• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Lately I've been thinking it would be a good idea to have a hatchet in my BOB. After doing a 2 day/1 night dry run in the woods, I found that my current knife was capable of cutting smaller logs, but it definitely wouldn't hold up long term. I feel that a hatchet would be a better fit in my bag. I have a smaller knife for dressing small game and more intricate tasks and EDC on me at all times FYI.
    I guess this thread is actually for two things. The first being, is it a good idea to have a hatchet in a BOB? The other being, what would be a solid recommendation in the $50ish dollar range (I realize that isn't much). Let me know if that price range is unreasonable.

On a side note, Gerber unveiled the new BG survival hatchet (I thought anything with the bear grylls name on it was garbage, but this offering actually looks promising) at the 2013 Shot Show. It retails for around $40 and looks pretty solid. But maybe i'm wrong.

Nemesis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Harrison County
    I have several gerber hatchet's, ive had them for years and i've put them through a lot of abuse, I even ran over one with a 7k lb tractor and didn't even phase it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Estwing. THey also make tomahawks now. While I really like my Estwing hatchet and axe, I LOVE my Bahco laplander saw. Light, tough and I use it a lot around camp.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    A lot of blade guys recommended the Cold Steel hatchets, I bought the rifleman and its great.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Riflemans-American-Hickory/dp/B000Q9BG4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359207408&sr=8-1&keywords=cold+steel+rifleman%27s+hawk]Amazon.com: Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk American Hickory Handle: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

There were a couple other cold steel hawks that were highly suggested (all the American made ones, whodathunk?). For the price I don't think you can find anything as good.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I have the SOG FO1TTactical Tomahawk with my go-bag. It's main purpose is realistically as a tactical tool, and to a lesser degree usable as a hatchet. If you were looking for a weapon with a cross-over purpose, this may serve, but for a good bit of wood chopping would probably not be a good choice (not really built for it and perhaps too light).

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I have the SOG FO1TTactical Tomahawk with my go-bag. It's main purpose is realistically as a tactical tool, and to a lesser degree usable as a hatchet. If you were looking for a weapon with a cross-over purpose, this may serve, but for a good bit of wood chopping would probably not be a good choice (not really built for it and perhaps too light).

I have a gun for self defense. This will be for cutting wood.

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you want to spend less than $50, I'd recommend Fiskars hatchet [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7850-X7-14-Inch-Hatchet/dp/B0002YTO7E/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359298338&sr=1-3&keywords=fiskars+axe]Amazon.com: Fiskars 7850 X7 14-Inch Hatchet: Home Improvement[/ame]
    or Marble knives Firemans shovel machete [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Marble-Knives-Firemans-Shovel-Machete/dp/B005I58BQC]Amazon.com: Marble Knives 5015 Firemans Shovel Machete: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
    if you want something that last lifetime and stay under $100 then Wetterlings axe would be my choice [ame=http://www.amazon.com/S-A-Wetterling-Axe-Wetterlings-Axes/dp/B002QETWE8]S.A. Wetterling Axe 16H S.A. Wetterlings Axes - Large Hunters Axe - Amazon.com[/ame].

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I have a wetterlings large hunting axe. I like it, but would have gotten a 19-20 incher, and maybe gone with a gransfors bruks (sp?) If I had it to do over again.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The first being, is it a good idea to have a hatchet in a BOB?
    My first real survival knife was a hatchet. At 11 years old it sure as hell was not my idea but that is how my Dad played it. He even gave me a belt holster for it. The same Xmas he also gave me a Buck 116 Caper knife. The handle is bigger then the blade. Major WTF a fixed blade knife too small to kill a bear with and a Hatchet? You could use the knife to spread peanut butter on a log then kill the bear with the hatchet.

38 years later I still have both and that cheap hatchet lives in the garden shed now. You can do a lot with a hatchet and a small blade if you take the time to learn it.

That being said, in my packs you will always find a large blade and a cheap Fiskars saw. For the money and just mere ounces in weight a saw tears it up quick. The Silky saws are the best I have ever owned. Just awesome.

In my truck there are many items I can use in camp or toss in a pack, including Estwing rock hammer and hatchet. Estwing is excellent but they are heavy. The smallest Fiskars hatchet which is too short for chopping safely but great for game cleaning and camp kitchen work. One of the longer versions would be nice in a pack. Not too expensive, not too heavy.

There is also a sheath that has a Silky saw, hori-hori knife and anvil pruners. For the weight of a typical hatchet I will toss that in instead. I use thes tools year round so I am very familiar with what I can do with each.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Great. Now I got it in my head that I need a good hatchet. All I got is

59505683.png

Top Bottom