• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have a nice Kimber 82G that I got from the CMP years ago at Camp Perry. It has some potential as a good shooter, but I felt a possible burr or scratch at the muzzle near the crown. It may be causing the occasional erratic shot. I've read on some benchreast forums that most 82Gs might benefit from a better crown.

Is there any gunsmith around NW Indiana (I'm near Hobart) that could do a nice job of recrowning that rifle? I did a search, but did not find anything that answered my question. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    Would you spend the money for postsecondary education knowing that you could very quickly get legislated out of a job?
    I wouldn’t do it as a primary means of income, that’s for sure. It’s just sad. Would be interested in a class taught by a smith to learn some advanced skills tho.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I did a little research on him online. He sounds great, but he's about 2 hours away. If there is no one closer, I may give him a call. Thanks.
    There used to be a guy just north of Monticello. Between 39&421 Monon area. Can't recall his name, hopefully another member can remember. Not sure if he still does work.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Dont know if they do what you're needing but could call 219 Armory in Valpo. They're a new shop. Had him install some sights for me and did a great job with fast turnaround

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    quick update. I emailed 219 about transfers and ceracoat a few minutes ago, and got a response freaky fast! They will be doing ceracoat in a few months ( AMEN!) and transfers are $10.00 in Feb.! Too bad everything is so expensive. I love competition!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    quick update. I emailed 219 about transfers and ceracoat a few minutes ago, and got a response freaky fast! They will be doing ceracoat in a few months ( AMEN!) and transfers are $10.00 in Feb.! Too bad everything is so expensive. I love competition
    I didn't realize you were in the area or i would have offered to let you try out my glock triggers to get an idea.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    They sell a kit to re-crown barrels, i bought one from midway years ago, i think brownells has them too, it isn't all that hard or tedious unless it is a huge ding!

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    I had the same issue with my Kimber 82G. It had potential, but always threw a couple of flyers per group. I did trigger work, bedding, pillars etc. Only marginal gains. Then I looked at the crown with a loop. They had cut the muzzle square and the put a small recess over the bore. On my rifle the recess was off center. I brought it to Zach at ZR Tactical here in Noblesville. Zach put an 11 degree crown on it and now the rifle shoots like it supposed to. Zach does great work and it was a quick turn around. I know he's not close , but he's done it successfully before and that should count for something. OBTW he also does Ceracoating .

The attached target were shot at an indoor 100 yard range. I got lucky that day. zero wind , good light, empty range. I've not been able to repeat it, but now it's all on me.

Good Luck
    Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_164349017.jpg
      IMG_20201231_164349017.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 13
    Top Bottom