Rent Moratorium, any of you stuck with deadbeats?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    That was an entertaining read, but it seems like you think I said something bad about immigrants? I said something bad about s-bags. I've seen 'em in all colors.

I've had good landlords, I've had bad ones, and a few in the middle. I have developed a pretty strict non-contact policy when it comes to them. I pay my rent at least 10 days early every month, I keep the grass mowed and the thrash picked up, I'm quiet as a mouse (just not a Churchmouse ;) ) and I typically fix anything under $50 and say nothing about it. I assume from day 1 that my security deposit is gone and otherwise I try to go about my affairs as I please.

Mostly what I've learned over the last 20-ish years is that I'm done with neighborhoods. I can't afford to buy enough property to be out of a neighborhood yet, so I rent for the time being...

Nope, not at all, just MY story with rentals.
    I didn't mean to offend you in the slightest.

Pointing out rentals are tuff at best and grinding drag down at worst.

I have no idea if you are pink, brown, green with purple polka-dots,
    Just pointing out there is a renter pool that did right by me!

I don't pay for lightbulbs, plunge toilets at 3AM when it was the renter's fault, etc.
    Carpet gets thread bare, I'll replace it, renter damages or doesn't clean the carpet, that's on them.
    It's a common sense thing...

You sound like a good renter, low maintenance so high value!
    Personally, I reward my high value renters that want to keep the place up!
    MUCH better value in the long run :)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Nope, not at all, just MY story with rentals.
    I didn't mean to offend you in the slightest.

Pointing out rentals are tuff at best and grinding drag down at worst.

I have no idea if you are pink, brown, green with purple polka-dots,
    Just pointing out there is a renter pool that did right by me!

I don't pay for lightbulbs, plunge toilets at 3AM when it was the renter's fault, etc.
    Carpet gets thread bare, I'll replace it, renter damages or doesn't clean the carpet, that's on them.
    It's a common sense thing...

You sound like a good renter, low maintenance so high value!
    Personally, I reward my high value renters that want to keep the place up!
    MUCH better value in the long run :)

I think in general my landlord is rewarding me. They know I'm a single adult in a 3 bedroom house, they know my salary and credit score, and I maintain basically 0 contact. In exchange, they have never raised the rent in 4 years and I already pay less than it would cost to pay a mortgage on this place.

I imagine once the evictions are in full swing again, my rent will be increasing. I'm sure that right now they want to keep the people who pay their rent paying the rent.

One thing they do that really pisses me off is they have "inspections" every 6 months. The last one they did they had their automated system email me about... except it didn't email me. That inspector just about got shot when the door suddenly opened without me knowing why. I've offered them any additional amount of security deposit that will make them comfortable enough to leave me alone until I move out, but to my surprise they declined that offer.

Anyhow...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I think in general my landlord is rewarding me. They know I'm a single adult in a 3 bedroom house, they know my salary and credit score, and I maintain basically 0 contact. In exchange, they have never raised the rent in 4 years and I already pay less than it would cost to pay a mortgage on this place.

I imagine once the evictions are in full swing again, my rent will be increasing. I'm sure that right now they want to keep the people who pay their rent paying the rent.

One thing they do that really pisses me off is they have "inspections" every 6 months. The last one they did they had their automated system email me about... except it didn't email me. That inspector just about got shot when the door suddenly opened without me knowing why. I've offered them any additional amount of security deposit that will make them comfortable enough to leave me alone until I move out, but to my surprise they declined that offer.

Anyhow...

I have 6 month pest control visits, and the pest control guy lets me know what he sees...
    I'm active on pest control, roaches are 99% easier to prevent than to get rid of, so every 6 months 15 minutes per residence keeps the crawlies away...

Like I said, I'm not a slum lord.
    WHAT you do is your business, I don't care if you reload, as long as you do it safely (no more than 8 pounds of powder per local fire department regulations),
    I don't care if you run a business as long as your incoming product doesn't import pests,
    I don't care if you are building a vehicle as long as it's not plugging up a parking space that isn't yours...

My job is maintaining the property, so denying the bug guy is a big red flag!
    Any renter with an IQ above oat meal should encourage keeping pests out!

The three garbage bags of sex toys left behind in one house was gross, but it wasn't my business until I had to throw them out...
    (That's a story all in its own! ;) )

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have 6 month pest control visits, and the pest control guy lets me know what he sees...
    I'm active on pest control, roaches are 99% easier to prevent than to get rid of, so every 6 months 15 minutes per residence keeps the crawlies away...

Like I said, I'm not a slum lord.
    WHAT you do is your business, I don't care if you reload, as long as you do it safely (no more than 8 pounds of powder per national fire department regulations),
    I don't care if you run a business as long as your incoming product doesn't import pests,
    I don't care if you are building a vehicle as long as it's not plugging up a parking space that isn't yours...

My job is maintaining the property, so denying the bug guy is a big red flag!
    Any renter with an IQ above oat meal should encourage keeping pests out!

The three garbage bags of sex toys left behind in one house was gross, but it wasn't my business until I had to throw them out...
    (That's a story all in its own! ;) )

Pest control is expressly my responsibility as spelled out in the lease. I think that's a weird policy because I really don't care if their house has termites, but, whatever.

Anyhow, these guys just want to come into the house and snoop. The last guy that did it even commented some BS about a bookshelf I have in front of a window being a fire code violation. Yeah, it would be a fire code violation if YOU did it, not me... and it's not lagged into the floor or anything.

Flat out, strangers don't need to come in and see my gun safe (which, lucky for me, they never looked in the master walk-in closet so they haven't)... observe a nice TV... a garage full of tools with a collector car in it... etc... etc... This is a property management company, not Jim Bob has a few rental properties and is checking up on them. It could be any rando off of the street they hire for $10 and hour and send in here with a clip board. I hate it.

I will pay more money (and have offered) for them not to do it, but they don't want the money.

This is the only landlord I've ever had that did this nonsense and I've had 4 of them over the years now.

Anyhow... This is all way off topic, but entertaining to read all of the angles.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Pest control is expressly my responsibility as spelled out in the lease. I think that's a weird policy because I really don't care if their house has termites, but, whatever.

Anyhow, these guys just want to come into the house and snoop. The last guy that did it even commented some BS about a bookshelf I have in front of a window being a fire code violation. Yeah, it would be a fire code violation if YOU did it, not me... and it's not lagged into the floor or anything.

Flat out, strangers don't need to come in and see my gun safe (which, lucky for me, they never looked in the master walk-in closet so they haven't)... observe a nice TV... a garage full of tools with a collector car in it... etc... etc... This is a property management company, not Jim Bob has a few rental properties and is checking up on them. It could be any rando off of the street they hire for $10 and hour and send in here with a clip board. I hate it.

I will pay more money (and have offered) for them not to do it, but they don't want the money.

This is the only landlord I've ever had that did this nonsense and I've had 4 of them over the years now.

Anyhow... This is all way off topic, but entertaining to read all of the angles.

No kidding! :)

We give 1 month notices (stuck to doors) and a reminder 24 hours before.
    Plenty of time to get things put away you don't want everybody to know about.

In the case of the bug guy, he's bonded and has been doing business here for 35 years, so there is that.

Now he would know about your gun safe (but wouldn't care) since closets get the bug dope along with cabinets & base boards.

Unless you were hiding a Germanic cockroach in that safe, no business of his.
    Food scraps thrown into the closet, his/my business...

Like I said, one woman had closets, spare bedrooms full of sex toys, never heard a word about it,
    Didn't get that surprise until she moved out and left a bunch behind (yuck).

I'm anti-illegal, but if it's legal I don't much care and I've let him know my feelings.
    Leave your coke mirror, scales, bong, dope laying around, and eviction will come swiftly.
    I'm sure you can understand that...

Leave your gun magazines, targets, gun safe laying around, it's no business of mine or his,
    Pipe bombs on the other hand...
    Immediate phone call to police on something like that.

We have gone back & forth about body cams, he's in favor, I think it's an invasion of privacy...
    I'm not the one that might be in a dwelling with single women or underage children, so I see his point. It's a crazy world...

FIRE & HEALTH regulations for rentals (opposed to owning the dwelling) are just that, regulations and laws.
    I don't have control of those regulations & laws.
    I had one renter complain he couldn't get water damage insurance because the home had fire sprinklers.
    Thanks that up with the insurance company, no one has ever died in a sprinkler equipped home, so take that for what it's worth.

I have sprinklers in my custom home, but I took steps to minimize the water damage.
    No drywall, concrete floors with drains, no carpets (cleanable rugs), minimized flammables, common sense stuff if you plan sprinklers.

Common sense seems to be packing these days...

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    No kidding! :)

We give 1 month notices (stuck to doors) and a reminder 24 hours before.
    Plenty of time to get things put away you don't want everybody to know about.

In the case of the bug guy, he's bonded and has been doing business here for 35 years, so there is that.

Now he would know about your gun safe (but wouldn't care) since closets get the bug dope along with cabinets & base boards.

Unless you were hiding a Germanic cockroach in that safe, no business of his.
    Food scraps thrown into the closet, his/my business...

Like I said, one woman had closets, spare bedrooms full of sex toys, never heard a word about it,
    Didn't get that surprise until she moved out and left a bunch behind (yuck).

I'm anti-illegal, but if it's legal I don't much care and I've let him know my feelings.
    Leave your coke mirror, scales, bong, dope laying around, and eviction will come swiftly.
    I'm sure you can understand that...

Leave your gun magazines, targets, gun safe laying around, it's no business of mine or his,
    Pipe bombs on the other hand...
    Immediate phone call to police on something like that.

We have gone back & forth about body cams, he's in favor, I think it's an invasion of privacy...
    I'm not the one that might be in a dwelling with single women or underage children, so I see his point. It's a crazy world...

It's kinda hard to "put away" an approaching 6 digit value in tools and the guy inspecting the place is probably a day laborer in his usual life that would know where to get rid of them.

Anyhow. It's worked out, but it's ridiculous. At one point I offered them a 3x security deposit (so... ~$3500) to just FO and leave me alone.

They can come look at the outside any time they want. If they smell meth or all the windows are broken out, then I guess then we'll have a problem. So far, no meth, no broken windows, etc.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It's kinda hard to "put away" an approaching 6 digit value in tools and the guy inspecting the place is probably a day laborer in his usual life that would know where to get rid of them.

Anyhow. It's worked out, but it's ridiculous. At one point I offered them a 3x security deposit (so... ~$3500) to just FO and leave me alone.

They can come look at the outside any time they want. If they smell meth or all the windows are broken out, then I guess then we'll have a problem. So far, no meth, no broken windows, etc.

I can't tell you how everyone else does it, I use bonded bug guy, and it will either be him or me wanting in.

Again, I think it goes back to 'Slum Lord' using shady people, which I won't.

If *I* knew you had several thousand in guns, tools, you would get high security doors and extra locks.

I already use steel security doors, but not always the HEAVY HIGH security doors,
    And I don't use the $9.99 lock sets from Wally-World to begin with,
    And I don't recycle lock sets when someone leaves.
    Again, common sense.
    Steel security doors live MUCH longer than the common entry doors, so MUCH less complaints/replacements,
    And they are only about $30 more expensive.

A working man with tools can't pay the rent if those tools get stolen, so the door/locks are a small perk for being a good renter, I don't have issues with that.

Again, can't say what other property owners would do...

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Correction:
    The rent moratorium came under the Trump administration,
    Passed by both sides and both houses of Congress.
    It's not a 'Biden' thing.

Left wing, Right wing, same bird.

Wasting time whining after the fact, trying to fix the blame instead of fixing the problem doubles the stress...

---------
    You are correct for the first one, the latest one is all Biden. The CDC instituted it, not the legislature. And it most likely will be thrown out when if/when it gets to SCOTUS.
    WHAT you do is your business, I don't care if you reload, as long as you do it safely (no more than 8 pounds of powder per local fire department regulations),
    That local FD regulation is against state law and unenforceable.

See IC 35-47-11.1

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    As I understand it, and I researched manufacturing ammo, used a lawyer specific to that field,

Locally, the ordnance was based on...
    FEDERAL LAW requires proper storage of firearms propellant, explosives (primers) and loaded ammunition,

AND, an apartment/home doesn't typically allow for the construction of approved explosive or propellant magazines.

BATFE overlooks up to 8 pounds in residential settings.

Don't mix agencies,
    For MANUFACTURE anything above 5 pounds requires proper storage, and APPROVED blast shielding when in use.

I personally don't care,
    I'm not going to fight city hall, the date or feds for a renter...
    That's not what I signed up for.

The locals say 8 pounds is the limit, that's my limit by default.
    Since an idiot let his house catch fire with about 300 pounds in it, injured some fire fighters, the locals went a little nuts...
    OK by me, I don't live in city limits.

I passed on loaded ammo for two reasons,
    1. BATFE/Federal/State oversight, regulations and INSURANCE were prohibitively expensive,
    2. Profit margin was much higher on brass/projectile manufacturing without the oversight, insurance & licences.
    About zero liability with projectiles & brass, which is why so many Fly-By-Night recyclers are out there.

YOU want to charge windmills, be my guest, let me know how that turns out for you.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I thought it wasn't even possible to evict them, but I could be wrong.

The "lease" my wife has with this scum is a verbal month to month.
    He had a reputation of being a deadbeat renter before she rented to him.
    I WARNED her to not rent to this loser, but she ignored me.

Now deadbeat is telling my wife that she needs to have a written lease with him, that locks him in to a term of time.

I told her no way she should forfeit her 30 day notice month to month.
    Two words... LAW YER she needs to get with a lawyer now, one that is very familiar with property management and leasing.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As I understand it, and I researched manufacturing ammo, used a lawyer specific to that field,

Locally, the ordnance was based on...
    FEDERAL LAW requires proper storage of firearms propellant, explosives (primers) and loaded ammunition,

AND, an apartment/home doesn't typically allow for the construction of approved explosive or propellant magazines.

BATFE overlooks up to 8 pounds in residential settings.

Don't mix agencies,
    For MANUFACTURE anything above 5 pounds requires proper storage, and APPROVED blast shielding when in use.

I personally don't care,
    I'm not going to fight city hall, the date or feds for a renter...
    That's not what I signed up for.

The locals say 8 pounds is the limit, that's my limit by default.
    Since an idiot let his house catch fire with about 300 pounds in it, injured some fire fighters, the locals went a little nuts...
    OK by me, I don't live in city limits.
    I'm gonna need a cite for those, especially since the BATFE states on their website.

Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption. Smokeless powder designed for use other than in small arms ammunition, and explosive products such as squibs, fireworks, theatrical special effects, or other articles that may contain smokeless powders, are regulated and must be stored pursuant to the regulations at 27 CFR 555, Subpart K – Storage.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm gonna need a cite for those, especially since the BATFE states on their website.

Smokeless powders designed for use in small arms ammunition are exempt from regulation under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 555. Packaging that readily identifies the smokeless powder as being designed for use in small arms ammunition may help in determining whether it is entitled to the exemption. Smokeless powder designed for use other than in small arms ammunition, and explosive products such as squibs, fireworks, theatrical special effects, or other articles that may contain smokeless powders, are regulated and must be stored pursuant to the regulations at 27 CFR 555, Subpart K – Storage.

Sure.
    Try that argument when the federal inspectors come around...

Why do you think ALL the manufacturers have powder magazines?
    Then there is OSHA, as in blast shields etc...

You can quote all you want, I want to see you ACTUALLY DO IT.
    There are talkers and there are doers,
    It's like the guys arguing about solar power when they don't actually have any dog in the fight... Just wasting others time.

-----------

And AGAIN, you missed the point entirely.

I'm NOT going to fight local, state or federal regulations for a renter.
    That's giving money I worked very hard for away with zero benefit.

8 pounds is local ordnance on my PRIVATELY OWNED LAND (rentals),
    8 pounds is my limit backed by local codes, so I'm legally covered,
    Renters agree to the lease that limits to 8 pounds, so it's voluntarily by the renter,
    And that alone is reason to break lease and evict them...

I don't much care what anyone else does since they aren't paying my bills.

Clear enough this time?

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sure.
    Try that argument when the federal inspectors come around...

Why do you think ALL the manufacturers have powder magazines?
    Then there is OSHA, as in blast shields etc...

You can quote all you want, I want to see you ACTUALLY DO IT.
    There are talkers and there are doers,
    It's like the guys arguing about solar power when they don't actually have any dog in the fight... Just wasting others time.

-----------

And AGAIN, you missed the point entirely.

I'm NOT going to fight local, state or federal regulations for a renter.
    That's giving money I worked very hard for away with zero benefit.

8 pounds is local ordnance on my PRIVATELY OWNED LAND (rentals),
    8 pounds is my limit backed by local codes, so I'm legally covered,
    Renters agree to the lease that limits to 8 pounds, so it's voluntarily by the renter,
    And that alone is reason to break lease and evict them...

I don't much care what anyone else does since they aren't paying my bills.

Clear enough this time?
    You keep referencing manufacturers. A home reloader isn't a manufacturer unless they are selling it. And even then maybe or maybe not. And OSHA doesn't mean squat for work I'm doing for myself in my home.

And I'm going to guess you can't back up what you say, since you never seem to do it.

And I'm calling BS that you have powder limits in your lease(s).

All I did was point out that that local regulation is null and void and unenforceable under state law. And provided cites. Something you seem unable to do.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You are correct for the first one, the latest one is all Biden. The CDC instituted it, not the legislature. And it most likely will be thrown out when if/when it gets to SCOTUS.

That local FD regulation is against state law and unenforceable.

See IC 35-47-11.1
    It made it to the USSC. Kavanuagh was a dufus and said it was illegal, but since it was going to expire he would not vote to end it. Biden then had the CDC extend it, and here we are.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    You keep referencing manufacturers. A home reloader isn't a manufacturer unless they are selling it. And even then maybe or maybe not. And OSHA doesn't mean squat for work I'm doing for myself in my home.

And I'm going to guess you can't back up what you say, since you never seem to do it.

And I'm calling BS that you have powder limits in your lease(s).

All I did was point out that that local regulation is null and void and unenforceable under state law. And provided cites. Something you seem unable to do.
    And there you go again thinking I care...

Yes, it's in the lease under following all applicable laws & regulations of the city or it being a lease breaker.

Keeps garbage bags from piling up, yards mowed, no meth cooking, legal reason for immediate termination & eviction proceedings.
    Same reason any reasonable land lord has the same in their boiler plate lease.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It made it to the USSC. Kavanuagh was a dufus and said it was illegal, but since it was going to expire he would not vote to end it. Biden then had the CDC extend it, and here we are.
    That is correct. I should have been a bit more specific as in if/when it makes it to SCOTUS again.

And there you go again thinking I care...

Yes, it's in the lease under following all applicable laws & regulations of the city or it being a lease breaker.

Keeps garbage bags from piling up, yards mowed, no meth cooking, legal reason for immediate termination & eviction proceedings.
    Same reason any reasonable land lord has the same in their boiler plate lease.
    Except that regulation is unlawful, therefore not applicable. If your city had a regulation that blacks weren't allowed in town after sundown and one of your tenants had a black friend over after that time, that clause in your lease would not protect you. Same thing.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Anybody on here stuck with a deadbeat renter who now refuses to pay rent because Comrade Biden's Rent Moratorium says they don't have to?
    HOW are you dealing with this nonsense?

My wife owns a rental property, and was just told today by her tenant that he doesn't have to pay rent, so he won't be paying rent.
    And I also understand that they can't be evicted either.
    I assume the house has A/C. Generally, when it stops working your deadbeat problem goes away. Just saying.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I assume the house has A/C. Generally, when it stops working your deadbeat problem goes away. Just saying.

My personal fear with stuff like that is that they would just start tearing stuff up when you tell them to get bent when they want you to fix it. The type of person who just decides to stop paying the rent isn't concerned about the size of the civil judgement against them when it's over, so no reason not rip every wall out of the joint.

I'd guess that all of these dirt bags are going to end up changing states to avoid wage garnishments when this is all said and done, or just declaring bankruptcy if they can.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My personal fear with stuff like that is that they would just start tearing stuff up when you tell them to get bent when they want you to fix it. The type of person who just decides to stop paying the rent isn't concerned about the size of the civil judgement against them when it's over, so no reason not rip every wall out of the joint.

I'd guess that all of these dirt bags are going to end up changing states to avoid wage garnishments when this is all said and done, or just declaring bankruptcy if they can.
    This is why every landlord should make sure and get/verify social security numbers for everyone on the lease. If you have a civil judgement you can garnish their tax returns. And I'm going to guess that quite a few of the deadbeats get a tax return every year in the form of refundable tax credits. Doesn't help in the short term, but may in the long.

Top Bottom