• ...and so much more!
  • Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    I'm looking for a knowledgable person on Hi Power's that can help me make an intelligent purchase of a used FN/Browning Hi-Power. I've Been watching GunBroker and Guns.com for a couple months now and I can't determine what is good and what is bad. I see some examples that are at auction and look decent and are priced realistically but are not selling. Then I see others that look the same but are priced considerably higher and are selling.
    I'm looking for someone with knowledge of the guns and the market who I can get advice from. For instance, there are a couple of HP's on GunBroker by PittPen17 which to me look good and are priced reasonably but no one is buying them. Why I ask myself. I don't understand.
    Is there someone who would be willing to review what I find and can render opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    FNs and Brownings are beginning to hit the collector side, you will pay for those. If you are wanting a shooter, look at the Springfield offering. Everyone wants THE FNs and Brownings but, don't want to pit the cash down for one. Most that have them for sale think the have a gold mine.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    Get the best deal you can find on a T series and keep it. They look good, shoot well and hold value.
    so how do i know what's a good T Series? I've seen them all over the price range. I've watched auctions and buy it nows and some sell and some don't but i don't understand why a T Series priced at $1,800 doesn't sell but one at $2,400 does when they look equally nice.
    Is there another example not a T Series that is second most desirable?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I was looking for another HiPower I would be looking for a FN or Browning MkIII, and I'd look to spend up to MAYBE $900 at the most. But it's been a while since I looked, so I'm not sure if that's still where prices are at.

The T-series are sweet for sure, but they're collectibles, so you'll pay a big premium for one of those. If I recall correctly the C-series came after the T-series, is also a great shooter, and is collectible, but not quite as sought-after, so prices were a little friendlier.

If you just want a shooter and don't mind a clone I've heard good things about FEG.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As others have said your best bet would be a nice MKIII if you want a FN but for a more collectible pistol i would also agree on a T or C series before FN began to outsource Portugal for final assembly.

If you dont mind a clone the FEG and FM are good as is the SA35. I have also heard good things on the new Inglis L9A1 clone by SDS.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    A couple of European countries and South American countries have copies that are good shooters but zero collectability. If you just want to shoot, and not have to out bid others, then picking one of these up would be cost effective while you learn the rules of the game.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    BPS has the SA-35 for about $749, probably less that $800 OTD, I pick it up every night I work there, just a great feeling gun.
    If you like thin feeling grips, give the Navidrex thin black micartas a try. They feel like you're just gripping the frame itself with no grips installed.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    First off I am NOT an expert on them but do own 2. A silver/chrome MKIII that was assembled in Portugal
    and a plain jane stock version made in Belgium. The silver/chrome was worked over by Novak's years ago
    and was my primary carry in the 90's.

The main differences for the more recent ones are those made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal and the
    pure Belgium models. I can't tell the difference in fit/finish or shooting them other than the sights. Of course there are the more collectible "t" and "c" series. The WWII versions with Nazi markings or made after Germany took over the
    plant are an entirely different animal.

I can not fathom the prices some are asking for them these days. A Portugal assembled one in .40 for $2000? :lmfao: I have no connection to this but if I were looking for something decent without getting into collectibles this would suit
    me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No idea on these but I have ordered other stuff from arms unlimited before and they were gtg

That said, I would (and did buy 2) SA-35's but I'm not interested in collector value and always wanted a Hi Power, so went SA myself.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

WebSnyper How do you like the SA-35's any regrets?​

I like them. I have never owned a Hi Power before, but definitely like them. My daughter loved using one to shoot a plate tree a bit back.

The triggers on mine were not heavy, but the resets were a bit all over the place (for my non Hi Power educated trigger finger), so I had AllenM put cylinder and slide triggers in them (I would have probably waited and had the Apex straight trigger put in one, but it came out very shortly after I had the cylinder and slide put in the second one).

These are my "old school" SAO guns and I like them, where as I picked up a 9mm 1911 a bit back and parted ways with it as it just wasn't my thing. I'm going all optics on my other guns, and these can't really accommodate that, but if you want a Hi Power and don't care about the collectable aspect, these are good to go. SA did have some extractor issues as I understand with earlier serial number guns, but haven't seen any of that with mine.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom