• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    This is a shout out to retailers - especially those in the retail food industry. My wife and I went out to a local restaurant Saturday night with some friends. We had an excellent meal - the food was great and the service was excellent.

I don’t often review the bill line item by line item but just generally scan it to make sure it’s reasonably close to what I was expecting. When I looked at the bill I noticed something I‘ve never seen before. A notation of a $.01 charge for “rounding up.” I asked the server for an explanation and she wasn’t really able to provide a clear answer.

As an aside the people that we were eating with had no such charge on their bill.

Wondering if anyone can offer a brief explanation of the “rounding up” logic ?

Attachments

• F922596C-3A5E-449B-AD0D-E090F9D5011E.jpeg
      F922596C-3A5E-449B-AD0D-E090F9D5011E.jpeg
      668.6 KB · Views: 107

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    This is a shout out to retailers - especially those in the retail food industry. My wife and I went out to a local restaurant Saturday night with some friends. We had an excellent meal - the food was great and the service was excellent.

I don’t often review the bill line item by line item but just generally scan it to make sure it’s reasonably close to what I was expecting. When I looked at the bill I noticed something I‘ve never seen before. A notation of a $.01 charge for “rounding up.” I asked the server for an explanation and she wasn’t really able to provide a clear answer.

As an aside the people that we were eating with had no such charge on their bill.

Don’t know about your rounding adjustment (although figures in parentheses are typically negative), but I’d be more concerned about the tax computation since 8% of 59.47 isn’t 5.12.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Don’t know about your rounding adjustment (although figures in quotes are typically negative), but I’d be more concerned about the tax computation since 8% of 59.47 isn’t 5.12.
    Yep. thats 8.6% collected in tax. Somebody programmed the POS wrong.

The rounding is the least of your worries.

On a related topic, I do like the option to round up for a cause. Especially when paying cash.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep. thats 8.6% collected in tax. Somebody programmed the POS wrong.

The rounding is the least of your worries.

On a related topic, I do like the option to round up for a cause. Especially when paying cash.
    Is the OP in one of the donut counties surrounding Marion County? If so, then I believe there's an extra 2% tax on restaurants/lodging (to pay for Lucas Oil Stadium, Banker's Life Fieldhouse and whatnot), bringing the rate to 9%. But then again, that wouldn't be right either, since that would come to 5.35. It does sound like the POS register is programmed wrong. :scratch:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is the OP in one of the donut counties surrounding Marion County? If so, then I believe there's an extra 2% tax on restaurants/lodging (to pay for Lucas Oil Stadium, Banker's Life Fieldhouse and whatnot), bringing the rate to 9%. But then again, that wouldn't be right either, since that would come to 5.35. It does sound like the POS register is programmed wrong. :scratch:
    or IS it? :tinfoil:
    8.6% in from the customer, 8.0% out to da man. .6% left over for the owner. Or the guys who do the programming if you've seen Office Space. :):

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    I'd assume it has to do with the appetizer being priced at 50% normal cost. So with their other prices being $x.99, it may be assumed that the full appetizer was $8.99 and dividing that by 50% is $4.495 hence the rounding to $4.50. But that's all I can think of.

And yeah the tax seems off as others have stated.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The rounding is from the half price onion rings.

The sales tax is on the total amount before the 50% off for the onion rings. Your total before discount was $63.96 and a tax of 8% on that amount is $5.1168 ($5.12)
    rPNCqww.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Who's getting salmon at a place that apparently has decent steak?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The rounding is from the half price onion rings.

The sales tax is on the total amount before the 50% off for the onion rings. Your total before discount was $63.96 and a tax of 8% on that amount is $5.1168 ($5.12)
    If I buy a car and get a discount price I don't pay tax on asking price, why was this tax charged at the list price not what was paid?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I'd assume it has to do with the appetizer being priced at 50% normal cost. So with their other prices being $x.99, it may be assumed that the full appetizer was $8.99 and dividing that by 50% is $4.495 hence the rounding to $4.50. But that's all I can think of.

My suspicion was the onion rings divided between the other couple and us splitting the cost. I asked the server and she said that wasn’t the case.

She provided a nonsensical response about “that’s just how the register does it” - which I didn’t believe but didn’t figure asking again and again was going to produce a more accurate response.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

You may be correct, but the guy of the “other couple” and I are best friends and rib each other constantly. I told him I got charged an extra penny on the onion rings and he just laughed and said too bad !

Top Bottom