• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Hello INGO's, been awhile since I've visited since moving to PA. Reporting back due to a interesting afternon I had today...

Well folks, I was so excited that I was finally able to get myself a 5.5" Redhawk. And a brand new one at that. Just brought this home yesterday and it sure was not cheap. Went to the range this afternoon to eagerly try her out. Well, took my first shot, and it sure was different than what I'm used to, especially when I saw a shiny object tumbling down the concrete floor of the range. Went out to range officer and told him I have a problem. He asked what it was. I showed him my new Redhawk "snub-nose" and told him that my barrel is at the other end of the range and I need someone to get it for me. He said, yeah, it looks like you have a problem. Drew a bit of attention when he had to call a cease fire so he could retreive it for me.
    So, going to give Ruger a call tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it goes. They've taken care of me in the past and I'm hoping they'll do it again.
    Was a beautiful revolver otherwise... My bullet still hit the target too, it was about 2' below POA though.

blown3.jpg

blown2.jpg

blown1.jpg

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Supposedly the Redhawk had this problem before and spurred the design of the heftier Super Redhawk frame. They found that whatever they used to lock the barrel in was the problem and changed to something else so still sell the Redhawk. Looks like this was probably a mfg defect in the barrel or maybe they still have a problem.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Glad you are ok. That would have made a great stopping round with all them grains. It is hollow core also...

It lauched pretty darned fast too! Barrel missed the target though. Would have liked to see what sort of hole it would have punched...

Well I spoke with Ruger this morning and the conversation basically amounted to, "we'll take a look at it" and not much more than that. UPS is on their way tomorrow to pick it up....

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Supposedly the Redhawk had this problem before

Yes, IIRC, it was the chemical used in the the lost wax process which caused embrittlement of the barrel.

Well I spoke with Ruger this morning and the conversation basically amounted to, "we'll take a look at it" and not much more than that. UPS is on their way tomorrow to pick it up....

When I broke my last Ruger (Bisley Blackhawk in .44), the company fixed it (replaced the barrel) within a couple of weeks. The others I have busted have been repaired within a month, IIRC.

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    How many have you broken?

Yes, IIRC, it was the chemical used in the the lost wax process which caused embrittlement of the barrel.

When I broke my last Ruger (Bisley Blackhawk in .44), the company fixed it (replaced the barrel) within a couple of weeks. The others I have busted have been repaired within a month, IIRC.

Just wondering...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How many have you broken?

Revolvers? A bunch, maybe a dozen or so. Shot to death. E.g., broke a Colt Frontier in half.

Ruger revolvers? I believe four. The Blackhawk Bisley I broke without shooting.:D

Bought it back in 2007 just before Ruger did a price increase at Sportman's Warehouse here in Lafayette. Kid boxed it up and filled out the 4473 and paid for it and left.

Got it home and was oiling it up to carry and shoot as I was going skiing the next day. Cylinder would not turn.

Took it back to Sportman's Warehouse and they sent it back to Ruger.

Lesson learned: guns break, buy multiple copies of the guns you like.

Top Bottom