000, normally over $1000 except at the beginning of the year and all the deductibles hit.
    You can see where medical is truly the X factor in retirement.
    Paying 1 cent for my Dental Insurance was a nice work benefit. It costs $45/mo. with my Cobra and might cost as much as $100/mo. for both of us when that runs out.

46th Anniversary today. Being low-key this year, not going anyplace special.
    Wife so happy to get new blinds/curtains and carpet that she had no interest in any trips.
    Blind guy finished yesterday, and we were supposed to get carpet samples in the mail today, so she didn't want to "vacation."

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Although my health insurance (now supplemental to Medicare) costs me over $500.00 per month, it is good to have when we needed it most (wife's breast cancer, etc.). We have no dental insurance and that can get very expensive quickly. We recently became debt free and that is a load off and not having that mortgage payment going out every month is a blessing. I feel fortunate to have acquired all the necessary equipment to reload, including progressive presses, over many years. I can afford to shoot around 200 rounds of centerfire ammo (mostly 9mm). I figure I save about $650.00 in ammo costs over factory ammo each year. The more .45 ACP I shoot, the more I save. Because of circumstances (taking care of our elderly relatives) we really didn't get to go anywhere for a relaxing vacation for years. We did get to a reunion this year in Kansas City (8 hr. drive) for 4 days. Right now, retirement life is good and I have never once regretted my early retirement. My advice is, if possible, do what you are able to do now. Life flies by and being able or willing to do things goes along with it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Although my health insurance (now supplemental to Medicare) costs me over $500.00 per month, it is good to have when we needed it most (wife's breast cancer, etc.). We have no dental insurance and that can get very expensive quickly. We recently became debt free and that is a load off and not having that mortgage payment going out every month is a blessing. I feel fortunate to have acquired all the necessary equipment to reload, including progressive presses, over many years. I can afford to shoot around 200 rounds of centerfire ammo (mostly 9mm). I figure I save about $650.00 in ammo costs over factory ammo each year. The more .45 ACP I shoot, the more I save. Because of circumstances (taking care of our elderly relatives) we really didn't get to go anywhere for a relaxing vacation for years. We did get to a reunion this year in Kansas City (8 hr. drive) for 4 days. Right now, retirement life is good and I have never once regretted my early retirement. My advice is, if possible, do what you are able to do now. Life flies by and being able or willing to do things goes along with it.

I really hear you about doing what our health will allow now before the time runs out.
    We know the longer we wait the more problematic travel will become.
    I've got another hip surgery due plus a heart valve that we just discovered that has gotten worse, so that's not going to make things any easier and my wife has ongoing issues that make travel an issue.
    The wife has been happy for me to be able to get things done around the house since our 1st summer in the "new" house I was out of commission, so we haven't even thought about any travel yet.
    When it comes to shooting, since I don't have the stress of work and don't need the escapism/detraction of the range as much, I find I'm not shooting as much as I did when I was working which is surprising.
    I'm really enjoying our time right now with each other.

Top Bottom