• Which 700 do you prefer?

• Total voters

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I want a 223 bolt gun. Narrowed it down to 2 different ones, and trying to decide if I should buy a VTR or SPS Tactical. I have the tactical in a 308 and love it, but the VTR is interesting. Any body have much experience with it?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot both and both are more accurate than I will ever be. Both were enjoyable to shoot and functioned perfect. I would personally go with the SPS. Good luck with your decision.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If you already have a heavy gun the VTR is a bit lighter so therefore a good walking gun.

I have a VTR and a built "SPS"
    my built gun is more accurate but the VTR is really good for a factory gun.

As for internet gun reviews you always have to take them with a grain of salt,

Even my ramblings

Both are good choices you won't be disapointed in either

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    They are both twisted the same, 1 in 9" and 1 in 12" are Remington's 'tactical' twists. As an adjective modifying twist, 'tactical' means they are only a decade behind modern bullets rather than two decades.

For me the VTR offers nothing over the SPS for the roughly $200 upcharge. I don't care much for either stock but the SPS's has roughly the same pattern and build without the pointless venting. The triangle barrel has never impressed me more than many many round barreled alternatives I've shot, and for a non-walking around rifle that will fire long shot strings I'll take more barrel mass per inch over increased surface area every day of the week.

You do have another 2" of barrel with a VTR, but if that velocity difference matters both 223 Rem and 308 Win are the wrong choice anyway.

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    You get less muzzle flip on the VTR but the felt recoil is about the same IMHO. I prefer the SPS because its just as accurate but considerably less expensive. The only real difference is the appearance and the length and weight. I think that either gun is more accurate than the shooter in most cases anyway. If you notice a difference you might consider investing in a custom Kimber.

Last edited:

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    They make barrels heavy on precision rifles in part for rigidity. A circle is a more rigid geometric shape than a triangle. I see no benefits to a VTR other than thinking it looks cool, which I don’t. Also if you feel you get less muzzle flip with the VTR, for the price difference between the two you can thread an SPS, put a compensator on it and have it ready to go for a suppressor. Also the porting on the VTR makes muzzle flash right into your scope view, making follow through or calling shots difficult. I am not a fan of the VTR.

Top Bottom