• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I thought it was a slick look, good for drawing and holstering, pocket carry; wanted to check it out when I first saw it. Then I saw it was... huge (nearly as big as a full up 1911), and found out pretty much everything about the action ranged from unpleasant to suck. Very disappointed, hope they didn't lose too much money on it. I do have an R1 which is sweet. I do think they need to invest their money in infrastructure rather than chasing after chimeras.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    "they are a quality company. The 700 is hands down the best out of the box precision rifle money can buy IMO (in any caliber). The R1 is definitely a quality 1911. Heck, even their AR15 is a very good product..."

Im glad that you think so but this has not been my experience. Complete lack of quality control along ALL of their product lines and they arent trying to fix it either.

I am a benefit of the doubt kind of guy...but getting burned THREE TIMES IN A ROW(three GUNS in a row) was enough for me.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    It always amazes me the power of INGO.

I searched for more stories/news on this development. The only place its being talked about is here on INGO.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    How were you "burned" on 3 guns in a row? Please elaborate?? Model, what went wrong, etc.?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/337761-remington-has-lost-my-business-forever.html

1: 870 express magnum 12ga: chokes on low brass, double feeds, bent carrier out of the box.
    2: 700 SPS Tactical: throat machined too shallow thus setting back unfired bullets. Left bullet stuck in rifling upon extraction.
    3 Marlin 1895g: Sights canted from the factory....sent in and "repaired"...once returned it had a 10 inch scratch on the barrel and sights still are not straight. They said they "re-indexed" the barrel...headspace?....I put skinner sights on it.

All these guns were purchased by me, new in box....all within 5 years of each other.

-Never again....remington is pure crap...from here on out its savage, ruger, mossberg, cz, or howa....too bad my OLD 870 wingmaster is perfect or Id just sell em all.

God bless
    -Shred

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Oh God. Thats embarrassing.

Speaking on behalf of other remington products... they are a quality company. The 700 is hands down the best out of the box precision rifle money can buy IMO (in any caliber). The R1 is definitely a quality 1911. Heck, even their AR15 is a very good product... but goodness, the new r51 is awful.

I'm glad you said "IMO". The 700 is NOT hands down the best out of the box precision rifle money can buy. Can you say Tikka, Howa, Sako, or even T/C Venture, just to name a few that will shoot as well or better than most Remington 700s. In My Opinion.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Came to INGO to get the inside scoop after seeing the R51 full page advertisement in my NRA magazine and while glad I found the information, I am very disappointed that the firearm apparently was such a failure. I was looking forward as I personally really liked the looks of the arm and the low bore axis and single stack 9mm looked promising. I can say that after reading here and especially after this video which firsthand shows several failures of all kinds including FTF's, FTE's, firing out of battery, light primer strikes, I will never buy an R51. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzS4sQfn4U

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The gun the R51 was based on was not a simple design. Take a complicated design and inject very loose quality control standards and you will end up with a mess. Which they did.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Massive lulz at all the "slide felt gritty" comments. The slide on a 51 (a real 51 or one of these new things) is going to feel "gritty" when you run it because there's a separate breechblock in there that bangs against a lug in the frame as you run it backwards. There's a separate breechblock in there because when the 51 was designed, Colt's held Browning's U.S. patent on the one-piece slide and breechblock (that's why contemporaneous S&W and Savage autos have separate breechblocks and H&R licensed a Webley design that did not have a slide that encloses the barrel. Firearms history is all about patents.)

Of course, that patent has long expired and there was no reason to revive the more complex design except for gun hipsters on forums whining about "If they'd just make a modern (Remington 51/top-break revolver/Colt 1903/Broomhandle Mauser), I'd buy five!"

Never mind that all those designs were complex and required a lot of hand-fitting, and don't work too well in the age of MIM and "Let The Customer Test It" QC, and so you wind up with debacles like the R51 launch.

I'll still wind up buying one, just because it'll be neat to have next to my original 51s. I may even try firing it someday.

Last edited:

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I'll still wind up buying one, just because it'll be neat to have next to my original 51s. I may even try firing it someday.

This is exactly why companies can get away with making junk. This is why wages are lower too.....this is why there are no or less skilled craftsmen jobs left.
    " Sure...I know its crap...but I will buy it anyway!"...disgusting.

God bless
    -Shred

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    This is exactly why companies can get away with making junk. This is why wages are lower too.....this is why there are no or less skilled craftsmen jobs left.

God bless
    -Shred

I did get an honest chuckle at the "disgusting" immediately followed with "God bless". On Sunday morning, too! Irony is alive and well in 'Merica!, even if the union label isn't. :D

You assume, Sirshredalot, that I will be purchasing a new firearm.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Of course, that patent has long expired and there was no reason to revive the more complex design except for gun hipsters on forums whining about "If they'd just make a modern (Remington 51/top-break revolver/Colt 1903/Broomhandle Mauser), I'd buy five!"

I'd love a new production Broomhandle Mauser :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW.........the proximity of a statement claiming disgust relative to another giving blessings..............offers no proof of contrast, on a Sunday or any other day.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Massive lulz at all the "slide felt gritty" comments. The slide on a 51 (a real 51 or one of these new things) is going to feel "gritty" when you run it because there's a separate breechblock in there that bangs against a lug in the frame as you run it backwards. There's a separate breechblock in there because when the 51 was designed, Colt's held Browning's U.S. patent on the one-piece slide and breechblock (that's why contemporaneous S&W and Savage autos have separate breechblocks and H&R licensed a Webley design that did not have a slide that encloses the barrel. Firearms history is all about patents.)

Never mind that all those designs were complex and required a lot of hand-fitting, and don't work too well in the age of MIM and "Let The Customer Test It" QC, and so you wind up with debacles like the R51 launch.

It wasn't JUST the slide. The trigger felt gritty. It felt as if I had a heavy amount of lapping compound on the rails. The trigger pull AND reset were not consistent. These are not things to look for in any serious firearm, and I'm glad they pulled it from shelves.

Also, I understand "grittiness" as far as unlocking lugs, you should'nt feel that grittiness the entire slide movement fore and aft.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

God bless
    -Shred

If someone is a fan or collector of the original, having the remake would definitely be worth the having in the collection. There's a huge difference between saying 'I know it's crap, but I'm going to buy it and carry it anyway because I just love all that Remington does' and 'It may have issues, but it's part of the design family and deserves a place in a collection'. No need to rude or condescending over someone else's decisions based on your own values.

Top Bottom