• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I have to add, OP, that South Bend, Ft Wayne, and even Evansville are very gun friendly. Open carry is encouraged :D :D **

** The opinions posted in this thread are not necessarily the opinions of the actual munipalities mentioned. It is strongly suggested that you do your own research, at which time you will learn that they are patently false and should have posted in purple text.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    south bend native here.

south bend is ok to live by, but i would want to live in it. Mishawaka is pretty decent and its right next to it. 10 mins from michigan so you can go get alcohol on sundays. We get a ton of snow though.

Ill throw in that im not a big fan of Lafayette, or ft wayne. The last time i was in the city of ft wayne it seemed like it was going downhill fast, although the same could be said for parts of south bend. lafayette seemed like it never even got uphill.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Winamac is a nice little town. So small it's 30 miles to the nearest Walmart in any compass direction. :D
    Winamac Fish and Wildlife range is close, the Tippecanoe river is great for Smallmouth, Pike, and Rockbass.

OP, are you moving for a job, family, retirement?

I have to 2nd this. I've never lived there but have been there a few times. Nice little town.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    More info

A little more info. Moving because the wife got a promotion. She will be working in and around the places listed (well not actually in Lafayette but it's the closest larger town on that side of here area) so a relatively centralized location would be nice, but no required. I like to shoot, she likes to shop, we both like going to the movies. Being 45-60 min away from good shopping, shooting, or a movie theater isn't a real big deal though as we are used to it. Both of us are under 30.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Lethgar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    I was tempted to say "avoid Jasper county at all costs" but the more I think about it, Rensselaer isn't a half bad little town and it would be right up your alley - but with nowhere to shoot or fish around here, you'd wind up in the same predicament I'm in. You may have a little better luck with that moving outside Ft Wayne.

Frankfurt or Tipton would also put you close to Lafayette with some good shooting access in the country.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't move to Lafayette if you don't like high winds from Oct to June, terrible roads, and bad factory smells that pollute the city.

High winds? WTF? What "high winds"? How is Lafayette causing high winds?:laugh:

The roads? Just fine and getting better after all the construction.

Bad factory smells? It's just burning starch at ADM/Staley. No big deal.

I like to shoot, she likes to shop, we both like going to the movies. Being 45-60 min away from good shopping, shooting, or a movie theater isn't a real big deal though as we are used to it. Both of us are under 30.

Lafayette has plenty of shooting, shopping, shopping for shooting supplies, and movies. Great restaurants, lots of nightlife opportunities, great housing stock and a sane city government.

If you don't want to live in the city, I would suggest Battle Ground or maybe Rossville (always found it a very pleasant little town).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    OP, are you planning on looking for a job for yourself? Lafayette has several factories and other businesses. Don't know what you're going to find in a town like Winamac.

On second thought, Kirk lives in Lafayette. You don't want to live there.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Lots of good small towns in Wabash Co.....houses are cheaper, taxes are lower, except for county taxes which are now sky high. You have Bass and Bucks with a 740 yard range. Warsaw in Koskiosko Co. is a still a growing town, real estate taxes seem to be way high though.....if you have the money I would move to Estes Park, CO myself....lol

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    High winds? WTF? What "high winds"? How is Lafayette causing high winds?:laugh:

The roads? Just fine and getting better after all the construction.

Bad factory smells? It's just burning starch at ADM/Staley. No big deal.

lol right?

In one trip to the mailbox across the street I can get blown into a lake sized road crater and spend the rest of the day until the wind calms down watching cows and Purdue students(Sometimes, one in the same.) fly through the air. All while gradually losing my sense of smell due to factory pollution.

True story....Just last week I employed a tug boat captain to pull my truck out of a Lake Superior pothole on Sagamore Pkwy in the rain. Try as he might, he couldn't best the hurricane wind and floated helplessly down the road before capsizing. Never to be seen again. We held a candlelight vigil, but it was cut short due to low light through high winds. Truly a smelly situation.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    lol right?

In one trip to the mailbox across the street I can get blown into a lake sized road crater and spend the rest of the day until the wind calms down watching cows and Purdue students(Sometimes, one in the same.) fly through the air. All while gradually losing my sense of smell due to factory pollution.

True story....Just last week I employed a tug boat captain to pull my truck out of a Lake Superior pothole on Sagamore Pkwy in the rain. Try as he might, he couldn't best the hurricane wind and floated helplessly down the road before capsizing. Never to be seen again. We held a candlelight vigil, but it was cut short due to low light through high winds. Truly a smelly situation.

I remember a letter to the editor when they started the landscaping project on 52 through town. The writer asked what the point of the landscaping was when you wouldn't be able to see it for your eyeballs rattling on the road.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Royal Center (between Logansport and Winamac)... Population of like 400 (maybe)... Dont remember the last time the town marshal caught someone speeding, let alone a crime happening here. So peaceful, great place to live. Only way Im moving is into the middle of B.F.E.

HarleyHunter04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Wabash County, Indiana
    Lots of good small towns in Wabash Co.....houses are cheaper, taxes are lower, except for county taxes which are now sky high. You have Bass and Bucks with a 740 yard range. Warsaw in Koskiosko Co. is a still a growing town, real estate taxes seem to be way high though.....if you have the money I would move to Estes Park, CO myself....lol

The country tax for me is almost as much as my state deduction weekly.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In one trip to the mailbox across the street I can get blown into a lake sized road crater

Which road?

Have you told the city engineer?

How is Lafayette more windy than other cities in Indiana?:dunno:

Lafayette has a below average wind speed.

What are the top ten least windy cities in the United States

Were you injured as a child by the wind?:D

On second thought, Kirk lives in Lafayette. You don't want to live there.

Dude, once the construction is done my place will be squared away . . . soon (I hope).:D

Top Bottom