• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I just purchased some 158 gr copper plated bullets. I am new to the reloading process, so forgive my inexperience right now. Currently I am confused by the data found in the Lee second edition reloading manual. I have been trying to locate correct data to reload 357 Mag - 158 gr Berry Bullet with H110 powder. Currently the only listed data for H110 in the Lee manual is under the XTP bullet -- that data states putting roughly 16.6 max load min 15.0. The lee manual has nothing listed under Jacketed or Lead bullets for H110 powder.

So my question to you would be: How are Berry copper plated bullets classified? Would they be an XTP, Lead, or Jacketed?

I am asking because currently there is no reloading data for 158 gr bullet under the Lead or Jacketed bullets. I want to make certain I have correct reloading information before proceeding.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    H110, is a VERY finicky powder..... I do NOT advise a "rookie" using this powder..... One mistake, and no more gun, or worse, a hand ..... For a .357 mag., I would use Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot.... I know that powders, are in SHORT supply, but I urge you to contact Andrew, at PROFIRE ARMS, and get some advice ..... JMHO .....

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    H110 or W296 are excellent powders BUT have a limited use... They perform best running near max and a heavy roll crimp is a must. They would be a great choice for a bullet such as the Hornady XTP, which is a JACKETED bullet... I've also have had good results using it on heavier, cast bullets...

I would not attempt using H110 with a PLATED bullet for a couple of reasons... First, many manufactures of plated state to load somewhere between lead data and lower end jacketed data. The reason is because the plating simply won't hold up at higher velocities... The other reason is magnum performance powders such as H110 require a heavier crimp and I would be afraid this would damage the plating or the much softer lead core...

I'd save the H110 for use with jacketed bullets such as the Hornady's and buy a more moderate powder to use for the plated for plinking purposes...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Pretty good advice so far, so just want to say +1. If you are loading up low cost plinking / target loads, use a more forgiving pistol powder as mentioned. You could even probably come up with a good load with Titegroup.

Also...for clarification, XTP is a particular brand name of Hornady performance bullet that is usually for self defense or hunting. So asking if a Berry's plated is an XTP is akin to asking if a Ford F-150 is a Corvette. Completely different use and completely different methodology to getting the most of their capabilities. That is the reason you are only seeing H110 listed with that type of bullet, and not with other cast lead or lead plated bullets.

From the Hogdgon online reloading center, there are some loads for 158 cast lead that would work with some of the more mild powders.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not call H110 "finicky", it just has a specific role. It is for high velocity, full magnum loads, and has a relatively small charge window (near max to max.). It is a powder that is better to overcharge than undercharge. That said, everything the other fellas have said is true. Load the plated as if you were loading medium-stout cast loads, and save the H110 for your full out magnum loads w/ jacketed, cannelured projectiles.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you are going to load plated on a regular basis, get a Lyman's 49th edition reloading manual, it probably has more cast loads in it than any other manual.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    My my experience with berry plated bullets in a 357 mag were not good (poor accuracy and copper fouling) with 2400 or lilgun. H110 will probably be similar to worse.

If you are going to load plated on a regular basis, get a Lyman's 49th edition reloading manual, it probably has more cast loads in it than any other manual.

Get the 49th and this manual below. They both cover a wide range of powders which can be handy these days.

Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook: 4th Edition" Book

Lyman #: 9817004 UPC #: 011516970046

good luck,

david

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would not call H110 "finicky", it just has a specific role. It is for high velocity, full magnum loads, and has a relatively small charge window (near max to max.). It is a powder that is better to overcharge than undercharge. That said, everything the other fellas have said is true. Load the plated as if you were loading medium-stout cast loads, and save the H110 for your full out magnum loads w/ jacketed, cannelured projectiles.

This is the key piece of information that had not yet been relayed, but when combined with the recommendation to run plated bullets at less-than-maximum velocities helps explain why H110 is a poor powder choice for cast or plated bullets.

Get a different powder for the Berry's or get a quality jacketed bullet for use with H110.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    H110, is a VERY finicky powder..... I do NOT advise a "rookie" using this powder..... One mistake, and no more gun, or worse, a hand ..... For a .357 mag., I would use Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot.... I know that powders, are in SHORT supply, but I urge you to contact Andrew, at PROFIRE ARMS, and get some advice ..... JMHO .....

Funny you mentioned this... ProFire Arms sold me the h110 powder and the berry bullets.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    H110 or W296 are excellent powders BUT have a limited use... They perform best running near max and a heavy roll crimp is a must. They would be a great choice for a bullet such as the Hornady XTP, which is a JACKETED bullet... I've also have had good results using it on heavier, cast bullets...

I would not attempt using H110 with a PLATED bullet for a couple of reasons... First, many manufactures of plated state to load somewhere between lead data and lower end jacketed data. The reason is because the plating simply won't hold up at higher velocities... The other reason is magnum performance powders such as H110 require a heavier crimp and I would be afraid this would damage the plating or the much softer lead core...

I'd save the H110 for use with jacketed bullets such as the Hornady's and buy a more moderate powder to use for the plated for plinking purposes...

I would not load a plated bullet to .357Mag. Max speeds. Keep your plated bullets under 1250fps. or so.

Use this data for some good loads:

Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

I like 8.0 to 8.5gr. of HS-6 under a 158gr. plated bullet--YMMV...Bill.

Pretty good advice so far, so just want to say +1. If you are loading up low cost plinking / target loads, use a more forgiving pistol powder as mentioned. You could even probably come up with a good load with Titegroup.

Also...for clarification, XTP is a particular brand name of Hornady performance bullet that is usually for self defense or hunting. So asking if a Berry's plated is an XTP is akin to asking if a Ford F-150 is a Corvette. Completely different use and completely different methodology to getting the most of their capabilities. That is the reason you are only seeing H110 listed with that type of bullet, and not with other cast lead or lead plated bullets.

From the Hogdgon online reloading center, there are some loads for 158 cast lead that would work with some of the more mild powders.

Good information here... I just received an email from berry bullets in UT they stated that berry bullets are plated and should be treated like a XTP. Although I tend to side with many of you on here that I don't feel safe with the plated bullets on the H110. I did purchase some titegroup powder as well. I will reload those berry bullets with the this type of bullet.

Anyone have suggestion (or a link) to which type of bullets I should purchase with the H110?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Win 231 was my favorite for plinking/target loads in 357 (and many other handgun rounds) old
    school ball powder. That said lil gun or TRAILBOSS would be newer school powders to try. H110 I love with jacketed bullets and hunting loads but like stated it might not be the best with plated but I just shoot cast and jacketed bullets so I have no experience with the plated stuff. I have resisted the use of unique for a while now.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I use 6.5grns of Universal with my 158 grn plated bullets.

I use Xtreme bullets for the simple reason that they have a cannelure and I can still use a roll crimp.

With non-cannelure bullets you will have to use a taper crimp, this will hamper the use of slower burning powders like n110/296.

Do not!! load plated bullets to jacketed bullet velocities, use lead bullet load data, at least when using "magnum" powders.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good information here... I just received an email from berry bullets in UT they stated that berry bullets are plated and should be treated like a XTP. Although I tend to side with many of you on here that I don't feel safe with the plated bullets on the H110. I did purchase some titegroup powder as well. I will reload those berry bullets with the this type of bullet.

Anyone have suggestion (or a link) to which type of bullets I should purchase with the H110?

I would NOT agree with their statement as it pertains to .357 mag with H110.... Now if we were talking about another powder and a caliber such as .45 ACP with a 230gr bullet, that could very well be correct...

As for what bullet for the H110... The Hornady XTP line is hard to beat for performance... The Speer Gold Dots are also good, but I don't feel the price difference is worth it... I have found the Hornady's fly just as straight as the Gold Dots for considerably less $....

One other thing to maybe research... I have read, but don't know the validity of, different bullet weights... There are some with the opinion that some damage can be done with the lighter weight bullets such as the 125 gr when using magnum powders... Damage to the forcing cone and maybe top strap erosion if I remember right... Again, I don't know much about this, but I have always stuck with the 158 gr just in case there was some truth to any of this... Maybe someone will come along who can add more clarity to this for you...

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I would NOT agree with their statement as it pertains to .357 mag with H110.... Now if we were talking about another powder and a caliber such as .45 ACP with a 230gr bullet, that could very well be correct...

As for what bullet for the H110... The Hornady XTP line is hard to beat for performance... The Speer Gold Dots are also good, but I don't feel the price difference is worth it... I have found the Hornady's fly just as straight as the Gold Dots for considerably less $....

One other thing to maybe research... I have read, but don't know the validity of, different bullet weights... There are some with the opinion that some damage can be done with the lighter weight bullets such as the 125 gr when using magnum powders... Damage to the forcing cone and maybe top strap erosion if I remember right... Again, I don't know much about this, but I have always stuck with the 158 gr just in case there was some truth to any of this... Maybe someone will come along who can add more clarity to this for you...

Where do you buy your Hornaday XTP bullets? I can't seem to locate a large count of bullets to purchase. I'd like to get some XTP to use the H110.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This is why INGO and this forum exists. I praise everyone who has offered you their help and advice. My experience with H110 has only been with my Ruger 44 mag rifle. A few tenths of a grain difference makes a BIG difference on POI. Be careful and work up slowly.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I would suggest using magnum pistol primers with H-110. If your looking for some hornady XTP's I would attend the indy 1500 show this weekend.

Thats the plan to attend that show this weekend. I will definitely be looking for some xpt bullets.

You mention magnum primers... what is the difference between small pistol primer & magnum?

Top Bottom