• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zexrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2023
    FORT WAYNE.
    They need more harsh punishment. I would support them holding them until trail. Why should they be trusted after repeating bad behavior. So they get bailed out to commit more crimes?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Here's a thought...
    How about we hold every "felon in possession of a firearm" in jail without bail until trial. Do you think that would reduce shootings?
    I don't think nonviolent felonies should remove gun rights automatically.

People with prior violent criminal histories? Absolutely yes, deny bail. No more of this 40+ violent crime arrests while out on bail from the other violent crimes nonsense.

Ultimately there is relatively little that can realistically be done to preemp first time criminals. Like if I just roll out of bed tomorrow and decide to hold up an armored car, there is almost nothing the law can do to stop me first unless I'm exceptionally stupid. But repeat violent offenders are a very different story, when we catch them the second time we have a pattern and we have an opportunity. It's very obvious that low/no bail and this ankle monitor crap isn't working.

But, I absolutely do acknowledge that endless imprisonment without trial is a huge constitutional violation (see: J6 political prisoners), so I don't think we can make this change without major court reform and dramatic acceleration of trial timelines.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    There is not enough jail space.
    Great thought though........

I've thought of this also. Yes, conventional housing is a problem. Since this particular type of housing is only temporary perhaps a temporary solution is more appropriate. There was this Sheriff in a western state somewhere who chose to put folks in tents for a while...maybe a solution that is equally as uncomfortable as it is embarrassing is needed. Make the punishment unpleasant and the behavior that earned that moment tends to fade. I hated getting punished as a kid, it didn't take much to deter me from repeating what earned those stripes...

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I've thought of this also. Yes, conventional housing is a problem. Since this particular type of housing is only temporary perhaps a temporary solution is more appropriate. There was this Sheriff in a western state somewhere who chose to put folks in tents for a while...maybe a solution that is equally as uncomfortable as it is embarrassing is needed. Make the punishment unpleasant and the behavior that earned that moment tends to fade. I hated getting punished as a kid, it didn't take much to deter me from repeating what earned those stripes...
    That was Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Ariz. He also made them wear pink jumpsuits. lol

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    First and foremost we need to apply the laws we have and apply them fully. We need to stop all the no bail, early release crap. We need to figure out how to influence the neighboring states into applying laws to criminals.

If we need more jails, so be it. If we can rebuild Ukraine, we can build a few new jails.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I know my opinion isn't popular, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone that's free to walk the streets is free to keep and bear arms, regardless of criminal record.
    Only problem with your thought is the prosecution is not applying the law to the criminals. There are some pretty bad people walking the streets that should be in jail. Let’s clean things up before we go your route.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I would be happy to spend more in Marion County Tax if I knew it would go directly to building and maintaining 3x the space we have now. With that if your not a violent offender you shouldn't be in jail. Ankle monitored house arrest for non violent offenders

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Only problem with your thought is the prosecution is not applying the law to the criminals. There are some pretty bad people walking the streets that should be in jail. Let’s clean things up before we go your route.
    That's not a problem with my thinking or my route. That's a prosecutor problem. Take it up with them.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    That's not a problem with my thinking or my route. That's a prosecutor problem. Take it up with them.
    Did I say that was your problem? If you read my statement, I said we need to clean things up before we took your route. I never said your thinking was a problem. Relax.

BTW, it’s not just the prosecutors problem. It becomes ours. When criminals are allowed to walk the streets, repeat crimes occur - people suffer…some even die.

Top Bottom