• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can not even imagine the amount of trauma this poor woman went through at the hands of those "peace loving freedom fighting" people.

It's just gut wrenching. Imagine being surrounded by 200 people beating you and having their way with you.

She's lucky to be alive...

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    It's amazing how quickly the sympathy for your situation and the joy over your protests getting the desired result can evaporate because a very small percentage of people decided to act this way.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep, and they earn everything they get. you go into a mob of lunatics, in a country in anarchy and your a sexy little white woman, and you think your not gonna get raped or kidnapped? IDIOT!

even if your a white man, you are a fool and making yourself an open target for death or serious injury. These reporters think its sooooooo damn important for them to go into these places and give us an on scene report and then they want a medal or award if they get shot or hurt. I'll give them all an award. its called the idiot of the year award.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Idiots or not, it doesn't diminish what happened to her.

It also speaks the truth about who these protesters really are.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think it's arrogance.
    US reporters think they are immune to any kind of violence because they are reporters.
    They actually think the 1st amendment will work for them world wide.

I am drawing the line at not having sympathy.
    What she did was stupid, especially in light of the fact that last week a reporter was bashed in the head with a brick.
    And she was accused of being an Israeli spy...
    But, she did not deserve what she got.
    That was simply evil people doing evil things.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When I took my journalism section of my Mass Comm degree, this was discussed under "extigent circumstances". Things like being shot on a battlefield, being raped, being robbed, kidnapped, hit by meteor, or even tortured by NGOs or even governments were discussed.

The unfortuancy of being a reporter is that you are willingly being there and accecpt the things that pop up. Having met several reporters, I can say this: Depending on their general assignments, they have INCREDIBLE insurance policies and premiums. The "Watchdog" type of reporters have to pay a LOT for health and life insurance due to the risk they are taking.

Ever notice the reporters outside of the US that do the on the ground work are generally not super attractive? There is a reason for that. The raping of Lara Logan was very bad, I am not diminishing this and I do have feelings for her plight, but to not expect something of this nature is foolish when dealing directly with the worst of humanity and their actions. I hate the rape defense of "she was dressed, asking for it" or similar, but in this case... ESR hit it on the head. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong race, wrong gender, a combination of horrible things.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It also speaks the truth about who these protesters really are.

:eek: but these same press people have been reassuring us that these rioters are today's version of Thomas Jefferson. They are all very noble small d democrats according to the MSM. You know what this might mean, we may have been misled by them :(

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I can still be outraged when an expected tragedy occurs.

Regardless of her arrogance, or whatever, it is still outrageous that a person would be gang raped at a political protest. What is even more outrageous is that no one thinks this is a big deal and it's just a part of doing business in that part of the world.

Where is our moral compass pointing when we say a woman who was raped had it coming?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I can still be outraged when an expected tragedy occurs.

Regardless of her arrogance, or whatever, it is still outrageous that a person would be gang raped at a political protest. What is even more outrageous is that no one thinks this is a big deal and it's just a part of doing business in that part of the world.

Where is our moral compass pointing when we say a woman who was raped had it coming?

In any country it is an outrage, agreed. But also, in any country, even the good ol' US, the human animal is a vain, vicious, disgusting creature prone to the swaying of a crowd of other man-animals. Deprive Johnny Fatbelly of his favorite treat-food, watch even the most ardently civil man become a ferocious and despicable animal.

In mobs, riots and other situations that can only be described by theorhetical sociology, there is no such thing as morality or a limit to the outrageous.

Darwinism plays a strong role. While I agree that it's bad to say she was asking for it, I will strongly disagree with your approach that our morality is lacking due to someone else's ignorance of the environment around her and the disgusting crowd that is overstimulated and angry. Morality is subjective and only a buzzword in the face of human incivility. Face the beast, face the consequences.

In my journalism classes, far from the hallowed halls of church and philosophy, they taught us the simple, basic message: Expect the worst, keep your eyes open and hope for the best in the worst situations. That was beat into us. Those who stray too close to the celebration/tempest of human events have to face the consequences of their actions if they misstep and fall headfirst in...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think anyone would dare say that she had it coming. The point is one of two cases, she either assumed that the rest of the world was a happy little place like we have here in the US and that she'd be safe no matter what (sheeple mentality) or that she knowingly knew the risk and assumed the risk. We have it so good in this country that people take it for granted or assume that the rest of the world is just like it is here. It's a tragic mistake and I'm afraid it may have been made in this case because there obviously wasn't enough security for her. Journalists fight for these jobs and these "opportunities" to cover these kinds of stories. She knowingly put herself in harms way, but that doesn't excuse the fact that what happened was completely wrong and unacceptable. I heard on the radio this morning that it might have been as many as 80-100 men in the crowd. One is bad enough, but I desperately hope that's not the case.

The other part of this story that was getting missed by the main stream media is that not all of these people are democracy loving equal rights loving people. There will be more bloodshed there before it's all over. The stories of male reporters getting there asses beat didn't have much air time in the news. Now that this story is out I hope it gives a more well rounded view of the character of those people.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Been to Egypt when it was in a time of relative Peace and Safety.

St Darwin was in action again...

She was damn lucky to get out of that area with here Life.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    It is very sad and my prayers go out to Ms. Logan and her family no one deserves that. I think many reporters are victims of their own ego and fall victim to living in a world of "spin" and not reality. I have heard it said that due to the loathing major media shows .mil and contractors that most security details are as in this case "locals" and as happend to Ms. Logan her security at best ran like rabbits and may even have been active party to it. Bash the good guys, tarnish the proffessionals, at the end of the day who is going to watch your 6?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think many reporters are victims of their own ego and fall victim to living in a world of "spin" and not reality. I have heard it said that due to the loathing major media shows .mil and contractors that most security details are as in this case "locals" and as happend to Ms. Logan her security at best ran like rabbits and may even have been active party to it. Bash the good guys, tarnish the proffessionals, at the end of the day who is going to watch your 6?

Some Reporters are really, really COOL People. Like the FOX crew that embedded with my Platoon in '03, they tied in with us after day 55 in Country found out we had not received any Mail or had the chance to call home they coughed up their Sat Phones for my Boys to call home on. Not all would...
    Some are asshats at the best of times. Some are lower than the scum that they interview.

As far as the Military or Contractors Loathing them. Not really. Most of the Media Outlets prefer to use "local security contractors" for a couple of reasons. The tend to think that a guy with a Gun is the Same as someone who truly knows how to use that Weapon...
    They also feel it will allow them to get to the places were the "story" is happening. Could be true. But, is your life really worth it?!

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Easy on the criticism. She chose to be a reporter, and she chose to risk her life to do her job. Her job is an important one. The fact that so many screw up that job with bias doesn't diminish the importance of the job.

Regardless of the risk, using force on someone is wrong, whether it happens here or in Egypt. Freedom of speech is a right all humans are born with, even if thugs in some societies have taken that freedom.

What happened to her is wrong, and the fact that she should have known how likely it was that something like that should happen doesn't change that it was wrong.

Journalists are akin to soldiers in their defense of freedom. Are soldiers stupid to attack a position where they are very likely to be killed? What if the war is unjust, or the officer who orders the attack is incompetent and making a huge mistake? Are they stupid to follow those orders? No, we don't call them stupid, we call them brave and we call the outcome tragic.

The same applies to reporters who "stupidly" put themselves in positions to report important events.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In any country it is an outrage, agreed. But also, in any country, even the good ol' US, the human animal is a vain, vicious, disgusting creature prone to the swaying of a crowd of other man-animals. Deprive Johnny Fatbelly of his favorite treat-food, watch even the most ardently civil man become a ferocious and despicable animal.

In mobs, riots and other situations that can only be described by theorhetical sociology, there is no such thing as morality or a limit to the outrageous.

Darwinism plays a strong role. While I agree that it's bad to say she was asking for it, I will strongly disagree with your approach that our morality is lacking due to someone else's ignorance of the environment around her and the disgusting crowd that is overstimulated and angry. Morality is subjective and only a buzzword in the face of human incivility. Face the beast, face the consequences.

In my journalism classes, far from the hallowed halls of church and philosophy, they taught us the simple, basic message: Expect the worst, keep your eyes open and hope for the best in the worst situations. That was beat into us. Those who stray too close to the celebration/tempest of human events have to face the consequences of their actions if they misstep and fall headfirst in...

I wasn't speaking to the morality of the crowd, but to our morality here in the states.

Morals are absolutes. If they are negotiable, then they are ethics.

It is immoral to rape someone, regardless of their circumstances, at least in this country. That is why I was a little disappointed at the responses in this thread. That is all.

Maybe it's just unethical to rape someone, unless they put themselves into a dangerous sitaution where rape is highly probable. I dunno...:dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I wasn't speaking to the morality of the crowd, but to our morality here in the states.

Morals are absolutes. If they are negotiable, then they are ethics.

It is immoral to rape someone, regardless of their circumstances, at least in this country. That is why I was a little disappointed at the responses in this thread. That is all.

Maybe it's just unethical to rape someone, unless they put themselves into a dangerous sitaution where rape is highly probable. I dunno...:dunno:

Then what is the "moral" action to be taken here? Write congress and tell them we want justice? LOTS of reporters have been killed, persecuted, raped, robbed, etc... over their jobs. They accept that risk. To expect me to be "moral" in discussing WHY she chose to be so close to a powder keg of anger is moot.

44 reporters were killed in 2010. Why not the outrage at that? No, they get a 5 minute blurb, nothing on INGO, then move on. MAYBE a few are covered if killed in Afghanistan. No, the press has their claws into a PR goldmine with this lady and expects to rile us up over "morality".

"Morality" has killed people, marched millions to death in wars over petty squabbles, has killed doctors at clinics at the hands of zealot nutjobs, soaks us for millions of dollars to run their businesses and choke us in exercising our rights because they don't believe in them. I refuse to join in any "moral" crusade because the world is founded solely on hate, anger and corruption. Use of morals is nothing more than a scheme to fleece.

Morality and Darwinism have two separate places in the world. I feel for the lady, I really do. But to question my "morality" for not tearing my shirt up in the city square, dunk myself in gasoline and light my self asunder out of moral outrage for this act, I cannot help anyone with that. :twocents: I agree with your point, but I stop at the extent of questioning other's "moral" fibre because we aren't siding with her foolish choice 100%.

Top Bottom