• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    Has anybody shot both the Taurus model 85 polymer in 38 special and the Taurus TCP in .380? Can you comment on the recoil between the two? Which would be easier for a woman to shoot? Thanks.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    That being said, there are other .380s that would be better still, and still about the same price as the TCP.

Bersa Thunder 380 for one. Bigger/heavier. Steel frame. Nice grip.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That being said, there are other .380s that would be better still, and still about the same price as the TCP.

Bersa Thunder 380 for one. Bigger/heavier. Steel frame. Nice grip.

I gave away my Bersa Thunder .380 this year on Mothers Day. Mom was ohhh so happy, but I've been ohhh so sad.
    I didn't shoot it much, but I still miss that little gun and I'll probably replace it.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    It will be interesting to find out which has less recoil, especially with non +p .38 rounds. Regarding the Taurus Polymer 38, I actually ordered one from Kygunco last week that was on sale for a great price. I pick it up tomorrow. Quite often, I see a TCP for sale in the $169-$189 range online, but I have not pulled the trigger yet. I have never shot one of those tiny .380s before (or any 380 for that matter) and want to see what one is like before making a purchase.

At those prices and with the quality reviews, it is almost worth it to take the risk of buying it without having shot it before.

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    It will be interesting to find out which has less recoil, especially with non +p .38 rounds. Regarding the Taurus Polymer 38, I actually ordered one from Kygunco last week that was on sale for a great price. I pick it up tomorrow. Quite often, I see a TCP for sale in the $169-$189 range online, but I have not pulled the trigger yet. I have never shot one of those tiny .380s before (or any 380 for that matter) and want to see what one is like before making a purchase.

At those prices and with the quality reviews, it is almost worth it to take the risk of buying it without having shot it before.

Can you post how the recoil is on the 38 polymer? Did you get one of the white blemished ones? Those are the ones I was looking at for my wife. I like the color scheme, but I'm afraid it will be so much recoil that it really turns her off from shooting.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I used to have a Taurus 851 lightweight snubby and with +p rounds that little one pound gun had a sharp recoil. Manageable but for must people it was too much. I gave it to my brother for Christmas. I miss that thing and plan on getting another one day. For pocket carry I would choose the TCP. I enjoyed carrying a snubnose appendix a lot. Very comfortable

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I've shot small lightweight 38 specials and I have a TCP 738.

The 738 has much less felt recoil.

Same for me.

However, my TCP was unreliable, even after 2 trips back to Taurus, so I traded it and got an LCP. The LCP has been flawless.

Also, a friend failed to heed my warning and bought a TCP. On the second shot, it jammed so badly that a gunsmith had to take it apart before he could send it back.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Same for me.

However, my TCP was unreliable, even after 2 trips back to Taurus, so I traded it and got an LCP. The LCP has been flawless.

Also, a friend failed to heed my warning and bought a TCP. On the second shot, it jammed so badly that a gunsmith had to take it apart before he could send it back.
    The one my wife has is 100% reliable so far with ball ammo and jhp. The only thing I did to it when we got it was to take it apart and thoroughly clean it. I also lubed it with TW25B grease.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The one my wife has is 100% reliable so far with ball ammo and jhp. The only thing I did to it when we got it was to take it apart and thoroughly clean it. I also lubed it with TW25B grease.

Happy for you. It's a nice gun if it works. If you have a good one, don't get rid of it - don't bet on getting lucky with the next one. Trust me - mine was thoroughly cleaned and lubed - it just plain didn't work consistently.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Happy for you. It's a nice gun if it works. If you have a good one, don't get rid of it - don't bet on getting lucky with the next one. Trust me - mine was thoroughly cleaned and lubed - it just plain didn't work consistently.
    My wife's Taurus TCP 738 is the stainless steel version. I don't know if that would make a difference. She went from a S&W model 60 to the Taurus. She's probably never going to give up the TCP. I was never a Taurus fan, but I'm a believer in this pistol. Besides being reliable, the trigger pull is smooth and light; has a slide lock and the pistol is very compact and light weight. I carry a Kahr CM9 now (I used to carry a S&W 642) and am pleased with it. If I ever decide to go the .380 route, the Taurus TCP 738s will be tops on my list.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    My wife likes my TCP so much that it's her current EDC, although it will probably get replaced with a glock 42 in the future. Will still hold on to the Taurus, though.

Top Bottom