• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    Looking for any input on red dot sights specifically for a Tavor. Will be a 100 yard and in gun for sure. Mainly looking at the Meprolight red dots as I hear the back up iron sights sit a little higher than most and these line up perfectly.

Anyone have any experiance with the RDS TRU dot Meprolight vs the Pro version? They look so similar but have quite a price difference. Would also consider similar sights as well (maybe EOtech or similar). Just looking for input before I drop this amount of coin

Thanks!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What would make you choose the pro over the tru dot version? It really seems to me the only difference is the knob and hood.

Per the folks at the Mako Group, I was told the Tru-Dot RDS Pro is the M-5, rebranded for the US market. True military grade gear. The Tru-Dot RDS does not undergo the same testing and certification process. The hood is actually the same for both: polymer. I've had both and would buy the Pro again but only for 20% or 30% off, not for full MSRP.

I wrote that review and I believe those questions were addressed but always glad to help out.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    No experience with the RDS. I've had a couple of the Meprolight M21's. I really liked them, but the washout effect can be annoying. I currently have a MOR M&P on my Tavor (Mepro MOR Tri-Powered Reflex Sight with Red Laser Pointer - Optics - Meprolight), and it's a really impressive sight. Especially if you are using NVG's. It's also pretty cool how the switch is made for the cutout in the OEM forearm.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    Thank you for all the input. I ended up ordering the meprolight tru-dot rds sight as it really seemed like the best value for the platform and my needs. Looking forward to trying it out as this will be my first higher end red dot optic and it seems like a great fit for the Tavor

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No experience with the RDS. I've had a couple of the Meprolight M21's. I really liked them, but the washout effect can be annoying. I currently have a MOR M&P on my Tavor (Mepro MOR Tri-Powered Reflex Sight with Red Laser Pointer - Optics - Meprolight), and it's a really impressive sight. Especially if you are using NVG's. It's also pretty cool how the switch is made for the cutout in the OEM forearm.

what is on the bottom of the grip/trigger guard on your tavor?

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    I've temporarily got a Vortex Strikefire on mine, but it will ultimately be swapped back to my Trijicon MRO. The MRO is perfect for this gun, for me.

i did not care for the MRO at all although it seemed like a very high quality product. I like a bigger and more "open" field of view. Same can be said for the aimpoints for my preferences.

This is being said, I've not yet handled the Tru-dot :nailbite:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thank you for all the input. I ended up ordering the meprolight tru-dot rds sight as it really seemed like the best value for the platform and my needs. Looking forward to trying it out as this will be my first higher end red dot optic and it seems like a great fit for the Tavor

Good choice. I have the Tru-Dot on my Tavor and love it. The optic works well, is the right height - for me anyway, and seems appropriate to have an Israeli optic on an Israeli rifle.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am also using a Aimpoint PRO on my Tavor.

I love the Pro, too, and tried it on the Tavor. Great option, as well.

I've now got my MRO back on. My MRO was an early serial number and had a problem. They swapped it out for a new one and they improved it. It had a slight blue tint before, which didn't bug me, but bothered some people. Now, that's gone. Also now eliminated was an occasional reddish glare in indoor lighting (which again, did not bother me and my Pro has, as well).

The light weight and field of view of the MRO is just fantastic. I can move it way out front and not affect the balance of the rifle. Also, the lower 1/3 mount raises it up a bit, which is good, because the rail isn't as high as on an AR.

Let us know what you choose and how you like it! I just ordered a 9mm conversion so I can shoot this thing at Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish and Game. Can't wait to give it a run!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I love the Pro, too, and tried it on the Tavor. Great option, as well.

I've now got my MRO back on. My MRO was an early serial number and had a problem. They swapped it out for a new one and they improved it. It had a slight blue tint before, which didn't bug me, but bothered some people. Now, that's gone. Also now eliminated was an occasional reddish glare in indoor lighting (which again, did not bother me and my Pro has, as well).

The light weight and field of view of the MRO is just fantastic. I can move it way out front and not affect the balance of the rifle. Also, the lower 1/3 mount raises it up a bit, which is good, because the rail isn't as high as on an AR.

Let us know what you choose and how you like it! I just ordered a 9mm conversion so I can shoot this thing at Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish and Game. Can't wait to give it a run!

I was unaware they were addressing some of the issues with the MRO. That is good to know.

Top Bottom