• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    more for health reasons than anything else but I am looking forward to not go in any longer.
    A few months from now, people will ask you how long it took to become adjusted to retirement.

For my wife, it took about 2 years as I was still working.

For me, I sent an email to my boss at 3:30 am, left the plant and as I drove thru the security gate I asked myself if I was doing the right thing. 22 minutes later, I pulled into the driveway and realized I was "adjusted" and never regretted it.

Best wishes for good health and happy days ahead!

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    I retired 1/31/2020 and am glad of it. I work so much for myself now, it makes me wonder how I ever got anything done back when I was away from home for 12 hours a day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Congrats! Enjoy! I've got 4-7 years left. And then PT work after that unless I can figure out how to rent my current home and live in something else.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I retired the first of the year and I honestly hate it. I volunteer at an animal shelter 3-4 days a week just to keep busy.

I truly wish you good health and happiness in your retirement Sir.
    Wow, sorry to hear you hate retirement. Awesome you are assisting at the local animal shelter.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Retired at the end of March 2013 just a couple months after turning 66 full retirement age. Probably took about an hour to adjust and happy as a pig in warm mud. I will admit it would be nice to have more money but still making ends meet just on SS and a couple smallish pensions.
    I also have no idea how I ever got things around home done while working 40/50 hours a week. I stay busy with shooting, reloading and my small wood shop. Jim.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Retired at the end of March 2013 just a couple months after turning 66 full retirement age. Probably took about an hour to adjust and happy as a pig in warm mud. I will admit it would be nice to have more money but still making ends meet just on SS and a couple smallish pensions.
    I also have no idea how I ever got things around home done while working 40/50 hours a week. I stay busy with shooting, reloading and my small wood shop. Jim.
    Good to hear you don't need $1,000,000 to be able to retire. That seems to be the "magic" number "everyone" says you must have.

I have been reading/watching some stuff lately though that some may be coming off that number. Probably realizing that a lot of people will never hit that number as far as savings are concerned.

My full retirement is closer to 67 (66, 10 months?). I will work at least until then and assess at that point whether I push on to 70.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will turn73 or so on thursday,, the cancer diagnosis had way more to do with my decision than my age.
    And those are decisions we all have to make regarding "when" to retire. They say, if you wait until age 70, it takes 12 years to realize a benefit. So that means living to at least 82.

My dad died at 68 and my mom is still alive at 94. As I get older, I'll have to consider my life span.

My dad certainly did not outlive his money or experience any real hardships, moneywise. However, my mom did and now she in living in an assisted living facility. If it wasn't for a Medicaid waiver that brings her monthly costs down to what her SS payments can afford, I'm not sure where we/she would be.

Though she is fine and mentally/emotionally solid, I'm not sure I would fare as well in that situation.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Enjoy your retirement!
    I retired early due to an on the job injury in 2008 at 58.

Old age is catching up fast now.
    Don't stop or slow down until you have to.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Congratulations on the retirement, sorry to hear about the cancer. Now you have time to get after that cancer and beat it! My dad survived a serious bout of colon cancer (14 hour surgery, staff renowned 3 times!) for 27 years. Prayers sent for you.

Top Bottom