• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I had the same issue with my Kimber 82G. It had potential, but always threw a couple of flyers per group. I did trigger work, bedding, pillars etc. Only marginal gains. Then I looked at the crown with a loop. They had cut the muzzle square and the put a small recess over the bore. On my rifle the recess was off center. I brought it to Zach at ZR Tactical here in Noblesville. Zach put an 11 degree crown on it and now the rifle shoots like it supposed to. Zach does great work and it was a quick turn around. I know he's not close , but he's done it successfully before and that should count for something. OBTW he also does Ceracoating .

The attached target were shot at an indoor 100 yard range. I got lucky that day. zero wind , good light, empty range. I've not been able to repeat it, but now it's all on me.

Good Luck
    Bob
    Thanks for the info. A lot of places claim to be gunsmiths, but I feel that few are up to this type of job. Looks like Zach does a great job. I have seen many stories like yours on some rimfire benchrest forums. The 82G can shoot great, but many need a recrown to do that. Nice groups. The bad part is, you can't blame the gun now when the groups aren't great.

My sister lives in Noblesville, so I may need to go visit and get the crown taken care of. Win/win. There are a couple smiths I will talk with to determine what works best. Always good to have options. Too bad most of my good options are about 2 hours away. Thanks again.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I emailed and heard back from Armory 219. They said they could crown the barrel. It's tempting since they are close. I will mull that over. Don't know that they have experience with precision rimfire rifles.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I asked Armory 219 about the crown work, and the replay was:

Target rifles aren't my specialty but I can cut an 11⁰ crown.

I may call and set up a time to bring him the Kimber.

Top Bottom