• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Hello everyone. Just decided to start reloading for my BHP 9mm. The Lee Classic Turret press kit from Kempf's Gunshop is on it's way, as is 1K of 120gr TC cast lead bullets. I a lot of cases saved up over the years (always knew I'd be reloading someday), and now all I need is powder, primers, and a little advice. 1.) Best place in the Indy area to find supplies? 2.) Powder suggestions for starting out. I am affraid I may have to live with whatever I can find on the shelf, but If I have a choice, what should I buy. FWIW, these will be used up rapidly plinking and target shooting in a Browning Hi-Power.

(It's supposed to rain this weekend, so I'd love to spend the day setting up and starting to reload, hence the need for local supply in stock.)

Big thanks in advance!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Check out Plainfield Shooters Supply. They should have powder and primers. Back in the good old days there used to be a place called A to Z reloading and you could buy everything you needed even new brass and bulk bullets and the prices were very cheap. But they have been gone for a while now. You might look at the Outdoorsman on SR 135 in Greenwood. Their prices aren't the greatest but the selection is usually pretty good.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well are you close to Plainfield? Bob does have some powder and primers.
    Gander mtn north and south have a pretty good selection for supplies but you will pay premium prices.
    The outdoorsman in Greenwood also has a pretty good selection.
    Those are the ones in driving distance from me.

As far as powder Titegroup is great for light to medium plinking loads and Power pistol for a little more performance load.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Thank you both for the good information. I went out to Plainfield and got everything I needed (and then some) and good assistance on powder selecton. They only had SM Rifle primers though, but I bought them. Was at Gander yesterday and they had plenty of SM Pistol, but $5 more.

Thanks again for your responses!

TD

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    I understand your timing for this weekend. I too, am in the garage making copious amounts of 9mm on a single stage, seven die Lyman. I can produce about 400 rounds in just a few hours.

However, for the future, I would look on line and shop around. You can still find some pretty good deals. Midway closeouts, Natchez, etc.
    Even if the prices may not be outstanding, you can be more picky about WHAT you purchase and get just what you want, not what there is at Gander Mtn. The only thing I like to purchase around home is powder, and maybe primers, (if they ever have any).

I would be happy to give any advice I can, as I'm sure many other members. The main thing to remember with reloading, IMHO, is 1) Consistency, another 2) Precision, while I'm at it 3) NO DISTRACTIONS. above all- be safe, this venture should be fun, as well as productive, but can be deadly. Good luck, and congrats on the will to be self sufficient in this area of gun ownership.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    Thank you both for the good information. I went out to Plainfield and got everything I needed (and then some) and good assistance on powder selecton. They only had SM Rifle primers though, but I bought them. Was at Gander yesterday and they had plenty of SM Pistol, but $5 more.

TD
    Gander sure does like to gouge. Thier RCBS dies are pretty expensive as well. They are getting pretty greedy in many areas. I think they think they are the "convenient store" for armaments, and expect we will always pay for the privilege.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Gander sure does like to gouge. Thier RCBS dies are pretty expensive as well. They are getting pretty greedy in many areas. I think they think they are the "convenient store" for armaments, and expect we will always pay for the privilege.

I believe you are correct about the Convienience store" concept. Hadn't thought of it that way, but it's no different than buying a soda at Speedway. We're so programmed to just pay the price and move one because it's there and we don't want to go to the trouble of going somewhere else - we pay the premium.

I use GM for emergency purchases when it comes to supplies. Even with shipping most times MidwayUSA, MidSouth Shooter Supplies and some others are cheaper.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

TD

Even though they "can" work, I wouldn't recomend using Rifle primers when reloading semi auto hand gun ammo, especially since you are new to reloading.

I know someone will jump in and say they don't have a problem using Rifle in the place of Pistol primers, but it concerns me to see a newbie start developing a bad habit, (interchanging components without proper knowledge) before he has even produced his first cartridge.

:popcorn:

BTW: If you don't have at least 2 reloading manuals, and the info from the website of the manufacturer of the powder you are using, you need more info before throwing your first powder charge.

Top Bottom