• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Trying to find out information on this rifle. Went online hunting the manufacture date but I am pretty sure its wrong or I am wrong. It said it was manufactured in 72 which I think is incorrect. The code for the manufacture is CW.

Just trying to figure out the value and if these are good guns. It is a little late now since I already purchased it. I found 0 postings on gunbroker.

Also wondered what the best grain weight bullets to run in this and powder.
    Any info would be helpful.

Thx.
    20160329_215956_zpslsjihv46.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Was looking at getting one of these but I heard you are not to use 5.56 with them, just the 223. Since I have a mixture of both for my ar it seemed like a hassle. Let us know how you like it though

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Was looking at getting one of these but I heard you are not to use 5.56 with them, just the 223. Since I have a mixture of both for my ar it seemed like a hassle. Let us know how you like it though

Find a gunsmith with the Michiguns neck and throat reamer and it takes less than 10 minutes to open up from 223 to 5.56.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    That would be a nice addition (adding 5.56 to the mix).

Sounds more like a bad thing to me?

223 and 556 chambers are meant to be reamed differently, if you ream it out your not going to get the same accuracy with 223 anymore, and the difference in ballistics/cost/everything is so negligible that it would be pointless to do so.

Remington 700 is a great bolt action varmint gun that is going to be a tack driver. Just buy 223 ammo.

If you want a 556 gun sell this and buy an AR.

If you reload then 25.5gr of Varget or 26.5 gr of RE-15 with combination of Hornady 55 gr V-Max, usually yield 0.25 - 0.35" 5 shot groups out of mine SPS Varmint. the heaviest bullet it will stabilize is 64 gr Berger Match Varmint.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The chance your VLSS throat is cut to SAAMI spec is virtually 0%, and the 700 action combined with the VLS barrel profile will happily digest well in excess of 5.56 pressures.

Where did you hear it was not safe to fire 5.56? \

But the last thing I'd care about is how the chamber in a 1-12 twisted 0.224" barrel is cut.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I hadn't really considered the firing of 5.56 until posted here. I don't have any 5.56 and don't know if there are really any advantages to the cartridge. It would be nice if I ran across some that I could fire them. This is going to be a bench gun and probably never see factory ammo. The majority of my reloading is 55gr but I do have some 62gr (have only used BLC-2) for the AR15. I bought this gun used but was never fired. You could tell there was no scratching in the loading area what so ever.

Top Bottom