• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwhitaker45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Oh God. Thats embarrassing.

Speaking on behalf of other remington products... they are a quality company. The 700 is hands down the best out of the box precision rifle money can buy IMO (in any caliber). The R1 is definitely a quality 1911. Heck, even their AR15 is a very good product... but goodness, the new r51 is awful.

Too bad all the 700's with the XMp trigger just got recalled.... Meaning mine.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    "Sucks Lately" kinda harsh

Ok the R51 was an answer to a question nobody asked.
    The 700 line of rifles is a standard and EVERY one I've picked up including bought and shot shoots very well for an out of the box rifle.
    The 870 is still an industry standard, Remington needs to be carefull not to "walmart' it down to a Mossburk 5hunnert
    the versamax is rock solid
    the 1911 is a solid 1911 and people who have them like them
    Maybe they were smart enough to see the r51 wasn't' getting received so they decided to pull back and regroup.
    You clearly haven't bought an express model lately with the freedom group treatment.
    Give me a 500 any day.
    There was a day when Remington made high quality products at reasonable prices. The 870 and 1100 are shotgun legends, the 700 series rifles were amazing, and even the early 7400 a semi auto dream.
    Unfortunately cost cutting and money save became the mantra, and quality was replaced by price. The 11-87 was case in point being so bad that they brought back the cancelled 1100.

The R51 could have been a nice pocket pistol if they maintained the old standards, but somewhere cost over road quality again and the final product was nothing like what Mr Pedersen had designed.
    A shame from my point of view as the ones I looked at fit my hand very nicely. Too bad no two had the same trigger or slide feel.

x10 - I'll take a mini-step in your direction and tip my hat to Remington for the versamax and their 1911. I stand by my statement that their QC sucks lately, and you can have a different opinion. I was talking more specifically about their QC on the brands they've bought out - for example, I will NOT buy a newly manufactured Marlin. Even QC control on the legendary 700 has gone downhill lately (with perhaps the exception of the +$1000 models). Hell, even the Bushmaster name doesn't mean as much anymore.
    My 2 cents.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    "Sucks Lately" kinda harsh

Ok the R51 was an answer to a question nobody asked.

Yep, bet they spent so much to try to make us think otherwise...

The 700 line of rifles is a standard and EVERY one I've picked up including bought and shot shoots very well for an out of the box rifle.

Yeah, the X-Mark Pro... Nuff said.

The 870 is still an industry standard, Remington needs to be carefull not to "walmart' it down to a Mossburk 5hunnert

Urgh. They have consistently gotten more finicky and felt cheaper year by year. The express is all but a wash at this point.

the versamax is rock solid

The one or two?

the 1911 is a solid 1911 and people who have them like them

Never shot one.

Maybe they were smart enough to see the r51 wasn't' getting received so they decided to pull back and regroup.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    There is no comparison between my 1994 Express and 2012 Express. Remington makes a quality AR?? Hardly. Seems the way a lot of gun manufacturer's/companies are going these days to lesser QC to improve their bottom line to increase profit. Sig and Kimber are other examples of this way of thinking(thanks Ron).

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I was checking out the R51 waiting for a free shirt at the NRAAM. The slide function was gritty, and the trigger reset at an angle. Literally. Pull straight back, and then rack the slide with the trigger depressed and the trigger always went forward and to the right. Definitely not a positive note for accuracy. REALLY glad to see them pull it.

jwhitaker45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Damn for real? What for? I was looking forward to shooting that bad girl soon!

i am checking on the repair status currently, but as stated it was an excess bonding agent. Making the trigger go boom when it shouldn't. When it gets back though I will have some goodies to add. From Huntertown Arms, Leupold, and Harris.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Evidently it wasnt just the XM Pro. My rifle was under that recall, and it had the cheaper version (plain XM trigger). Im not sure what their deal is, but everything I have had experience with that has Remington's name attached to it lately has been everything I have expected. My newish 700, my dad has 2 fairly new 700s, and an 870. I even have a newer Marlin that was produced under Remington management, and all of them have been just fine, if not beyond what we could expect of them. Perhaps I have just been lucky so far, or others have been unlucky.

I was actually thinking about checking out the R51, guess that idea has been scrapped for me, lol

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Was the gun a entire new design or just a tweak of the old R51? I don't understand how they could take a proven design and not be able to build it again

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Another great firearm manufacturer makes a complete dud......and this time no didn't buy one!

Dad and I bought a Colt All American 2000 in the 90's. All my hard earned lawn mowing money down the drain.

But they ARE somewhat collectable now!

You beat me to it. I was going to say they'll park this one in the drawer with the Colt All American 2000. Every now and then, firearms companies put out product they wish they hadn't.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I really wanted to like it. I like the retro-futuristic pew-pew look. The price was going to be right when they first announced it. Single stack 9mm are selling like bell bottoms at a hippie convention. I never intended to get one to carry, but thought it would be neat to have if it worked as advertised. Obviously it didn't.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I really wanted to like it. I like the retro-futuristic pew-pew look. The price was going to be right when they first announced it. Single stack 9mm are selling like bell bottoms at a hippie convention. I never intended to get one to carry, but thought it would be neat to have if it worked as advertised. Obviously it didn't.

I think it would actually be neat to have a booth of r51's at a hippie convention.

Top Bottom