• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quick question for the knowledgeable members of this forum. I have an opportunity to purchase a NIB Remington 870P. 18" barrel, parkerized finish, 4 shell magazine and a gold bead site. What is a good price for this firearm?

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    My neighbor has one just like you described in his shop for $629. I paid $700 for my 870P, but it has a Scattergun Tech ghost ring sight and a Remington factory mag tube extenstion that matches the finish on the gun.

Gdogs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I think, for the money, The 870P is over priced when you can get the 870 Express for under $300 for the same capacity. I just don't see a $250 to $300 difference for the Police model.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I think, for the money, The 870P is over priced when you can get the 870 Express for under $300 for the same capacity. I just don't see a $250 to $300 difference for the Police model.

This is what I paid the extra money for and I'm glad I did...

• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list – ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.
    • All Police shotguns are assembled in a “special build area” at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
    • All parts that enter the “special build area” are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
    • Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer
    magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
    • A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.
    • A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
    • Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
    • The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police shotgun vehicle racks.
    • The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.
    • The Express model will not allow for the addition of an extension tube without physical modification to the tube and barrel, which can nullify the warranty.
    • The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.
    • The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a compressed metal housing.
    • The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
    • The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.
    • Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Wow! I knew there were several differences in the 870P vs Express but didn't know they were so many or so comprehensive. Thanks for listing 'em Stu!

Gdogs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    That's good information and I have a few thoughts for discussion. I was familiar with the detent but that is also in the 870 Express with the magazine tube extention. It's one of the reasons I went with the 6 shot Express. I have heard that the Polymer trigger guard is actually better than the aluminum when it comes to impact resistance. I believe that Ruger did some tests at one time to show the effect of a crush point on an aluminum trigger guard vs. the polymer and the Polymer won. Mine didn't come with a lock in the safety, and is also a cross bolt safety, but I am familiar with them. I haven't heard of any issues with the non machined extractors where reliability would be a factor. Not much to break there since it is one piece, or wear since the compressed metal is hard. The Speedfeed forend on my Express is short though, short in that it doesn't overlap the receiver. The stock seems to be rather inexpensive but serviceable. Heavier springs are always a good idea when shooting heavier recoil ammunition but they are available aftermarket. Can't say I am all that excited about the finish on the Express and that vibra hone sounds like it would have smoothed things out better but the action is pretty good and wears in decently.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I bought an 870P with Surefire fore end, Scattergun Technologies 3-shot extension, ATI stock, and 18" smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights from Target Sports for 425 IIRC.

OOOOPS, did not see the OP was an old post. . .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom