• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I have a finger print appointment set in a couple weeks at the Brownsburg Police Department. If I show up 30 min early for that appointment do you think they will get me in faster, or is it going to be at my exact appointment time, or am I going to be waiting for a while after my appointment time? Trying to squeeze it in during a work trip, so looking to be in and out if possible.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have a finger print appointment set in a couple weeks at the Brownsburg Police Department. If I show up 30 min early for that appointment do you think they will get me in faster, or is it going to be at my exact appointment time, or am I going to be waiting for a while after my appointment time? Trying to squeeze it in during a work trip, so looking to be in and out if possible.
    Call and ask them.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Do you have places that can scan your fingerprint? Was not sure if that was an option in Indiana.
    Unfortunately the LifeTime is going away.

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    Do you have places that can scan your fingerprint? Was not sure if that was an option in Indiana.
    Unfortunately the LifeTime is going away.
    No idea, just moved here. The state website gave me a list of places that would do it and let me schedule an appointment. There were a lot of options that weren't police departments and didn't seem like state agencies. But if this state is anything like the other 3 states I've lived in that appointment will mean nothing.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No idea, just moved here. The state website gave me a list of places that would do it and let me schedule an appointment. There were a lot of options that weren't police departments and didn't seem like state agencies. But if this state is anything like the other 3 states I've lived in that appointment will mean nothing.
    The fingerprinting can be done by entities other than Police/State/etc. When the 5 year LTCH went free in 2020 (you can have a concurrent Lifetime and 5 year, so I have two Indiana LTCH) I got my fingerprints done on the southside of Indy at a place that also did drug testing. That was a hoot.

Never hurts to get to an appointment early, but a lot depends on what the set-up is at the department. When my wife got her fingerprints at the Hendricks County Sheriff's Department the fingerprint person was also the "pay me to get your car out of impound" person.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I got fingerprints done at a private place and got an email from the police shortly after, so I went into the police station and did the rest of the application. Can I still carry on my old states HCP even though my DL is Indiana?

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    I got fingerprints done at a private place and got an email from the police shortly after, so I went into the police station and did the rest of the application. Can I still carry on my old states HCP even though my DL is Indiana?
    I'm using my PA permit until IN comes in, from what I understand as long as it is recognized by IN you're good to go.

Edit: not good to go…

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I'm using my PA permit until IN comes in, from what I understand as long as it is recognized by IN you're good to go.
    Short answer no. Slightly longer answer, IN honors all other permits/licenses as long as the holder is not an IN resident.
    And citation.

IC 35-47-2-21Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    How big of a hassle is it to renew/apply for a permit in Marion county? I need to renew and my wife wants to apply (finally). I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to make it go smoother.
    I laugh because I started my application process August 4, 2021. Had to wait until Feb 2nd to visit the local office. Got an email of that telling me to expect my card within 60 days. That's the current wait. About 6 months or more. Since then I have filled out many 4473s and walked out with firearms in 15 minutes or less yet I can't carry them. I have been baffled by this entire process.

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    My Virginia permit voided once I got my Indiana license. Had I known how much of a dumb delayed process this would have been I would have kept my Virginia DL until things settle with the delay. Let's hope the constitutional carry bill gets some more ground and passed based on what just came out today.

mrobison90

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Still waiting for ISP approval here. In total 7 months next week. 24 days since my local prints. Bought a gun today at Indiana Firearms. Took me 5 minutes total. Walked out with my new gun that I can't carry to defend myself. Smh

Kelly is on wibc right now.
    I applied in December, 7 weeks later received pink card in mail. From ISP

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    Well well well...here's my latest and final update. Saw I was receiving a piece of mail from ISP today so I checked my permit status.

Applied - August 5th, 2021
    Fingerprints - August 6th
    6 months to get a local appointment - done February 2nd.
    LTHC received March 30, 2022

If you're a Marion County resident applying, welcome to the hell of permit processes.
    Almost 8 months total. Absolutely absurd

Attachments

• 05381DB0-C84D-4F06-9346-A0714CACDA42.jpeg
      05381DB0-C84D-4F06-9346-A0714CACDA42.jpeg
      84.3 KB · Views: 5

cmdrken1

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 28, 2023
    Saint John
    It seems like this process has completely changed and I just moved to Indiana last month. I have an Indiana DL and home residence in Indiana. Where do I start in 2023 to get the lifetime permit that the other states recognize?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It seems like this process has completely changed and I just moved to Indiana last month. I have an Indiana DL and home residence in Indiana. Where do I start in 2023 to get the lifetime permit that the other states recognize?
    Type Indiana state police handgun license into your favorite search engine and you should find it

Top Bottom