• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The question that I have is why wasn’t he arrested for shooting a gun in the house days earlier? We already have laws on the books that should of been used.

At least according to the article they couldn't find where the shots fired a few days earlier came from. Guessing they couldn't pinpoint from where due to lack of evidence(shell casings) :dunno:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    The father reported when it happen.

Thats not what i gather from the article. It states police subsequently learned that the guy liked to shoot from the window from the father. Subsequently, being the key word. So they learned after the fact he did this, which then led to the red flag law being used.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We can:

Complain to leadership with phone calls, letters and e-mails.

Pay lobbyists to sway leadership position.

Vote.

That's really about it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thats not what i gather from the article. It states police subsequently learned that the guy liked to shoot from the window from the father. Subsequently, being the key word. So they learned after the fact he did this, which then led to the red flag law being used.
    I doubt that there is a statute of limitations of a couple of days on that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I doubt that there is a statute of limitations of a couple of days on that.

Would the guy shooting from the window have commited a misdemeanor or felony? If a misdemeanor, am I correct that LE would still need more evidence than just what the father said? I mean it sounds like all they had would be he said, he said. I'm not sure that would be enough to justify probable cause. And since many of us stand against red flag laws it would seem we would expect a little more evidence than just what his father said. Also I know the criminal code changed a lot a few years ago, but for a misdemeanor isn't it still best for an officer to be witness in absence of solid evidence?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Would the guy shooting from the window have commited a misdemeanor or felony? If a misdemeanor, am I correct that LE would still need more evidence than just what the father said? I mean it sounds like all they had would be he said, he said. I'm not sure that would be enough to justify probable cause. And since many of us stand against red flag laws it would seem we would expect a little more evidence than just what his father said. Also I know the criminal code changed a lot a few years ago, but for a misdemeanor isn't it still best for an officer to be witness in absence of solid evidence?

I don't necessarily stand against red flag laws, where it's obvious there's a problem, and where common sense prevails. Unfortunately, that's hard to achieve in today's environment. There ARE people who need an interdiction to their use of weapons, but the devil's in the details. Do I trust the powers that be to apply common sense to any particular situation? Rarely, so maybe I'm agreeing with you. I've personally seen situations that warranted red flag procedures (before they even existed), and the outcome was not pretty.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't necessarily stand against red flag laws, where it's obvious there's a problem, and where common sense prevails. Unfortunately, that's hard to achieve in today's environment. There ARE people who need an interdiction to their use of weapons, but the devil's in the details. Do I trust the powers that be to apply common sense to any particular situation? Rarely, so maybe I'm agreeing with you. I've personally seen situations that warranted red flag procedures (before they even existed), and the outcome was not pretty.

I too would agree there are some who need an interdiction and have guns confiscated..pending a psych evaluation & or investigation. But, I would say too that IF a LE officer or dept is holding guns for such an investigation the law needs to be very specific how/ when those guns are to be returned. Likewise the should be held to a higher level in preserving an individuals property. Ir should be photographed when recieved, boxed and kept in a climate controlled environment. This BS of cramming long guns into a barrel full of other guns is BS and should never happen. Or dropping andguns into a bulk container of other handguns is BS too. I have seen such barrels and heard from LE that is often how they are stored unless a piece of evidence in a crime.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not contending that current Indiana law (or any other current law) is the best approach, but with appropriate checks and balances, I believe that some sort of "red flag" law would be constitutional and would, in fact, be a good idea.

In theory (putting aside how exactly you prove it), if we knew that someone was threatening imminent violence or self-harm, taking away the means to inflict immediately inflict that harm is justified.

The problem, of course, and as always, is how to do this in a way that respects rights and does not give power to those who would lie to harm another. It's not at all an easy task.

rhino thinks that part needs to be established long before any such law is enacted. rhino is not comfortable with feeling around in the dark while there is a sharp knife exposed. Well, we know what rhino would do in that analogy, but he doesn't like it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    rhino thinks that part needs to be established long before any such law is enacted. rhino is not comfortable with feeling around in the dark while there is a sharp knife exposed. Well, we know what rhino would do in that analogy, but he doesn't like it.
    I got tourniquets for Christmas. Keep my number on speed dial. :D

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Has rhino been hanging around jedi lately?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    We can:

Complain to leadership with phone calls, letters and e-mails.

Pay lobbyists to sway leadership position.

Vote.

That's really about it.

Nope, that's not really it. That's the beginning to a bloody ending.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    This unconstitutional, absurd and illegal law will provide full employment for attorneys all over the country until some Federal courts step in and put a stop to this madness. It is orchestrated by left wing nut politicians who are playing to certain constituencies in return for campaign funding. It is ridiculous how money has perverted our political system. Makes me nuts! Happy New Year, everyone.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This unconstitutional, absurd and illegal law will provide full employment for attorneys all over the country until some Federal courts step in and put a stop to this madness. It is orchestrated by left wing nut politicians who are playing to certain constituencies in return for campaign funding. It is ridiculous how money has perverted our political system. Makes me nuts! Happy New Year, everyone.
    It isn't even a law.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Problem is, it seems EVERYONE is on board.

But why would you want dangerous people to have guns?
    That's what they say.

No matter how many times you talk about proof, innocent, bad people calling in so women get their gun taken and can't defend themselves...
    Doesn't matter. Until we can knock them over the head with SOMETHING, they are controlling the narrative.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know someone that got a gun to defend herself.
    It's ALMOST sunk through to her when I explained the person she was AFRAID OF, only had to call the threat in on her, she'd lose her guns... AND THEN WHAT?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The next step.

[video=youtube;bnIaLoSlFWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIaLoSlFWg[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know someone that got a gun to defend herself.
    It's ALMOST sunk through to her when I explained the person she was AFRAID OF, only had to call the threat in on her, she'd lose her guns... AND THEN WHAT?
    Did she threaten to harm or kill the other person?

Is she mentally unstable? Prescribed medication and not taking it? Would it be obvious that she's a threat to herself or others?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom